Home Sports Talk
Options

Red Sox have been after Hanley Ramirez

BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
just read at cnnsi.com that Boston and Florida have been discussing Hanley Ramirez. Boston has not agreed to meet the high asking price, of course

Comments

• Options
    It'll probably be a repeat of the trade that sent Hanley to Miami in the first place.

Boston gets: All Star
    Florida gets: Prospects

TAKE TWO
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    It sounds like the trade talks aren't going anywhere which is too bad for the Red Sox. Hanley Ramirez is one of the few players that I wouldn't mind trading the farm for. It wouldn't make sense for the Marlins to trade him right now though. His contract is relatively cheap compared to what they get from him.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    that doesn't surprize me, they got bay almost nothing, they get good players through trades, something the yankees don't do well.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

<< <i>It sounds like the trade talks aren't going anywhere which is too bad for the Red Sox. Hanley Ramirez is one of the few players that I wouldn't mind trading the farm for. It wouldn't make sense for the Marlins to trade him right now though. His contract is relatively cheap compared to what they get from him. >>

I thought Ramirez had a sixty or seventy million dollar extension that kicked in next year? I don't follow the Marlins though.
  • Options
    I think it is $70 million for 6 years, but compared to Teixeira (and others) that seems cheap to me considering that Hanley Ramirez plays a more demanding defensive position and puts up pretty outstanding offensive numbers. Also, I think that Ramirez's contract is back end heavy so for now there's no reason for the Marlins to deal him.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    the rumor i heard was Ellsbury and Buchholz for Ramirez....I would make that deal in 0.003 seconds if I were Theo

Ramirez is one of the top 10 all-around offensive players in baseball, at relatively cheap dollars (6 yrs, $70M)....Ellsbury will be lucky to ever crack the top 50, and who knows what Buchholz will turn into...I don't necessarily like giving up pitching, but they have a ton of young arms on the farm and on the Sox, so giving up Buchholz isn't that big a deal to me.

I think the plan would be to move Ramirez to CF, since he is pretty bad defensively.
  • Options
    going from Ellsbury to Ramirez in CF is a significant downgrade defensively. I wonder if that played into the decision? Lots of room to cover in Fenway
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am all over this deal- if its actually for real.