Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Fairly new to collecting, could use some pointers and tips from you pro's.

I normally don't post, I just usually read and try to absorb as much info as I can but I figured it would be beneficial to hear some of your responses to my question.

Looking to start a PCGS wheat cent collection. Just going for the basic set. Any advice on where to buy, what to look for and how much to buy compared to the PCGS price guide? Most of the coins are realistically within my budget, only about 10 or so are not that are in MS, but thats ok. I'm sure I'm going to have fun putting it together for a while. Thanks to anyone who responds.

Comments

• Options
    Wheaties are a great set to start ! I have usually found that I can buy common dates at the next lowest PCGS price guide . For example, if I find a ms 64 cent, usually I can get it for whatever the ms 63 retail list price is. I don't collect anything higher than ms 64 or the very occaisional 65 in wheats due to the jump in dealer selling prices. I know some will jump on me for this but I still find great deals on PCGS coins on ebay. I have tried this sites' bst but have not had much luck yet.

Good hunting !!!
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should be a fun set to work on. Here are some quick thoughts...

There are several good dealers to choose from. I have had success with Andy Skrabalak at Angel Dee's Coins and David Lawrence Rare Coins.

If you are going to collect uncirculated coins, I would recommend focusing on red-brown or brown copper. Don't get caught up in the red copper craze. I would also recommend sticking to MS 63 or MS 64 coins if you can afford it. These seem to be the grades that get you the most for your money.

Buy the key dates as soon as possible. You've probably heard this advice before but it's worth following. Once you own the keys, everything else is easy.

Include the 1955 Doubled Die Obverse in your collection as a key date. Cool coin that is appreciated by collectors and non-collectors alike.

Don't worry about competing in the PCGS Registry...but do use the registry to keep you focused and provide a structure to your collection.

And of course, have fun!
  • Options
    JRH
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Welcome to the madness. image Some of my best coins have come from Forum Members. Quite a few of us sell back and forth as we upgrade or find nicer examples. Don't want to list dealers here for fear of leaving some good ones out. PM sent.
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Best advice I can tell you, and please don't let the worms on here tell ya no different. "BUY THE COIN NOT THE SLAB". Look in some good books on how to grade a coin by certain factors.

I have PCGS, NGC, ICG, ANACS and Chinco Blinko graded Lincolns/Wheaties and they are all very nice and special in my Dansco's and different slabs. Coins are like a fine cooked steak,beauty, colors/toning, What appeals to you is the Key my coin loving friend.

Welcome to the boards.

P.S. do me a huge favor never ask a guy named Yaha on here for any advice he's a southern bumpkin and his specialty is Pork Chops and Applesawse.image
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    Get a copy of Scott Travers "Coin Collector's Survival Manual" and read it at least twice in 2009. I think it is now in the 6th ed. I got it as a 4th ed.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options

<< <i>Just going for the basic set. >>

Find a grade that you can be comfortable with.Quality does have it's price most of the time but you may be satified with a find from a lower level at a bargain price...
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let your eye be the judge and logic, your discipline.

Joe the Amatuer
  • Options
    "let logic, your discipline"

Well said, emotional buying can result in disappointment and demoralization.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lots of people will tell you to "buy the book" first and read and spend time educating yourself.....certainly good advice. Go to shows and look at lots of coins, too.

But, GO AHEAD AND GET INTO THE GAME. You can only learn so much sitting on the sidelines. Don't be reckless and certainly start slowly, but go ahead and buy some or bid on some auctions. That's how you really start to learn. You'll make some mistakes.......everyone does.....that's part of the educational process. Good luck.

Also, don't just BUY.....every now and then try to SELL something......it's a real eye-opener and will give you a better feel for what you're doing (and have done to that point). >>

I have to agree with this advice of "every now and then try to SELL something".

Why?...because you'll find out exactly what percentage of 'book' value the coins are worth.

By this I mean, depending on the Series (be it Lincolns, bust halves or Ike dollars for example) AND depending on their specific grade range (Good, VF or MS65's) the price that they generally are worth will vary when compared to their 'book' value.

This is so important, because if you are paying 'book' value from some of these larger coin companies and then find out that what they are trading for (what a collector is willing to pay for them) is only 50%, then you are losing a lot of money.

I do not collect Lincolns so I do not know the 'percentages' they are worth, compared to their book values.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file