Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Submitting a Mint packaged Ike

I have a toning brown box Ike (76-S) I am sending in as my quarterly (at the buzzer). Should I crack him out of the mint packaging or send him in his original container. Please & Thanks!

Happy New Year! image

Comments

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There aren't any 1976-S "Brown Box" IKE's image

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    So it's a rarity! I meant 74-S. The question stands. Thx!
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if PCGS will accept an IKE in the OGP.
    sorta like sending in a Proof set in the case.
    Crack it out.

JMO
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Probably easier to just crack it out yourself. They brown packs are not hard to get open at all, so you should be okay. Good luck on the grade. I sent in a Washington quarter. I should have sent in one of my 1971S Peg Leg DDOs instead...
  • Options
    I just sent one to PCGS last week, for the Quarterly Special too. It's shows as accepted when I check it's status. I haven't heard anything out of anyone at PCGS saying it wasn't OK.
    My humble '63 mint registry set, not much, but it's mine!
  • Options
    Just like you said - wayyyy easy. I wasn't expecting that. I should keep a lint-free drop pillow closer by. No harm done though. LOve to hear how you guys did once your specials start posting!
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    PCGS will remove coins from OGP.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not sure if PCGS will accept an IKE in the OGP.
    sorta like sending in a Proof set in the case.
    Crack it out.

JMO >>

And, PCGS WILL accept coins in a proof set that they crack open for you. Likely would this as well.
    All in all, he popped it out so nothing mroe needed.

They did charge $1, I think, for coins submitted in OGP but not sure if they still do. With proof sets, if they did it, the condition was that all coins had to be graded.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    Could the quarterly special be use on an error coin?
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Is it toned or just has that milky look of a brown box Ike? I got a set of them and was never sure if they just didn't turn and get ruined in that packaging.

I sent a 1946-S FS-501 quarter for my quarterly special. I expect about MS64.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file