Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need help for somthing I sold on EBAY

I need adise on what to do:

I sold a coin to someone on Ebay who says that the contents of the package didn't arrive in the box i sent, they also accused me of not packaging the coin well which I did, I used a USPS Priority box which as you know needs dynamite to open! I also had free shipping but clearly and boldly marked the listing with insurance, if desired, was extra which they didn't request..I will call the Post Office and I will do everything i can to help with this but what is my responsibilty here? I don't sell much on Ebay so this is a first for me.. Thanks..
Chuck,

Ever Onward

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On eBay and with PayPal, insurance is the responsibility of the seller. You owe him a refund.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Always require insurance. Its now your word against his & you will probably be frustrated trying to get
    any help from ebay.

Best of Luck.
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The seller is responsible for delivery. Insurance is for your protection. Pay up.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Delivery is your responsibility. If not insured, regardless of your wording in the auction, you are out of luck.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My shipping prices include insurance. It is my responsibility to deliver the item period!

Refund him
  • Options
    You're getting the correct advice. Insurance is for the sellers protection only. I'm currently in an identical situation, except that I was the buyer
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Insurance, or delivery conformation should be included... Especially on items valued over $50 bucks.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,915 ✭✭✭✭
    What they said.....sorry
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the above - good luck!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have never yet experienced this, but in time I am sure I will run into a crooked buyer. Can you get your money out of ypur paypal account or have they froze it already? I have always wondered what happens if you do buy insurance and the buyer says nothing was in the package. How do you prove to the post office you mailed what you say you mailed? Good luck, and please out the buyer.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I hope you are not out much money.
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    Would the USPS pay the claim if it was insured? Their investigation will show that the item had been delivered.

Does Paypal's improve seller's protection covers this?
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Would the USPS pay the claim if it was insured? Their investigation will show that the item had been delivered.

Does Paypal's improve seller's protection covers this? >>

This just happened to me. Insurance doesn't do anyone any good when the buyer states the box was empty. People here that say insurance is the responsibility of the seller are just stupid and obvoiusly don't know how the process works. Insurance is for LOSS or DAMAGE while in the CUSTODY of the post office. When the package is delivered/signed for, the post office is off the hook for anything.

I recently had an eBay buyer, rick38liner, out of MA do that to me in mid October. I sent him a gold and silver coin that I know was in the box. I shipped USPS Priority Mail, fully insured with signature confirmation and tripple taped each edge. He filed a PayPal dispute and got his money back and got to keep my coins.

Good luck. File a police report if you can, it took me about two months before my police dept let me file a report because I couldn't prove the theft happened in my county or in the county where it was shipped to.
  • Options
    I forgot to mention, the Post office wouldn't allow me to file an insurance claim because the package was delivered.
  • Options
    Paypal is a waste of time. I emailed and/or called them about 25 times in the course of two months while the case was being reveiwed. I provided statements from the Post Master saying that he returned an empty box to me that he said contained something. They wouldn't allow it or call the post master because the letter I had her sign was not on USPS Letterhead.

PayPal is a complete and total crap hole. Even if you win your claim, it is only a "best effort" for them to ever get your money back. It isn't like you win, you get your money back.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Not that this is the issue but I don't trust the stickum on the priority boxes. I always put a little packing tape over the box flap but I as a seller would not give the buyer a choice of paying insurance for this very reason.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    Alway's ship with insurance & signature conformation. ALWAY'S...... Did I say ALWAY'S image
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    For a Claim Because Some or All of the Contents are Missing:

You must present the container and packaging to the Postal Service when filing the claim. Failure to do so results in the denial of the claim.

• Options

<< <i>Alway's ship with insurance & signature conformation. ALWAY'S...... Did I say ALWAY'S image >>

So how does that help anyone that has a buyer that says you shipped them fishtank rocks? Insurance will not cover it and signature confirmation (once signed) only voids your insurance.
  • Options

<< <i>Paypal is a waste of time. I emailed and/or called them about 25 times in the course of two months while the case was being reveiwed. I provided statements from the Post Master saying that he returned an empty box to me that he said contained something. They wouldn't allow it or call the post master because the letter I had her sign was not on USPS Letterhead.

