Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Guess the grade - ICCS grading company

Your only hints: The picture and the fact that the numeric grade was assigned by ICCS.

(If someone guesses correctly, i'll say so. ICCS is known to be a little different than your typical TPG)

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    F-12

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    EF-40
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    I ain't got no clue on grading those things! But if it were in my sphere of collecting like German stuff I might be able to give you a better idea. Not knowing what a true UNC looks like I would think at least an XF45 based on the marks I see but I also see no problem in giving an AU55-58 grade either. I do not know the coins at all! Depending on the strike of a coin more familiar to me I might even think it a low end MS example... So now I stand here ready to be ridiculed when I find what the coin really graded at!
    Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it and they probably graded it either 40 or 45... I am not sure I agree with it though

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

Hello

I'm new to this forum, but been lurking for a couple of weeks

I wouldn't grade this one higher than VF, though my interest is in French bronze

good site for comparing with the best known examples is at http://www.collection-ideale-cgb.net/numerofranc.php?numero=519

:-)

David

• Options
    I vaguely recall that ICCS has been the subject of some derision in the forum for being overly optimistic in their grading.
    My grade on this piece would be VF-40, give or take, but I bet ICCS punted it into the XF range, right?
    Happy New Year to all!
    Have an extra fine '09!
    Tom
    I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy them too soon.

Proud (but humbled) "You Suck" Designee, February 2010.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ICCS is usually very conservative in their grading. At least they were until about a year ago.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I agree with fc and Hussulo - VF 35
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>ICCS is usually very conservative in their grading. At least they were until about a year ago. >>

Indeed. the ICCS coins i've owned were graded more conservative than either of our top two US TPGs, in some cases, much more so.

• Options

here is a great example of just how conservative ICCS is in their grading..........

click here for an earlier thread
  • Options
    35/40
  • Options

I forgot to guess. Based on some earlier gold that i'm seen them grade of this type, I'd say it's a 20; 25 max.

• Options
    My guess is that the coin itself is a 45, maybe 50...no clue as to what it was assigned.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Doogy sort of got it. It's a VF-20, as graded by ICCS.

Plenty of luster left for a "20".

In my opinion, a "20" grade coin is missing some of the more fragile device details. But this one seems to be pretty much intact.

• Options
    20 does not pass the straight face test. That grade clearly demonstrates an inability to understand the striking characteristics of the Louis XV coinage and especially the 20F series. Plus this coin features nice original surfaces and did not get a bump for that... quite pathetic

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>20 does not pass the straight face test. That grade clearly demonstrates an inability to understand the striking characteristics of the Louis XV coinage and especially the 20F series. Plus this coin features nice original surfaces and did not get a bump for that... quite pathetic >>

Which is why this French coin shouldn't have been submitted to ICCS to begin with. Their expertise seems limited to Canadians and eventually some additional British and Commonwealth coins with similar portraits, the latter submitted by Canadian collectors I guess. I've once seen a Greek ICCS graded coin, which was collectable as a curiosity alone, for being in that flip.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Which is why this French coin shouldn't have been submitted to ICCS to begin with. Their expertise seems limited to Canadians and eventually some additional British and Commonwealth coins with similar portraits, the latter submitted by Canadian collectors I guess. I've once seen a Greek ICCS graded coin, which was collectable as a curiosity alone, for being in that flip.

Agreed

• Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    i've seen ICCS dabble with British, French, and Spanish coins from the colonial period, but Im not sure of their standards