Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wheatie Fans....seeking opinions from y'all

Hello all,

I am seeking opinions about a hoard of wheat pennies that I've owned since the mid-70's. My dad purchased a bag of 5000 pennies for me, which I am 100% sure have been cherrypicked over prior to that time. I examined every coin at that time, however I knew nothing about varieties (repunched mintmarks, doubling, etc). Being that there are new discoveries all of the time, what are the odds that there may still be some interesting varieties in this bunch? I love looking through old coins for rarities and I plan on pulling these from a safe at my old home some time in the future. I literally have not looked at these coins in at least 25-30 years.

So, do you think its worth my time and effort? What are some cool varieties that I should look for that were located after this time period?

Thanks for all of your advice & input,
Len
In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"

Comments

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the bag wheats only or a basic mix of 60's and 70's circs with wheats also?
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    O.K.
    I'm jealous.

Looking through that bag would be therapy for me lkrarecoins. Having gotten it from a loved one would only add to the experience.

Good luck

• Options
    lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    Jrocco...these are only wheaties and all from mixed decades. there are no key or semi-keys in the bunch.

Swampdude...yes, you are correct, the fact that it came from my Dad adds to the experience ;-) even if there werent any killer varieties in the bunch, it still is therapeutic to me as well. I sometimes spend weeks on end looking at hundred and hundreds of coins. Even if I find one thing that is interesting, my job is done image

Now, if i could just find the combination to the safe...lol
    In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey ILRC,
    As long as you are not looking for the keys or the gems then you can concentrate on
    the less common DDO's and DDR's some years worth looking out for are the 17, 35, 36, 37 41, 42 and the
    less common 55 DDO-2. There are others of course.
    Also look for the eye visible RPM's. If you want to thoroughly search for varieties and all RPM's be prepared to
    have a little work ahead of you as the mint mark area is notorious for collecting crud and
    this hides RPM's unless you work at the coins a little.
    Remember to have fun with this as I love to take my time with a 5K bag and look at the search being as much
    fun as finding the prizes.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Have a fun time searching!

Even if they were searched they probably only looked for key coins, you should find some nice varieties or even some nice normal ones that weren't as in demand 30 years ago.

Relax and enjoy the hunt imageimageimage
    Ed
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any mixed steelies in that bunch ??? Look for those 43 d/d, or RPM's...
  • Options
    razzlerazzle Posts: 981 ✭✭
    Coppercoins has a book out ( he posts here, too) which gives helpful info and pics of all the wheaties. It would have the updates you seek.
    Markets (governments) can remain irrational longer than an investor can remain solvent.
  • Options
    lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    Great advice all....much appreciated

I think this may take a while....I will be sure to post my findings once I delve into this task image It can't be any worse than sifting thru Roosies. Man I hate those little guys!

Happy New Year everyone!

Len

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file