Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How do these guys get such strong bids?

I've been watching various big sellers and these guys get crazy strong bids...they're not the only ones. Isn't that an R1 coin, a run of the mill VF? $182? I'm trying to figure out their trick, but it's evading me. Years ago, I would buy something from a big seller like this and lose 50% on it later.

Comments

• Options
    If you consistently have a large amount of material for sale, you build up a substantial number of people who'll follow your listings, hence more bids.
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Yup....sure is a high price for what obviously would be a body bag (or genuiine now) @ PCGS. cleaned...cleaned...cleaned.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im with you on this one. Ive also trying the bay and almost whatever I put up I have to worry about even getting what I PAID for it (sometimes 10% behind bid!. That half in particular looks likes its a high vf and hes almost getting au money! what I figured is that this seller in particular has auctions ending 2 or 3 times a week EVERY WEEK. in that, when he first started off he probably didnt have so much publicity and his coins (chances are he started small) had minimum bids. Over time some people started getting some nicer stuff from him at some great prices and they added him as they're favorite seller. (As Ive added him a long time ago I know) that an email is sent out once or twice a week and his name keeps getting out there. When one has a pleasant transaction with a seller youd be more inclined to return. All these people have probably been buying with him for a long time and as more time passes more buyers find him. Im sure thats how he does it. Ill admit though... he seems to make a good living from some of the things ive seen get sold by him!
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    So if you sell in a high enough volume, eventually you'll make money no matter what?
  • Options
    phehpheh Posts: 1,588

<< <i>So if you sell in a high enough volume, eventually you'll make money no matter what? >>

If you can stay alive long enough... yes. Some are better at it than others.
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

personally, i have yet to see a PQ coin from this seller in a top-tiered slab. I think they must buy overgraded crap at small wholesale bids, and then fill their ebay store full of them for suckers.

• Options
    no guarantees- but Ive also enjoyed watching this seller for years...right now this auction is at $42 for JUNK!!!! hes been doing it for years and even has another ebay user name. I feel bad for whoever bids on these coins...I unfortunatly got suckered in when I first started in coins... this seller

and check out another one of hisother auction
  • Options

<< <i>personally, i have yet to see a PQ coin from this seller in a top-tiered slab. I think they must buy overgraded crap at small wholesale bids, and then fill their ebay store full of them for suckers. >>

Cause what I'm seeing in the original post is a $60 coin ? I mean jeez, I can even see hairlines on it
  • Options

<< <i>no guarantees- but Ive also enjoyed watching this seller for years...right now this auction is at $42 for JUNK!!!! hes been doing it for years and even has another ebay user name. I feel bad for whoever bids on these coins...I unfortunatly got suckered in when I first started in coins... this seller

and check out another one of hisother auction >>

This one is pretty funny.

or how about some dirt?
  • Options
    and this seller I believe has been around for ages as well (I recognize his auctions)(and I also bought this garbage once...)
    I remember about 5 years ago I bought a lot which clamed "trends $100,000!!!" well I ended up wining it for something like $200. I got some "INB CERTIFIED" garbage "certified" pr70 dcam. I looked some up on pcgs.com and found some of them were listed at $50,000!!!! I was the most excited person in the world until I took them to a local dealer to "cash in" and my heart sunk when he looked at them and told me I was had... linky

well... you have to start somewhere I guess...
  • Options
    QUICK- CHECK OUT THE DIRT ONE!!! SOME COULD BE WORTH $THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file