Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Do PCGS or NGC publish their world coin pops?

Just curious...

Comments

• Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>Just curious... >>

yes.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But not very complete. According to NGC census they haven't graded any Thai coins. Since I had some graded . . .

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Yes they do, I like the NGC method of searching the pops on world coins, but as mentioned they don't keep everything up to date. The PCGS system is just a mess, try to look up anything and you get a 1,000 line page with no apparant ryhme or reason. For example British Halfpennies may be listed in one of 2-3 different parts of the file, or not at all.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I have some Brits that are patterns and NOT on the NGC census & some with "P" also that have been out greater than two years...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

<< <i>Yes they do, I like the NGC method of searching the pops on world coins, but as mentioned they don't keep everything up to date. The PCGS system is just a mess, try to look up anything and you get a 1,000 line page with no apparant ryhme or reason. For example British Halfpennies may be listed in one of 2-3 different parts of the file, or not at all. >>

I agree that this is a problem with some of the countries where we've graded lots of coins (Great Britain is a good example). We're working on splitting them up into manageable sections that will be more user-friendly.
    Ron Guth
    President
    PCGS CoinFacts - the Internet Encyclopedia of U.S. Coins
    www.CoinFacts.com
  • Options
    A very big problem for the NGC population listing is that it does not accurately exclude the coins that have crossed to PCGS. Very few collectors bother to return the NGC ID inserts to NGC. I think this is especially true for world coins of recently popular countries.

I think it would be great if PCGS and NGC could somehow cooperate to remedy this situation.
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>A very big problem for the NGC population listing is that it does not accurately exclude the coins that have crossed to PCGS. Very few collectors bother to return the NGC ID inserts to NGC. I think this is especially true for world coins of recently popular countries.

I think it would be great if PCGS and NGC could somehow cooperate to remedy this situation. >>

the same thing is true for PCGS. If someone doesn't return inserts to the services, they can't remove the coins. Several of the 'top pop' NGC Millennia Collection coins, were former PCGS 'top pops'. Those coins still show up in PCGS pop reports. these things happen.