Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How's this for a circlation find?

I just pulled this out of the Register today where I work image
(if you're on CoinTalk you've probably already seen this)

Comments

• Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Something tells me that cent wasn't circulating for 121 years.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Pretty good I must say! image
  • Options

<< <i>Something tells me that cent wasn't circulating for 121 years. >>

lol, I'd say you're right.
    I'm pretty sure it'd be worn flat if it was.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty crazy for a circ find, I'd say. That's never happened to me. Closest I ever came was a slick, far-worse 1909 Lincoln... and that was found in the late 1970s.

Very cool.

And here I was, proud of the freakish find of a pretty orange-pink toned AU-UNC 1954 Jeffie from the till where I work (so far my only find besides some unbroken BU rolls of '99-P GA quarters, which the hotel might have kept because that's our home state).

I did manage to find a nice Indian last December, though... but in the ground, not in circulation.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not too bad image

My best so far was a 1907 IHC in AG-G in change at a fast food joint about 3 years ago.

My best searching cent rolls is a 1901 IHC in F-VF.
  • Options

<< <i>Not too bad image

My best so far was a 1907 IHC in AG-G in change at a fast food joint about 3 years ago.

My best searching cent rolls is a 1901 IHC in F-VF. >>

Well, dang, you've found multiple IHCs! lol

<< <i>Pretty crazy for a circ find, I'd say. That's never happened to me. Closest I ever came was a slick, far-worse 1909 Lincoln... and that was found in the late 1970s.

Very cool.

And here I was, proud of the freakish find of a pretty orange-pink toned AU-UNC 1954 Jeffie from the till where I work (so far my only find besides some unbroken BU rolls of '99-P GA quarters, which the hotel might have kept because that's our home state).

I did manage to find a nice Indian last December, though... but in the ground, not in circulation. >>

yeah, but the one you found in the ground is in amazing condition!!

Got a picture of that Jefferson? I too have found a near Unc 1954 Jefferson image - not from this job though.
    From this job - been working since the beginning of Summer until August, and then I just started back up again - I've found common wheaties, Jeffersons, 3 War nickels, 1 silver dime (1964), and my oldest has been (prior to this) a 1934 and 1935 Wheat Cent.

but I digress, this is probably the oldest thing in circulation I'll ever find. lol (too bad it's not 10 years older, eh?)
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't imaged that Jeff, no.

Geez- I wonder where I put it.

I suck at photographing toned coins anyway.

This isn't a monster toner, but it is pretty. It looks BU-ish but might be a slider. Can't for the life of me figure out how it got into the till at work.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    one wonders if you've found a members plant

bottomline though...what a sweet thing to smile over and congrats
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options

<< <i>one wonders if you've found a members plant

bottomline though...what a sweet thing to smile over and congrats >>

I actually thought that myself... but yeah, it was very cool
  • Options
    I got a 1887 IHC in change at Mcdonalds one time, it was a lot more worn that yours though.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    I had one crazy circ find. It was at an Acme market in Pennsylvania about 1970. Got an 1876 20 cent piece in change (AU58 to MS62). The cashier noticed it was different and looked closer. Then gave me another nickel to cover the shortfall. Thought it would be taken back like those undervale Canadian quarters. Some kid probably raided his old man's coin albums to buy rolling papers or something.

Also -- I really miss seeing the Buffalo nickels and occasional Indian Head cents in change. Rarely even see a wheatie anymore. The Buffalo nickels really intrigue me. They made so many of them, far more than the hobby can use. Did the gov't reclaim them as too worn or something? Where are all of them?
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a poor quality New England shilling copy once and it looked like it had actually been circulating for awhile...or at least a pocket piece.

Best find was years (decades) ago working on as a toll taker, a 1865 3 cent nickel.....probably handed over as a dime.

Decades (MANY) ago I found an 1894 IHC all battered bruised and run over laying in the alley behind the house. I still remember running over to our neighbor showing him the amazing treasure I had just discovered.....
  • Options

<< <i>I got a poor quality New England shilling copy once and it looked like it had actually been circulating for awhile...or at least a pocket piece.

Best find was years (decades) ago working on as a toll taker, a 1865 3 cent nickel.....probably handed over as a dime.