PayPal is a complete and total crap hole. Even if you win your claim, it is only a "best effort" for them to ever get your money back. It isn't like you win, you get your money back. >>

Why didn't you refuse the package that was returned to you, then he could claim that it was returned to you.
    San Diego, CA

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Would the USPS pay the claim if it was insured? Their investigation will show that the item had been delivered.

This just happened to me. Insurance doesn't do anyone any good when the buyer states the box was empty. People here that say insurance is the responsibility of the seller are just stupid and obvoiusly don't know how the process works. Insurance is for LOSS or DAMAGE while in the CUSTODY of the post office. When the package is delivered/signed for, the post office is off the hook for anything.

I recently had an eBay buyer, rick38liner, out of MA do that to me in mid October. I sent him a gold and silver coin that I know was in the box. I shipped USPS Priority Mail, fully insured with signature confirmation and tripple taped each edge. He filed a PayPal dispute and got his money back and got to keep my coins.

Good luck. File a police report if you can, it took me about two months before my police dept let me file a report because I couldn't prove the theft happened in my county or in the county where it was shipped to. >>

Ugghh, this sort of story irks me. Every time I put a coin on eBay I wonder if this will happen to me.
    So, basically, even if I, as a seller, insure every package and add delivery confirmation, some a**hole
    can claim the box was empty and I'm screwed. How do we stop this fraud?
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    This is not necessarily the case either. I had a buyer claim that an item was not in the package. I filed the claim and the post office denied it becuase they did not verifiy the package. to resolve it: I was told to have the buyer take the package to the post office for verification of empty contents and any sign of tampering. he did and the clerk thier signed off on the verification and my claim was paid. It did take a little while about 4 wks.
  • Options
    Someone should start a content verification service.image
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    CoinyCoiny Posts: 711 ✭✭
    I sell a lot on EB and what I do is send all coins under $500, first class with a delivery confirmation (about $1.65).
    That way if someone claims that they did not get the coin, you can pull up USPS tracker to show date and location coin where coin was delivered.
    Over $500, I add in insurance.

Hope this helps!
    Coiny
  • Options
    Yep, seriously. I did literally everything I could to stop it but PayPal did not care one bit. I have never worked with a company that really didn't care at all the outcome of their "claims". I am more pissed at PayPal the way they handled my claim than the jerk that stole my coin. And believe me, I am SUPER pissed at that SOB.
  • Options

<< <i>This is not necessarily the case either. I had a buyer claim that an item was not in the package. I filed the claim and the post office denied it becuase they did not verifiy the package. to resolve it: I was told to have the buyer take the package to the post office for verification of empty contents and any sign of tampering. he did and the clerk thier signed off on the verification and my claim was paid. It did take a little while about 4 wks. >>

What if the buyer refuse to do that, no one can make him do it.
    San Diego, CA

• Options

Sorry to hear that, can you post a link to the auction?
  • Options

<< <i>Someone should start a content verification service.image >>

The post office is reluctant to verify contents, even if you are getting insurance. It's the crooks against you. And now that PayPal is becoming required, the crooks are going to have a field day.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This is not necessarily the case either. I had a buyer claim that an item was not in the package. I filed the claim and the post office denied it becuase they did not verifiy the package. to resolve it: I was told to have the buyer take the package to the post office for verification of empty contents and any sign of tampering. he did and the clerk thier signed off on the verification and my claim was paid. It did take a little while about 4 wks. >>

What if the buyer refuse to do that, no one can make him do it. >>

Then they cant get their money back is how it should work.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Good luck. File a police report if you can, it took me about two months before my police dept let me file a report because I couldn't prove the theft happened in my county or in the county where it was shipped to. >>

Ugghh, this sort of story irks me. Every time I put a coin on eBay I wonder if this will happen to me.
    So, basically, even if I, as a seller, insure every package and add delivery confirmation, some a**hole
    can claim the box was empty and I'm screwed. How do we stop this fraud? >>

I was fearing/wondering the same thing-
    Looking to buy Morgans in ACG, INS, IGA, Old PCI photo, and Hannes Tulving holders.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

As one of the "stupid" people on the boards I will remember your wonderful communication skills, jessewvu. By the way, if you read the OP closely, it was stated that the buyer claimed the box was not packaged well, which is consistent with damage or loss while in the custody of the PO.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

I'll follow up again because I'm so pissed off now (again).

