Home Sports Talk

Home underdogs!!!!!

An interesting stat for the upcoming NFL playoffs:
All 4 home teams in the wildcard games are underdogs.
Does anyone know if this has ever happened before?
Bill
wpkoughan@yahoo.com
Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards

Comments

• I can understand some games, some teams got in by winning their division with 8-8 record and on some division you have teams with 10 or 11 wins.

Since the #1 and #2 teams ion each conf have a bye I can see the teams favored being the non-div winners
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind". - Gandhi
  • It hasn't happened before.

Atlanta opened -3, which I thought was surprising, although I do think they'll win. I actually expected the Cardinals (and Chargers) to be very slight ~1 point favorites.

The only line that looks off a good bit to me is the Minnesota Philadelphia line. This is a total overreaction. This is the last game of the weekend and the public will be all over Philadelphia. I expect a burial.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It hasn't happened before.

Atlanta opened -3, which I thought was surprising, although I do think they'll win. I actually expected the Cardinals (and Chargers) to be very slight ~1 point favorites.

The only line that looks off a good bit to me is the Minnesota Philadelphia line. This is a total overreaction. This is the last game of the weekend and the public will be all over Philadelphia. I expect a burial. >>

When i first heard that Philly was playing Minnesota i thought immediately the Eagles were a lock in that game - I thought the line would be around -4 1/2 to 5 possibly higher for the Eagles...the one website i looked at had it Eagles -3 which surprised me a little bit.

To me that game is a brutally tough call if i was gambling on it - McNabb is just so inconsistent and it wouldn't surprise me to see the Eagles bounce in that game, or the Eagles could blow them out...that being said...Andy Reid really is a terrific coach at keeping his players balanced and focused, and while the Eagles could bounce...I don't think they will. If McNabb comes out sharp, it'll be a long day for Minnesota with the Eagles D playing so well.

Of course Childress knows the Eagles D very well as he was the OC for the Eagles, and of course it's vice-versa that Reid knows the way Childress thinks, so perhaps that's the reason the books think it's gonna be a relatively close game. I'd hate to be a local book in Philly laying -3 on that game, and not being connected to lay off some money because the potential for taking a big bath is there...of course it works the other way to.
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    the last week of the NFL season was a bonanza for underdogs.....if I remember correctly something like ten underdogs won....wish I had been in Vegas for it
  • so far the oddmakers are 0-2

I hope that holds out (at least for the Miami game) today and the home teams win
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind". - Gandhi
  • "I hope that holds out (at least for the Miami game) today and the home teams win"

Nope. On second thought, nope. Baltimore wins in Miami today.
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"I hope that holds out (at least for the Miami game) today and the home teams win"

Nope. On second thought, nope. Baltimore wins in Miami today. >>

Go Ravens!!!!!!
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell

<< <i>It hasn't happened before.

The only line that looks off a good bit to me is the Minnesota Philadelphia line. This is a total overreaction. This is the last game of the weekend and the public will be all over Philadelphia. I expect a burial. >>

Nice call Brian on the Eagles game - If I was a bookie, I wouldn't want you as a customer. image
    Brian - I'm guessing the line for the Eagles - Giants game will be around Giants -5

• << <i>Nice call Brian on the Eagles game - If I was a bookie, I wouldn't want you as a customer. >>

Well fortunately I don't have to be correct all the time - just a little over 50%. The Eagles proved they were clearly the better team.

<< <i>Brian - I'm guessing the line for the Eagles - Giants game will be around Giants -5 >>

I was thinking -6, but it's actually at -4.

That's a 5 point adjustment from the -9 line the last time they played at the Meadowlands just a month ago. If it goes to -3, I'd take New York out of principle, but I doubt it'll move much.

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice call Brian on the Eagles game - If I was a bookie, I wouldn't want you as a customer. >>

Well fortunately I don't have to be correct all the time - just a little over 50%. The Eagles proved they were clearly the better team.

<< <i>Brian - I'm guessing the line for the Eagles - Giants game will be around Giants -5 >>

I was thinking -6, but it's actually at -4.

That's a 5 point adjustment from the -9 line the last time they played at the Meadowlands just a month ago. If it goes to -3, I'd take New York out of principle, but I doubt it'll move much. >>

Wow, the line is out already? That was fast. Yes, it's not gonna move much from that - perhaps in the local areas the local books might adjust the line a little bit depending on the action, but not nationally.

The line could drift up to 4 1/2 or 5, but definitely ain't going to 3.

I "know" the Eagles fans were bigtime all over that -3 Eagles line in the Vikings game - Nice to see the books take a bath every now and then. Ha!