Decades (MANY) ago I found an 1894 IHC all battered bruised and run over laying in the alley behind the house. I still remember running over to our neighbor showing him the amazing treasure I had just discovered..... >>

a copy? lol, that's pretty funny. You should post a picture image

I've heard of the occasional three-cent piece being handed out as a dime... I can only hope my day comes!
  • Options
    Nice,,
    Collector Of Indian Cents!
    Fly-In Club
    My PCGS Registry Sets
  • Options
    DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 775 ✭✭✭✭
    My brother found an AU 1909 VDB Lincoln in change while in Newark New Jersey in March 1993. Yesterday was my birthday and he presented it to me last night at my party.
  • Options
    I love it!!

Proof that looking at your change can possibly produce a piece of history.

Thanks for sharing.

Happy New Year to all!1

Ships are safe in harbor but thats not what ships were built for.
  • Options
    Yea i'd throw that one in the ole jar !
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    I got a 1907 liberty nickel
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    <<<I had one crazy circ find. It was at an Acme market in Pennsylvania about 1970. Got an 1876 20 cent piece in change (AU58 to MS62). The cashier noticed it was different and looked closer. Then gave me another nickel to cover the shortfall. Thought it would be taken back like those undervale Canadian quarters. Some kid probably raided his old man's coin albums to buy rolling papers or something.>>>

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I worked at a small gas station in a small town back around 1983 and these old farmers guy's would come in and buy thier Lucky Strikes and Pall Malls with change. I got all kinds of neat stuff- the oldest was an 1899 V nickel- pretty much got all the coins from the early 20th century. We had the only soda machines outside where you could get a soda at night and I found at least one silver coin each night when I looked through them. image
  • Options

<< <i>I worked at a small gas station in a small town back around 1983 and these old farmers guy's would come in and buy thier Lucky Strikes and Pall Malls with change. I got all kinds of neat stuff- the oldest was an 1899 V nickel- pretty much got all the coins from the early 20th century. We had the only soda machines outside where you could get a soda at night and I found at least one silver coin each night when I looked through them. image >>

one silver a night is great!! .... No, more like amazing!

Anyhoo, I came back from work today - needless to say, today wasnt so prosperous, 1 1953(P) Nickel.

My expectations are very high now though, no more looking for the wheat head reverse, now I'm looking for a shield and a wreath. lol (but deep down I know it won't happen again).
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭

<< <i>one silver a night is great!! .... No, more like amazing! >>

Not really. I worked every other night and had $300 of change to look through every night and that was over 25 years ago. Lots of war nickels and silver dimes- I still have them all in a box. image
  • Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    My wife got a 1918-s cent about a week ago. The oldest circ find by me or my wife in a long, LONG time.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options

<< <i>My wife got a 1918-s cent about a week ago. The oldest circ find by me or my wife in a long, LONG time. >>

Yup, before yesterday It was about 2.5-3 years from my previous record find: a 1919 wheat cent (in worse condition, lol)

<< <i>
    Not really. I worked every other night and had $300 of change to look through every night and that was over 25 years ago. Lots of war nickels and silver dimes- I still have them all in a box. image >>

True, true.
    The silver I find the most, even now, are still War Nickels image
    Found 3 so far image
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    Back in High School (early 70's) , my best friend's mom used to work in a bank. One day, she brought us each some rolls of pennies to look thru. Imagine how pi**ed-off my friend was when one of my rolls coughed-up an 1876 IHC!! My best find ever in rolls.

Back in the 80's/90's as I worked retail management, I used to pull lots of 40% and 90% silver and silver certificates from rolls & the tills while cashing-out.

THOSE WERE THE DAYS!!

- - Dave
  • Options

<< <i>Back in High School (early 70's) , my best friend's mom used to work in a bank. One day, she brought us each some rolls of pennies to look thru. Imagine how pi**ed-off my friend was when one of my rolls coughed-up an 1876 IHC!! My best find ever in rolls.

Back in the 80's/90's as I worked retail management, I used to pull lots of 40% and 90% silver and silver certificates from rolls & the tills while cashing-out.

THOSE WERE THE DAYS!!

- - Dave >>

What condition was it in?

I'm still waiting to find a Silver Certificate. My Uncle, who deals with a lot of cash has actually found about 2 in the past year (both 1's). Surprisingly I haven't found any, and I've gone through probably thousands of dollars in ones (and fives and tens).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file