Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are you tired of your coins coming back from the TPG's with Hairs' and Foreign stuff inside the slab

I am getting more and more slabs that are that have nics scratches and little fibers of hair or toast crust inside some slabs. Why do you think this happens when you pay your money and time for these guys to get it right?

I for one get excited to get my coin back, but I hate it when I see these things on the slab and inside the slab. How bout you? Is it just me a whiner or my domain?

Comments

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya mean Abe doesn't have a nose-hair problem???
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All rugs were removed from the grading room.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i've never had that happen, but it seems reasonable to assume that if there's foreign material INSIDE the capsule that PCGS et al should be expected to rectify the problem with no cost whatsoever to the submitter. i'm not generally a whiner about some of the customer service issues discussed here, but i'd call them on this one and press my case till i was satisfied.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most plastic by its nature is electrostatic and attracts dust, hairs, lint, etc. and other foreign objects which are similarly electostatically charged. Most of the contamination is probably on the slab pieces to start with so they either need to be blown clean with compressed gas or treated with an anti-static gun before sealing. Its surprising that such stuff doesn't get caught by the finalizer and/or other person who inspects them before shipment.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ya mean Abe doesn't have a nose-hair problem???
    image >>

Looks like PCGS was having a "bad hair day"...
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    'Looks like PCGS was having a "bad hair day"...'
    -ANACS-

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>'Looks like PCGS was having a "bad hair day"...'
    -ANACS- >>

Oh, yes indeed. (Haven't had my coffee yet...)
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    << Are you tired of your coins coming back from the TPG's with Hairs' and Foreign stuff inside the slabs? >>

Just hope it's not a pub.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Here is what I thought was a very nice Lincoln Cent in 66RD. Here is the TruView image to back up my thinking:

I replaced this coin in my set with a 65RB example so I sold the 66RD on the B/S/T. I got a PM that the coin was received, and there was a problem. The buyer sent me this image of the reverse:

It looks like some debris got on the coin and holdered between the TruView and Slabbing processes. image

I've worked very hard to build a solid rep as a seller on the B/S/T. I'm really pissed about this. I'm at fault also for not inspecting the coin upon it's return.

There is no way I should pay a dime to get this fixed by PCGS. I'm just wondering who to contact at PCGS to get this taken care of?
  • Options
    It looks like whatever that is has already affected the surface of the coin. PCGS should buy that one back from you.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    "Are you tired of your coins coming back from the TPG's with Hairs' and Foreign stuff inside the slabs?"

NO! NOT AT ALL!

I plan on collecting the material and then I will clone a master race of SUPER GRADERS!

Then PROFIT! $$$$$
  • Options
    At least you could clearly see the grade on your coins image

-Ben T. * Collector of Errors! * Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><< Are you tired of your coins coming back from the TPG's with Hairs' and Foreign stuff inside the slabs? >>

Just hope it's not a pub. >>

All that means is the grader really, really liked your coin. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i><< Are you tired of your coins coming back from the TPG's with Hairs' and Foreign stuff inside the slabs? >>

Just hope it's not a pub. >>

All that means is the grader really, really liked your coin. image >>

Milk Spots image
    -Ben T. * Collector of Errors! * Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Call customer service. But be sure you are in the right mood because a rant will bring up shields. PCGS will make things right.

Mistakes will happen, and what's important is not that they happened but how they are remedied.
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>Here is what I thought was a very nice Lincoln Cent in 66RD. Here is the TruView image to back up my thinking:

I replaced this coin in my set with a 65RB example so I sold the 66RD on the B/S/T. I got a PM that the coin was received, and there was a problem. The buyer sent me this image of the reverse:

It looks like some debris got on the coin and holdered between the TruView and Slabbing processes. image

I've worked very hard to build a solid rep as a seller on the B/S/T. I'm really pissed about this. I'm at fault also for not inspecting the coin upon it's return.

There is no way I should pay a dime to get this fixed by PCGS. I'm just wondering who to contact at PCGS to get this taken care of? >>

That is what I mean. I have some pubes in mine. Maybe I should call CSI and do a DNA on it and make the guilty person fix it.image

I just read another thread somewhere a member found a booger in his.image
  • Options

<< <i>Are you tired of your coins coming back from the TPG's with Hairs' and Foreign stuff inside the slabs? >>

Never had any foreign stuff come back I just submit U.S. coins.image

• Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is what I thought was a very nice Lincoln Cent in 66RD. Here is the TruView image to back up my thinking:

There is no way I should pay a dime to get this fixed by PCGS. I'm just wondering who to contact at PCGS to get this taken care of? >>

-----------------------------------------------

I am the one who bought this coin from Lee, and I want to say that
    I never blamed Lee for this, and there was no reason for him to
    inspect this coin after getting it back from grading. You just assume
    that the coin is in the same condition as when you sent it in.

I also want to say that Lee handled this like the class act he is,
    and that I highly recommend dealing with him!!

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>All rugs were removed from the grading room. >>

..................image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options

<< <i>Most plastic by its nature is electrostatic and attracts dust, hairs, lint, etc. and other foreign objects which are similarly electostatically charged. Most of the contamination is probably on the slab pieces to start with so they either need to be blown clean with compressed gas or treated with an anti-static gun before sealing. Its surprising that such stuff doesn't get caught by the finalizer and/or other person who inspects them before shipment. >>

.................i thought this only happens with products from the mint!image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options

<< <i>Call customer service. But be sure you are in the right mood because a rant will bring up shields. PCGS will make things right.

Mistakes will happen, and what's important is not that they happened but how they are remedied. >>

...............umm, i think how the mistakes happened are QUITE IMPORTANT!image
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That is what I mean. I have some pubes in mine. >>

image I guess someone REALLY liked your coin! imageimage
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

image I guess someone REALLY liked your coin! imageimage >>

Chris---Read my post on the first page of this thread. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    lee, i`m sure they will make it right if you contact them. we also know you would not burn somebody on the BST.

i have submitted hundreds of coins and never found anything strange in the slab. i`m sure its a minuscule amount in comparison to how many are slabbed.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, but I am tired of mine coming back in bodybags!!image

Steve
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image I guess someone REALLY liked your coin! imageimage >>

Chris---Read my post on the first page of this thread. image >>

Hah! I guess great minds think alike