Home Sports Talk
Options

MLB network to start on New Years Day

This should be heaven for all those that want baseball info 24/7. ESPN is not happy about this of course. image

The Mariners could be lurching toward a 101-loss season as they were late last summer and Harold Reynolds would still want his game highlights.

Seattle's former All-Star second baseman figures many fans are like him, loyal to their favorite team whether it's in first place or last, and hankering to see what happened each night as quickly as possible.

The MLB Network is set to launch Jan. 1, and it might seem that a 24-hour channel is aimed at fans who passionately follow the entire league. But as their numbers dwindle, they aren't the viewers president and CEO Tony Petitti is relying on to sustain the network.

The reality of TV sports today is that World Series ratings fluctuate greatly from year to year depending on who's playing. Still, many teams draw large audiences in their home markets. So while the MLB Network is national, Petitti likes to think of it as a conglomeration of regional interests.

"We want to complement the way fans watch their local team," Petitti said during a Dec. 17 tour of the network's studios.

For the first year at least, the network will be more focused on highlights and analysis than live games. It will air only 26 regular-season matchups, but will broadcast an eight-hour highlight show six nights a week. The lengthy time slot will require two shifts of commentators.

Matt Vasgersian and Victor Rojas will serve as hosts, with former players Reynolds, Al Leiter, Joe Magrane and Dan Plesac as analysts.

Petitti hopes that fans seeking an update on a particular game will learn to automatically flip to MLB Network, confident they will be quickly rewarded. The network will be able to do live look-ins and show highlights while the game is still going on.

"If we establish a pattern, we've done a good job," he said.

It's no secret the program's main competition will be ESPN, specifically its "Baseball Tonight" franchise. The new network's highlight show is even similarly named: "MLB Tonight."

Petitti diplomatically notes that because "MLB Tonight" lasts so much longer than "Baseball Tonight," a different structure is inevitable. But it's also clear the new network seeks to capitalize on the perception, fair or not, that ESPN spends most of its time focusing on a few teams.

So Petitti is promising an egalitarian approach. Pennant chases and major controversies will get plenty of coverage, of course, but fans of every team can expect regular and complete highlights no matter how small the club's market or poor its record.

Petitti, a former CBS Sports executive, compares the balancing act to airing the early rounds of the NCAA men's basketball tournament, something he was quite familiar with at his old job.

MLB Network will initially be available in about 50 million of the country's approximately 114.5 million homes with televisions, through deals with DirecTV and major cable companies. That's the most households in which a new cable channel has ever made its debut.

The network will launch at 6 p.m. EST on New Year's Day with an edition of "Hot Stove," its offseason studio show. The original broadcast of Don Larsen's perfect game from the 1956 World Series will follow.

MLB Network is spending more than $50 million to hire staff, build sets and renovate its facility. It's housed in the former MSNBC studios, a 140,000-square-foot building in a quiet office park a few miles west of Manhattan. The network scrapped plans to move its headquarters to a new office in Harlem.

One of the two main studios -- named No. 42 for Jackie Robinson -- is designed as a replica ballpark, with a half-scale infield and details down to a fake bullpen phone and "No Pepper" painted on the brick wall. The mound can be moved to regulation distance should analysts want to demonstrate techniques.

Petitti expects to eventually have about 250 employees. The number was nearly 165 in mid-December; it was 60 at the start of November and fewer than 10 at the end of July.

"It was like Jack Nicholson from 'The Shining,' basically," Petitti said of walking around the studios back then.

Baseball joins the NFL, NBA and NHL in launching its own channel. As the network looks to fill hour after hour, it enjoys the advantage of a sport in which teams play nearly every day, creating new highlights and developments to constantly air and discuss.

"If you look at sports and who should have a 24-7 network," Petitti said, "baseball is pretty much the obvious one that would work."

Comments

• Options
    I flip to the channel at least a few times a day. I just see the same MLB Network preview infomercial type thing, but I'm excited!

However, I sincerely hope that the programming is better once the season starts. The first show, Hot Stove Report, is on at 6 pm, and then after that they alternate the Hot Stove report and a replay of Don Larsen's perfect game up until the next day.........not exactly not stop action that you want to debut your station with.

edited to say: I didn't read the article, so didn't realize they addressed the programming thing....whooops.
  • Options
    They have acquired the rights to Ken Burn's PBS "Baseball" series so that should be pretty neat. That is more of a fill in thing until the
    baseball season starts.
  • Options
    ESPN is not the only one that is upset. Last I checked, Dish Network won't get it, so I'm out of luck.

I hate the exclusive arrangements.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options

<< <i>ESPN is not the only one that is upset. Last I checked, Dish Network won't get it, so I'm out of luck.

I hate the exclusive arrangements. >>

kinda like how my local BLAZER games are only on comcast....
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    i wonder if they will have a collectors show....

ooooooooooooooh i has an idea...
    my t-205's

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it will be channel 213 on DirecTV, already checked it out. Right between the NFL Network and the NHL Network. Awesome! I hope they get someone like Alex Flanagan too image
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    I am going to have to switch back to Direct TV thenimage
  • Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i wonder if they will have a collectors show....

ooooooooooooooh i has an idea... >>

That would be an excellent idea!
    Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to the start of the MLB Network too - at least to provide the average baseball fan with an alternative to ESPN and their obsessiveness with the Red Sox and Yankees.

Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads-up - I switched to DirecTV last summer to get the NFL package and I'm so glad I did. I'm already looking forward to getting their baseball package in the spring.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    I noticed this last nite on my cable provider. Should be interesting, I wonder what they will show until the season starts ? Anyone have a program guide ?

• Options

<< <i>I noticed this last nite on my cable provider. Should be interesting, I wonder what they will show until the season starts ? Anyone have a program guide ? >>

i bet it will be baseball.....ha ha
    my t-205's

• Options
    jimmygjimmyg Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Does anyone know if ATT's u-verse will carry this channel? Channel number?

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm looking forward to the start of the MLB Network too - at least to provide the average baseball fan with an alternative to ESPN and their obsessiveness with the Red Sox and Yankees. >>

interestingly, the first featured game (two or three hour show with clips and highlights of the game plus an interview with Yogi and Don Larsen) was Larsen's no-hitter. So maybe tomorrow the obsessiveness will stop image
  • Options
    ripkenintheminorsripkenintheminors Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully the roster of shows gets larger. Nothing but the same 2 shows over and over.

Do you wanna watch cheese or snow?