Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

WTD: Allen Watson

Watson is the coach of the local high school baseball team here and I'm looking for some of his cards. Let me know if any of you have extras to send. I will return the favor with an autograph from him if he's willing to sign multiples (which I would assume he would).

Comments

• Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    I have just started to go through the million cards I have in storage since I closed my card shop down 6 years ago. I know I have a tons of his cards and will gather them up as I sort through all the boxes. I will let you know when I have a stack of them and forward them to you.
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I just wanted to say that must be cool having an ex-big leaguer as a coach for the team. When I was a kid playing little league, the Angels starting shortshop Jim Anderson went to a few of our practices and gave us pointers on fielding and hitting. He lived down the street from us and my brother played ball with his younger brother.

Brian
  • Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    I went to College with Allen Watson (NYIT) even though he was drafted as a pitcher (cards) he was a monster homerun hitter

Note:

On his '92 draft pick card he is wearing a NYIT shirt

{would not mind a signed card my self}

edited for notes
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Options
    Ironically, I knew Watson's high school coach, and even though Watson got drafted as a pitcher, he said Watson was the best HS hitter he had ever seen. Steve Karsay was also on the same HS team.
  • Options
    Im not trying to throw this thread off but i just had to tell mccardguy1 that i read
    a little of your online journal and just wanted to tell you good luck . You seem to be
    doing pretty well with the weight loss and just wanted to say.....keep up the good work
    A collector of all things Braves
    Always looking for Chipper Jones cards.
    Im a very focused collector of cards from 1909 - 2012...LOL
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Im not trying to throw this thread off but i just had to tell mccardguy1 that i read
    a little of your online journal and just wanted to tell you good luck . You seem to be
    doing pretty well with the weight loss and just wanted to say.....keep up the good work >>

Thanks bigwilli...Its comments like this that actually give me the motivation I need to keep going. Everyday is a struggle but after watching my wife overcome a most rare and deadly breast cancer, losing weight I put on is nothing really.

Thanks again for the great comments
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    I had the oppurtunity to hang out with Watson one evening. He hung out reguarly at a bar frequented by some of my coworkers. I went along one night and he was there. He joined us playing darts and told great baseball stories all night. He told some crazy Yankee stories, off the field stuff... partying with Jeter, Bernie and Knoublach. He said the best hitter he ever faced was Daryl Strawberry, said if it hadn't been for the drugs and injuries he would have been an alltime great.
  • Options
    PS- Sorry to get off the topic, I will check my boxes when I get home this weekend and see if I have any cards of his. It was funny he was such a regular guy, I never thought to ask him to sign something for me.
  • Options
    This wouldn't happen to have been O'Neills, would it?

<< <i>I had the oppurtunity to hang out with Watson one evening. He hung out reguarly at a bar frequented by some of my coworkers. I went along one night and he was there. He joined us playing darts and told great baseball stories all night. He told some crazy Yankee stories, off the field stuff... partying with Jeter, Bernie and Knoublach. He said the best hitter he ever faced was Daryl Strawberry, said if it hadn't been for the drugs and injuries he would have been an alltime great. >>

• Options
    It was at Yermans...the one in Middle Village, not the old one in kew Gardens.