I had the SOB buyer send me back the box because I wanted to see for myself it the box was opened. He shipped it back and I opened it in front of the Postmaster and the Postal Inspector at my PO. They verified the weight was like 6.8oz and contained nothing but bubble wrap and an empty box of Westward Journey nickels I sold him in addition to the two coins. The postal inspector kept the box as it was required for the claim that I forced them to initiate because I am not going to lose my $800 that easy and if it comes down to it, I'll sue that SOB out of principle, I know I will probably never see the $$ again.

Funny thing is that I stated that the jerk sent me back and EMPTY box and according to one PayPal rep, that's why they sided in his favor. He said he shipped the box back to me but he didn't return what he said he did receive... Long story short, based on that piece of information, my police dept was able to start a case against him for lying about the contents of the package he shipped via USPS mail. I am still waiting on the outcome of the report so I can reopen the paypal claim and take legal actions against him. I am going to be giving the Post Master General in DC a call so they can take a look at this guy too.
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Alway's ship with insurance & signature conformation. ALWAY'S...... Did I say ALWAY'S image >>

So how does that help anyone that has a buyer that says you shipped them fishtank rocks? Insurance will not cover it and signature confirmation (once signed) only voids your insurance. >>

I misunderstood the question. Are coins acceptable to ship from the USPS ? I remember a thread about this image
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    While a credit card company can do a chargeback if the buyer claims non delivery, they cannot alter the terms of your contract, so if you say "insurance optional" you CAN sue to get your money back, and you will win, but it's a case of being right but at more cost from attorney fees and court costs than you can usually recover. If the item is under $250, and shows delivered, you can win a Paypal dispute, but be prepared to take negative feedback.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    DeloreanDelorean Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice..I did have delivery conformation on the package though..I'll contact the Post office tomorrow and get the ball rolling. I did ask my buyer to send pics of the empty container..

This really sucksimage
    Chuck,

Ever Onward
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for all the advice..I did have delivery conformation on the package though..I'll contact the Post office tomorrow and get the ball rolling. I did ask my buyer to send pics of the empty container..

This really sucksimage >>

Huh? The post office is not responsible for lost,damaged or missing items that are not insured.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone..

Chuck,

Ever Onward
  • Options
    Are you aware that when you mail, the actual weight is printed on the reciept, I wonder if you could use this to prove that a coin was in the package when it was mailed, but not when it was delivered by a reduction in weight of the package once recieved, especially in evidence of tampering. It would be tougher on very small pieces of gold and such, but larger items would be considerably different as the USPS weighs to 100th of an oz.
  • Options
    extra which they didn't request..

Insurance is so YOU GET PAID, not the buyer.
  • Options
    Not that it helps much now:

"Registered Mail is the most secure service that the USPS offers. It incorporates a system of receipts to monitor the movement of the mail from the point of acceptance to delivery. Registered Mail provides the sender with a mailing receipt and, upon request, electronic verification that an article was delivered or that a delivery attempt was made. Customers can retrieve the delivery status in three ways: (1) over the Internet at www.usps.com by entering the article number shown on the mailing receipt; (2) by telephone at 1-800-222-1811; or (3) by bulk electronic file transfer for mailers who provide an electronic manifest to the USPS. USPS maintains a record of delivery (which includes the recipient's signature) for a specified period of time. Customers may obtain a delivery record by purchasing return receipt service. See 6.0 for details. "

This does NOT mean that the person on the other end MUST be the addressee. What you are buying is the MOST secure protection WITHIN the US Postal System. However, even though a signature is required at the destination, anybody at the address can sign, a receptionist at a busy company, a neighbor or even someone hanging around on the front porch.

ONLY Restricted Delivery guarantees as Proof in a Claim that the guy who was suppose to have signed for the package, did so.

Then there is the cost issue.

Same Coin sent First Class @ 8 ounces costs $2.00 more. For equal protection the Buyer signed for the package BOTH options require restricted Delivery.

