Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Lets see your wild boar....

Comments

• Options
    imageimage

C. Hosidius C.f. Geta, AR Denarius, GETA III VIR, diademed and draped bust of Diana, the moon-goddess, and sister of Apollo, facing right, with a bow and quiver on her shoulder. / C HOSIDI C F, the wild boar of Calydon running right, pierced by Meleager's spear and attacked by a hound. ref: Crawford 407/2, Sydenham 903, RCV 346, (3.7 gm.).

According to Greek legend, the savage Calydonian boar was sent by Artemis, who was offended by Oeneus, the king of Calydon. Oeneus called upon many Greek heroes to hunt down the boar together and save his kingdom. The hunting party included Jason, and crewmembers of the Argo (Telamon, Peleus, the Dioscuri, Laertes, Nestor, Meleager and Atalanta). Several of them were killed in the attempt before Atalanta, the great huntress, wounded the boar with an arrow, and then Meleager (an Argonaut and son of King Oeneus) killed it with his spear.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Well, CGC had the same idea I did, so this will have to be my contribution since you didn't specifically say on coins/medals image

Wild Boar Salami

Man, now I'm hungry.... image
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was hungry until I saw Josh's post. image

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Member catbert owns this one: Middlesex Ibberson's 342
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    I gave this one away in a past giveaway:

• Options

<< <i>I gave this one away in a past giveaway:

image >>

Now THAT'S my kinda coin/medal image I gotta get on of these for a pocket piece !
  • Options
    I gotta get on of these for a pocket piece !

It would make a large pocket piece.
    It's silver, measures approx 52mm and weighs about 51.2grams

• Options

<< <i> I gotta get on of these for a pocket piece !

It would make a large pocket piece.
    It's silver, measures approx 52mm and weighs about 51.2grams >>

Well, In that case I'd have to make it a Holey... wear it around my neck as "bling" at next years Memphis In May BBQ cook off image
  • Options
    Well, In that case I'd have to make it a Holey... wear it around my neck as "bling" at next years Memphis In May BBQ cook off

That would be sweet, a nice bit of bling.

• Options
    Might as well add this one (on my Web site, but didn't think of it before, somehow).

imageimage

CENTRAL ITALY, Sextans, 280-260 B.C., 39.76 grams. On the obverse is an Owl standing, facing left, with a Boar's head facing left, dividing two pellets. A very rare coin, with only six specimens known to Thurlow and Vecchi. References: RCV 574 Crawford 35/2; Sydenham 174, T&V 217. (provenance: Lot #114, Stack's Coin Galleries 11-12-03 Auction.)

The earliest Roman coinage followed that of the Greek colonies in Southern Italy. Issued during the Republican era, c.280-260 B.C., these coins were cast bronze pieces, with their value based on the Roman system of weights. The earliest Ases weighed a cumbersome 324 grams, equal to a Roman libra (pound).

The As was divided into twelve Uncias (ounces), along with three other fractional denominations.: the Semis, equal to half an As; the Triens a third; and the Sextans a sixth, with their weights proportionate to their value. Shortly after the introduction of the bronze coinage, silver didrachms (and some drachms) were minted, in order to facilitate trade with Rome's neighbors.

Cast bronze coinage continued to be issued for seven decades, but with gradually reduced weight standards, until it was replaced by struck coins, c.211 B.C., under the monetary reforms that were made necessary by the Second Punic War.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/