Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is something (numismatic) that has declined in price in the last few months?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
No bullion!

Do we have to wait for the FUN auctions to see what either sells below expectations or fails to meet reserves?
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should a collector should capitalize ?
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the question should be "What HASN'T declined in the past few months?" image

Most silver and gold - Morgans come immediately to mind..
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot quote a single example, but I do see coins sitting in dealer inventories that probably would have sold more quickly a year ago. I guess I am seeing a decline in interest, rather than a decline in prices.
  • Options
    please let me know when the capped bust series crashes
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I cannot quote a single example, but I do see coins sitting in dealer inventories that probably would have sold more quickly a year ago. I guess I am seeing a decline in interest, rather than a decline in prices. >>

This is exactly what I am seeing. No decline in prices quoted, but an increasingly stale inventory of numismatic coins.

I wonder if many brick and mortar dealers really care much about numismatic coins anymore? Most of their business these days is bullion or jewelry related.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    I can give you one example from the ultra low end, no one is buying album filler coins, like BU Presidential Dollars or State Quarters. These are now selling for face value at true auctions on ebay, so I have stopped selling anything with just a small mark up. I have also noticed buying 2008 coins for my albums, it seems most other sellers have found the same thing and you have to use buy-it now to pick them up instead of auctions if you really want them.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    rbfrbf Posts: 452 ✭✭
    Modern Mint/Proof Set prices have been plummeting lately. Seems whenever collectors need to raise cash, these are among the first items to get dumped.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Modern Mint/Proof Set prices have been plummeting lately. Seems whenever collectors need to raise cash, these are among the first items to get dumped. >>

You're correct of course but it's usually dealers dumping these to raise cash
    rather than collectors. There just aren't that many in collectors' hands any
    more to dramatically impact price in the short term.

Raw moderns have led the market down in all the recent crashes but it hasn't
    been collector selling in the past.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    I too have noticed prices not declining, but coins just sitting in inventory for a long time. On ebay, in 19th century PCGS MS coins, most are BINs that just sit there and keep a constant rotation from ending soon to relisted.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wisconsin Extra Leaf quarters
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file