Mailing to Zone 8 for example:

First-Class Mail® Package $2.36
    Insurance (Insured for $1,000.00) 11.25
    Delivery Confirmation® 0.75
    restricted Delivery 4.30
    Total $18.66

OR

First-Class Mail® Package $2.36
    Registered Mail (Insured for $1,000.00) 13.30
    Delivery Confirmation® 0.75
    restricted Delivery 4.30
    Total $20.71

• Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    rick38liner - Blocked
  • Options

<< <i>extra which they didn't request..

Insurance is so YOU GET PAID, not the buyer. >>

That's all fine and good, registered mail included, but insurance is only for lost or damaged items. Once the item is delivered, you totally screwed if the buyer lies and says the box was empty. How does the post office know you put anything in the box? They don't play that game.

i'm done here. I think the OP knows what his options are...
  • Options
    CHUCK: Who is the ebay culprit?
  • Options

<< <i>While a credit card company can do a chargeback if the buyer claims non delivery, they cannot alter the terms of your contract, so if you say "insurance optional" you CAN sue to get your money back, and you will win, but it's a case of being right but at more cost from attorney fees and court costs than you can usually recover. If the item is under $250, and shows delivered, you can win a Paypal dispute, but be prepared to take negative feedback. >>

I respectfully disagree. A contract which shifts responsibility from one party to another in an unlawful manner is also illegal. You can't just say "insurance optional" and expect to have no responsibilities.

I believe that the responsibility occurs with agents, and who hires the agent of transition. By this, I mean that if the seller specifies the method of delivery, then he is responsible for making sure that the item is delivered to the buyer. As mentioned in a previous thread, let me present two examples.

1. Buyer buys item from seller. Seller's terms states that he will ship USPS. The seller as a result hires the USPS as his agent, and thus is responsible for whatever the USPS does.
    2. Buyer buys item from seller. Buyer selects delivery option (either common carrier, pickup, or through a friend). Once the seller delivers the item to the buyer, it should relieve the seller of delivery responsiblity to the buyer. The buyer is therefore responsible that his agent deliver the item to him.

• Options
    Younique..I don't want to run anyone down by saying the person involved, I like to believe in the good of people and I'll take what they say as truth. Reading what everyone says it's my own stupid fault for not putting insurance on it and I guess I'm out $195.00.

Expensive lesson to learn but I do know this, I'll never sell another thing on Ebay.

Thank you again everyone, I can always come here for advice.
    Chuck,

Ever Onward
  • Options
    Chuck:

If this is the first time you were burned by an ebay buyer, I can understand. And yes, agreed that
    insurance would protect you & not the buyer, wherein you could easily refund his/her money &
    recover that amount from the PO.

However, if you change your mind & ever sell on the bay again, you may wish to block the following:

123gevork, afiber, capjpicard, coinbooks4u, e8ay_1, getmustlx, goldmineri, nightwill321, pjones442, rick38liner, roofer2003

As evidenced, you're not the only casualty where that's concerned. Good Luck !

Any additions to the list ?

• Options

The one instance where I had a package and contents damaged during shipping, i mailed all the necessary supplies to file an insurance claim to the buyer. He filed the claim, and he received the money.
  • Options

<< <i>

That's all fine and good, registered mail included, but insurance is only for lost or damaged items. Once the item is delivered, you totally screwed if the buyer lies and says the box was empty. How does the post office know you put anything in the box? They don't play that game.

i'm done here. I think the OP knows what his options are... >>

If you buy insurance and the package get damaged (product could fall out) or the item in the package is damaged during delivery, or the pacakge is completely lost, the post office would pay up. If the undamaged package is delivered, but the crooked buyer states nothing is in the package, how would you ever get the PO to pay? When it comes down to your word vs. the buyer, who will paypal honor? At least before ebay required paypal, you could require a check or money order, cash your check or money order and have the money in hand. Now you are at the mercy of paypal and their service was poor before they started layoffs.
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    I have had a few transactions that you guys are stating.

#1 I don't trust any of you or my family when it comes to MONEY.

