Home Sports Talk
Options

Eye-popping Yankee player salary breakdown

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
Source - USA Today 12/30

For the upcoming 2009 season, assuming 4 ABs...

A-Rod will make $42k per plate appearance.
Tex will make $35k per plate appearance.
Jeter will make $29k per plate appearance.

Every 5th day of the season, assuming 7 innings...
CC will make $34k per out.

This is just for 4 players.

beyond insane!!

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Source - USA Today 12/30

For the upcoming 2009 season, assuming 4 ABs...

A-Rod will make $42k per plate appearance.
    Tex will make $35k per plate appearance.
    Jeter will make $29k per plate appearance.

Every 5th day of the season, assuming 7 innings...
    CC will make $34k per out.

This is just for 4 players.

beyond insane!! >>

And we all helped make it possible. Remember, we helped make it possible.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    if those guys pan out and pay big dividends the Yanks can secure the division with ease.

However, jeter and Arod have been playing for a good long time now. Injuries are inevitable. Will the pressure of NY crush CC like a bug? perhaps. He has failed miserably in clutch situations during the playoffs.

What about the sox. they gave big money to lowell and ortiz and both are nowhere near 100% anymore. and right now they dont have a serviceable catcher. will they resign varitek ? are they that desperate?
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    if money buys anything then the Yankees will win....however seems to me that one of the lowest priced teams made the WS last year from the AL......and I'm not even a Rays fan.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    unbelievable!!!

how is there not a salary cap?
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Even though the Yanks spent like crazy I still like my Indians chances....if Lee just pitches his normal season, say 15-18 wins and Carmona bounces back and the guys hit I think they have as good a chance as any...
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no question that several Red Sox players are waaaaaay overpaid for the performance turned in last year. To name a few...

JD Drew at $14m
    Ortiz at $13m
    Lowell at $12.5m
    Lugo at $9.25m
    Schilling at $8m and NEVER pitched an inning
    Timlin at $3m
    # 24 at $18.93m

The greatest majority of players are overpaid IMO. When you figure the season is only 6 months long, the money gets even bigger. Season starts in April and ends in late September. They get more $$$ for playoffs and WS appearances, not to mention the AS game. It truly is obscene. Who to blame?? Fans, owners and player reps. If we all keep going through the turnstiles, they will continue to pull in mind-boggling amounts of money. If A-Rod went 2-4, he'd be batting .500, an unheard of stat...we know he isn't gonna do that, HOWEVER, the other 2+ times at bat he still makes about $100k! Is there any way to justify his making $168k per game??? Don't think so.

Money does not, nor will it ever buy performance. That's the problem, money up front, no carrot to ensure a solid performance. I saw what Ramirez did to the Red Sox near the end, just sickening, and to think they were still paying him almost $125k per game.

Oh well, Yankee's money, we'll see who's standing in October. I'll bet my baseball collection that heads will roll BIG TIME if they don't make it to the playoffs. BTW, anyone think Damon was worth over $2m per month? Crazy stuff.

BTW, Dustin Pedroia made a PALTRY $457k last year and clearly outplayed those making 20 times that.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be interesting to see how the Yankees react when folks start dropping those NY sports cable packages, and corporations start dropping their NY season ticket plans, in this sour economy. That Yankee's financial statement is gonna look real ugly...I mean REAL ugly.
  • Options
    "unbelievable!!!

how is there not a salary cap?"

Players union doesn't want it, the big spending teams don't want it either.

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    LOL Steve, you still crack me up with your theory of the Yankees economic downfall. Just like any other fans, they will make the exception to watch their teams play so I highly doubt there will be a butt scratch of people dropping cable packages. Yankees and other teams will make their way through this economic downturn and will be fine when the economy is better once again. One thing we know is that sports and its salaries are going no where but up and will continue to do so. Big name players are more important than ever to sign to get butts in the seats. Payroll for the Yankees is STILL less than last years.

And it also still amazes me that people scream salary cap when it will NEVER happen. Just as Michigan said, players union doesnt want it and they are much too powerful of an influence in MLB.

And AGAAAIINNNNNN it has been proven over the past years that it matters NONE how much a team spends, it guarantees nothing. When are people going to stop whining about this? It's a tired arguement that doesnt hold any water. But Im sure people will be screaming "Yankees bought their championship" if they win. Yawn.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Geez I wonder how much the 4 top Red Sox Players make and the breakdown there.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Ok I did the math, based on 600 at bats

JD DREW gets about 25k per at bat

Papi gets 24k per at bat

Mike lowell 24k per at bat

Josh Beckett? 300k per start or based on 6 innings per game about 50k per inning.

Lugo is getting 20k per at bat. Jeter is a bargain!

And lets not forget the Sox were willing to give Tex almost the same amount!!

Yankeeno is right, this talk of caps and what these guys make is getting old and stale.

Of course they are overpaid! BUT 4+ MILLION paid fans make for a high payroll.

The Yanks routinely do 4 million fans per year, when they are on the road I bet the home team makes a little more too!

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    Geez I guess this thread died quickly.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    "The Yanks routinely do 4 million fans per year, when they are on the road I bet the home team makes a little more too!"

The Tigers have for this upcoming season introduced "flexible pricing" or whatever they officially call it where they will charge
    more for seats when the marquee teams such as the Yankees and Red Sox come to town.
  • Options
    4 season tickets behind home plate in new Yankee Stadium......$810,000.
  • Options

now there is a deal i want..ha ha
    i would even take $100,000.....
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options

lol now that is beyond insane if you ask me.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    While I agree the pay is "way out there" it is in-line with other "entertainment stars".

What does Tom Hanks get paid per movie? Brad Pitt? Ms. Jolie? You get my point? In addition, they continue to get royalties after the movie is over.
    Do you remember that the stars of the show Friends were EACH getting 1 million per episode (30 minutes) wonder what that was per line? They did 26 episodes a season.
    Todays players get about 2 weeks off. I watched an interview with MVP Albert the great from St. Louis, he was asked where he was when he found out he had won the MVP he indicated he was working out and hitting some balls. The season had just ended. He said he only takes 2 weeks off after the season.
    Players today may only play 6 months per year but they continue to work out and practice all year round. If they don't they will lose against all the other players who do.
    Until we as a society decide entertainers are not worth what they are and we stop spending our dollars on these items those prices will only continue to rise.

The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set