Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Prime Cuts IV - Box Rip....Here we go.

I just bought a box of 2008 Prime Cuts IV. Price was $219.99 at my local shop. I've seen some box breaks online, and I'm kind of excited to rip this one open. Here's hoping for a Shoeless Joe.

Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

Comments

• Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Box has a nice tamperproof checkerboard security seal. You break open the box and you see a checklist, like with all Donruss/Leaf/Playoff products. Underneath the checklist is your "big hit" card for the box. And the "big hit" is.....groan. A Rick Porcello auto numbered to #249. Who is this guy? A HOF'er would have been nice.

• Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Well???? Its been a whole minute! image Good luck with the rip. I would love to see the scans.
  • Options
    I'm also disappointed to report that the card moves both left to right and top to bottom within the "slab"

• Options
    Bigger scans please!
  • Options

<< <i>I'm also disappointed to report that the card moves both left to right and top to bottom within the "slab" >>

Most slabbed cards do
  • Options
    Underneath the "big hit" is this box containing the remaining cards. Let's hope for some luck here....

• Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Good luck man!!!!
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bigger scans please! >>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm also disappointed to report that the card moves both left to right and top to bottom within the "slab" >>

Most slabbed cards do >>

It moves quite a bit though and with the plastic sides, it's only a matter of time before there is some edge damage to these cards.

• Options
    LOL, I'm working on it.

• Options
    OK, scans should be fixed now. On top we have two base cards numbered to 249. Brett and Bench.

• Options
    Next up is a thicker stock insert card of Clemente. Curiously, it is not numbered.

• Options

<< <i>OK, scans should be fixed now. On top we have two base cards numbered to 249. Brett and Yount.

image >>

Doesn't look like Brett and Yount to me image
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Next up is a thicker stock insert card of Clemente. Curiously, it is not numbered. >>

Wishful thinking...that could be your error card which makes it valuable.
  • Options
    Another auto. Another guy I've never heard of. image

Bryan Price numbered to 249.

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    you have about the same luck with pullin autos as i do, i get guys i never heard of , and never will all the timeimage
  • Options
    A little better card, but still not what I'm looking for. Alan Trammell, double swatch #60/60

• Options
    very nice Alan Trammell card.
  • Options
    And last but not least....a Robin Yount Quad Jersey. Probably the card I like the best out of the lot. #8/9.

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Those prospectors will eat that Porcello up. It could be worse, I promise.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    I know. That's about the only way I'd get my money back out of this. Regardless, it was a fun way to spend my early afternoon. I'll forget my bad luck later with a few vodka and redbulls!

• Options
    Well you got a few guys you have heard of. That Yount card is very nice. Too bad it didn't have an auto.
  • Options
    That sounds good to me. I'd like to rip something today myself, but I'd rather just have a good mail day because I have some great cards in the wings.
  • Options

<< <i>Well you got a few guys you have heard of. That Yount card is very nice. Too bad it didn't have an auto. >>

A patch or two to break it up would have been nice, but it is a nice card. I'm happy with that one. Might be a nice one to get signed someday if the occassion arises.

• Options
    I guess something like this would be asking for too much?

• Options

<< <i>I guess something like this would be asking for too much?

image >>

Aw, you had to go and show me that now. Ouch...

• Options

<< <i>A patch or two to break it up would have been nice, but it is a nice card. I'm happy with that one. Might be a nice one to get signed someday if the occassion arises. >>

That's a great idea for down the road. Thanks very much for sharing this rip with us.

Brian
  • Options
    There was a box of Topps Sterling at the shop too, but after seeing the box Zep broke, I'm hesistant of that product.

• Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There was a box of Topps Sterling at the shop too, but after seeing the box Zep broke, I'm hesistant of that product. >>

Why? I got the worst box out of the way already image
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Not bad at all.

I suspect break-even or better on EBAY.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options

<< <i>Not bad at all.

I suspect break-even or better on EBAY. >>

I was thinking about that. I'd probably keep the Yount and list the rest. Then I could try again, LOL.

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    <Why? I got the worst box out of the way already>
  • Options
    Lmgdao, yea , that is if I didn't get a box randy , i f I got a box, i got the wort one out of the way , I hardly ever get anything , unless I buy like 15 boxes .

i forgot what i picked up the other day for the boy . . . but it had 3 autos and two memorabilia , I was very happy with it , let me go see what they were .. .

OK, they were the DonRuss threads , I pulled a really nice auto'd jersey letter card # to 270 , carlos guitierez < Don't know him > LOL

I also pulled a Nolan Ryan jersey card # to 250
    A Caleb Gindl Auto card # to 465
    a Bud Norris auto card # to 499
    and a Juan Siverio auto card 3 to 999

Not a bad box , forgot what I paid for the box though .
  • Options
    Rick Porcello's a stud and Bryan Price is a Red Sox prospect. Those were some solid pulls.
  • Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing. Was hoping you got a big one but hope you can sell and break even.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I guess something like this would be asking for too much?

image >>

Aw, you had to go and show me that now. Ouch... >>

I'd have a heart attack if i ever pulled something half as nice as that . .
  • Options

<< <i>Rick Porcello's a stud and Bryan Price is a Red Sox prospect. Those were some solid pulls. >>

That's good to hear. I just have no idea who is supposed to be any good when it comes to prospects anymore.

• Options
    The only reason I know anything about anyone outside of Braves prospects is because of that Freedom Card Board website. The majority of the people on that site annoy me, but they're kids so I cut them slack.