I know a few nice post masters and clerks at my Post Office and some people that try to make a few extra dollars off of inflated shipping fees for a ebay sale is totally cheap.

Let me help some of you and make it clear it seems there are a few misconseptions here about "INSURANCE" while sending a package.

Please make sure you tape the hell out of your bubble wrapped package or box. I charge $4.95 for shipping priority and I tape the seal of the bubble mailer, or the boxes, the Rims, corners and tape the persons address label and my return label, double, triple tape on the whole thing. The box is sealed to float in the ocean. I do offer insurance on items $50 or less at optional. I state clearly. 'I THE SELLER WILL NOT AND CANNOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR LOST OR DAMAGED ITEMS IN NO WAY OF NO KIND ONCE THE POSTAL TAKES IT AND IF YOU SIGN FOR A DAMAGED PACKAGE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK, PLEASE DON'T IF YOU SEE SOMETHING DOESN'T LOOK RIGHT TO THE BOX OR PACKAGE"

I usally state the that the buyer must be the person to sign for his item if Insurance is paid. Anything over $100 I state and buyer must pay $1.40 per every $100. Sorry man but you anit getting a $1,000.00 coin/package for $4.95 hauss.

If you insure anything over $100 say a item is $83.33 insure it for $100 and make sure they use the black insurance label, Grab a handful while in line or ask the clerk to give you some. It seems a lot of sellers use the ebay's/paypal USPS printing labels, I say bullshirt to that man. I don't see what's behind that label, the price of postage or insurance and sorry I am old schooled when it comes to money and people.

ALso I have my clerks verify twice in front of me the weight of the package because basically the weight is a very important thing and the amount of insurance because If you do have a claim my proof from my clerks at the post office putting their intials on my receipt verifing that Yes George had this sent this way, pay this way and his items weighed this much when they took it and finally it was sealed tightly and neatly when it left our post office.

I have every lost insured item refunded. I paid the buyer their money back right away and waited for my postal refund. I can't say what happened to my item when it left my hands. Yea some of you can invision what if you didn't put the correct item in the package George and tried to rip someone off. Well first I am a christian, and receive pension and would never risk losing my future over a felony. I would lose everything if I ever got a felony. So a man of God should be the first truth and only truth when living my life daily.

Take no chances against anyone in life people. I cried like a baby the other week when I was complaining about buyers that don't leave feedback and this jerk never once email after I asked him in a polite way are you happy with the coin I sent you. Three and a half weeks later, He finally responded and told me that he never received my coin. I told him I have his sig and on file the coin was delivered and signed for on this date and time. After I responded with the evidence. Got another email stating I am sorry I buy tons of items on ebay and yes after you sending me a copy of my insurance receipt on line from the postal service you were right, positive feedback will be left for you to close our transaction. Very sorry George and I mean that.

Some of you guys can ramble on and on, but you ever think some theives frequent this boards to see your ebay Id's and sales and read the lame opinions you guys share. Not saying all of them are lame but just this thread alone you guys are all over the place with different senerios.

I bettca there are many and bet you there are some dishonest members doing this stuff on here too. Do you know how easy it is to get a fake id? A po box or a address of a foreclosed home that just went on the market in some hoods?

Good luck and hope this helps. P.S. don't let the post office charge you money for insurance and not fight for you. As your 3rd grade teacher always said make sure you cross your eyes and dot a T. Or something like that. LOL.

That's why Fedex and Ups don't let people send coins or should I say insure coins anymore the theives are using websites, your honest ways and the postal service to steal your hard earned money. Always stay one step ahead of them. George (YAHA)

Also guys Jesse doesn't mean the way he said Idiot. He is upset that the system broke down when he needed it, but then some people seem to put the burden back on him. It's not Jesse or anyone else that has a opinion on what way it works or should work, take extra time. Remember If you don't act like a wolf well someone will eat your wallet.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    If you are taping a priority mail box it better be the priority mail tape or clear tape.

Some clerks will not allow priority mail boxes with brown tape on them, why? I have no idea but it happened to me
    just the other day.

I too sent the forms and receipts to my buyer the one time and he dealt with the PO.

I did because I had a DC showing that it was delivered.

Steve
    Good for you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file