Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY NGC SLABS THAT THE BACK OF THEM HAVE THE LOGO TAKEN OFF? ARE THEY FAKE?

joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
I see alot of times that ngc slabs in particular (as Ive never seen them on pcgs ones)- some have the back logo on the slab partually or totally scraped off... it seems kinda fishy to me that its only on ngc slabs.. any body have any ideas? could these be fake slabs and the person just couldnt get the logo 100% perfect so they ruin them? as example-
I would really appreciate some insite link
may the fonz be with you...always...

Comments

• Options
    phehpheh Posts: 1,588
    Because they are prone to peeling. Dealers put their own stickers on them (that one looks like it was possibly an APMEX) and when the owners peel them off... *zip* off comes the paint.

Edit: apparently I could spell "peel" but not "pealing"
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    Only with the older fatty slabs, with the hologram label on the outside of the slab. They tend to get worn off over time, since they were on the outside of the plastic. This is the only NGC style slab that I have seen with missing or mutilated holograms.
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    The stickers peel off very easily -

an inferior product
  • Options

<< <i>Because they are prone to peeling. Dealers put their own stickers on them and when the owners peel them off... *zip* off comes the paint. >>

Exactly.
    aka Dan
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soak the label in Googone and the sticker will come off without taking the hologram with it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The stickers peel off very easily -

an inferior product >>

Yes, that hologram is sticker is OH so important right?
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    i never understood why dealers put stickers on slabs,the slab will tell you what you want to know. if you want to price it put if on the front lower right.

i like the ones that say very rare or key date, hey little buddy i already know that !!!!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i never understood why dealers put stickers on slabs,the slab will tell you what you want to know. if you want to price it put if on the front lower right.

i like the ones that say very rare or key date, hey little buddy i already know that !!!! >>

The sticker usually has a code for the dealer's purchase price, where he bought it, when he bought it, etc. Space on the front of the slab should be reserved for the CAC sticker. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    In this case, it looks like there was a permenant sticker on there for a long time, and when the sticker was removed, it took part of the hologram with it...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>i never understood why dealers put stickers on slabs,the slab will tell you what you want to know. if you want to price it put if on the front lower right.

i like the ones that say very rare or key date, hey little buddy i already know that !!!! >>

The sticker usually has a code for the dealer's purchase price, where he bought it, when he bought it, etc. Space on the front of the slab should be reserved for the CAC sticker. image >>

Exactly!!
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file