I say they are wasting their money...but they are dropping major bank on Porcello and Collier...and and some Lars Anderson guy. Jason Heyward is popular with those guys too, but I actually know who he is because I saw him play HS ball and he's a Braves prospect that plays for the farm team in my home town of Rome, GA.
  • Options
    The thing that scares me about prospects, is I have a box laying around here somewhere full of 50 count lots of cards like Kevin Maas, Mike Greenwell, Todd Van Poppel, etc.

• Options

<< <i>The only reason I know anything about anyone outside of Braves prospects is because of that Freedom Card Board website. The majority of the people on that site annoy me, but they're kids so I cut them slack.

I say they are wasting their money...but they are dropping major bank on Porcello and Collier...and and some Lars Anderson guy. Jason Heyward is popular with those guys too, but I actually know who he is because I saw him play HS ball and he's a Braves prospect that plays for the farm team in my home town of Rome, GA. >>

I look at the Freedom board from time to time (for my modern fix), but don't have an account. One of my favorites was when a poster claimed Albert Pujols is the "Greatest Hitter of All Time". He's pretty dang good but come on!
  • Options

<< <i>

I look at the Freedom board from time to time (for my modern fix), but don't have an account. One of my favorites was when a poster claimed Albert Pujols is the "Greatest Hitter of All Time". He's pretty dang good but come on! >>

LOL. I'm a Cardinals and Pujols fan as well, but I'd have to disagree with that statement...at least for now. He may not even be the best Cardinals hitter ever. I think many would rank Musial higher. As far as overall, I've always like Ted Williams myself.

• Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    Yeah Porcello is the Tigers top prospect. A high school draftee who is supposed to move rapidly through their system. They shoved him to High A as a 19 year old so he's ahead of the curve however, he went just 8-6 and a fairly poor 72 K/125IP rate so he could be a Mike Pelfrey type SP. He should be a solid pitcher but not an ace #1 SP.

As for Price, as a rule dump Rice pitchers rookies whenever you can early because that school has a history of overusing their SPs and blowing out their arms...see Wade Townsend, Jeff Niemann, Matt Anderson, Kenny Baugh (you'd think the Tigers would have learned their lesson on Rice pitchers), Aardsma and Humber etc. Plus since he's a BoSox prospect there is always an overpriced market for them. He was a 2008 supplemental (sandwich) draft pick so he's just now getting going...you'd have to hold onto that one for a couple years.
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah Porcello is the Tigers top prospect. A high school draftee who is supposed to move rapidly through their system. They shoved him to High A as a 19 year old so he's ahead of the curve however, he went just 8-6 and a fairly poor 72 K/125IP rate so he could be a Mike Pelfrey type SP. He should be a solid pitcher but not an ace #1 SP.

As for Price, as a rule dump Rice pitchers rookies whenever you can early because that school has a history of overusing their SPs and blowing out their arms...see Wade Townsend, Jeff Niemann, Matt Anderson, Kenny Baugh (you'd think the Tigers would have learned their lesson on Rice pitchers), Aardsma and Humber etc. Plus since he's a BoSox prospect there is always an overpriced market for them. He was a 2008 supplemental (sandwich) draft pick so he's just now getting going...you'd have to hold onto that one for a couple years. >>

If Porcello doesn't look like a #1, then long-term I'm not looking at a very good return. Looks like eBay might be a good place for him.

I'd agree that I'll have to sit on the Price. They are only going for $5 on eBay right now.

• Options

<< <i>

As for Price, as a rule dump Rice pitchers rookies whenever you can early because that school has a history of overusing their SPs and blowing out their arms...see Wade Townsend, Jeff Niemann, Matt Anderson, Kenny Baugh (you'd think the Tigers would have learned their lesson on Rice pitchers), Aardsma and Humber etc. . >>

Stupid Rays! Jeff Niemann still has a shot at the bigs and has had a few cups of coffee, but poor Wade has had surgery after surgery and will probably not have much of a career past AA unless he has a miraculous turnaround.

I saw Wade get ROCKED at Vero countless times. David Price had an amazing start, then Wade comes in and nearly blows it. That's gotta be hard to know that HE was once a "David Price type" prospect for the organization, but is now failing to close out games in High A ball.

edited to add: Wade won a WSOP event a while back and pocketed something like $80K in winnings. Maybe that can be his new career.
  • Options
    yeah you're probably better off holding onto Price for now. He didn't make the Red Sox's top 10 prospect list on Baseball America so his name hasn't made the rounds yet. He's only made 9 starts at low A Lowell so he's got a way to go but he K'd 43/40IP so that's always a good sign.
  • Options
    I don't mean to sway you on Porcello, it's just that when you look at highly collectible P's they tend to be strikeout type pitchers aside from Maddux of course. If you look at a similar comp say DBacks prospect Jarrod Parker, also a high school draftee who went straight to A ball he posted a 12-5 117Ks/117IP....and he really only has 2 pitches. W/L records never tell a whole lot, but the ability to miss bats is always a good sign of a pitcher's stuff.
  • Options
    I agree. It seems like the "power" pitchers are the ones that tend to have success at least in their younger years by blowing the ball past guys and generating K's.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    you would think for such an expensive premium product they wouldnt use sticker autos.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

<< <i>you would think for such an expensive premium product they wouldnt use sticker autos.
    John >>

I was disappointed with that as well. Unfortunately, that is almost becoming a standard these days. image

• Options
    thats a lot of scratch for Sticker autos. it is an unfortunate and seemingly irreversible trend.