Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My first ancient Roman coin: Claudius II Gothicus tetradrachm

Claudius II billon Tetradrachm of Alexandria, struck AD 269-270.
High relief laureate bust of Claudius II ("Gothicus") facing right, legend AVT K KLAVDIOC CEB. Reverse eagle stands right, head turned left, wreath in beak, date L B (year 2 of his reign) in the field. Alexandrian portraits like this one for Claudius II were far superior to the portraits of him used on Imperial coins struck in Rome. This coin measures 21 mm, and weighs 10.49 grams; ref: Köln 3027.

Claudius was a much loved Emperor, especially by his legions, for having decisively defeated the invasion from the North of the Alemanni and the Goths (thus his honorary title). This was no small feat, because the army assembled by the invaders was 320,000 strong. His reign was cut short after he contracted the plague, and died at Sirmium early in 270, at the age of 56. He was deified by the Senate.

Actually, this piece was not actually "the" first ancient coin I ever owned. I bought one, just like this, around 1960, for $6, and it's long gone. When I saw this one, I had to have it, so coughed up $75. The photos below show it actual size.

Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/

Comments

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin and love the relief!
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    Nice coin!! I like it. image

Phoenix image
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is."
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see your Claudius Gothicus (nice provincial, BTW), and raise you one. image

The portraiture is far superior on yours, of course.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Might as well post the first Claudius, too, because... because... well, just because.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    OK, I'll see your Claudius As, and raise you ....

imageimage

.... two denarii. image

imageimage

imageimage

Just so non-ancients collectors know the difference, these were coined for the first Claudius, Augustus 41-54 A.D. He was the fifth of the so-called Twelve Caesars. Tiberius Claudius Nero Germanicus went from hiding behind curtains at the palace when Caligula was assassinated to being hailed as Augustus by the Praetorian Guard. This was in spite of his physical deficiencies and perplexing personal traits, and in the face of Senatorial opposition. Claudius treated the soldiers very well thereafter, and by added security measures, was able to survive many later attempted coups. He put considerable effort into his judicial role, reorganized the Roman navy, and annexed Britain and Thrace as Roman provinces.

Pictures aren't so good, but that was 4-5 years ago. There are a lot more that I took. About 10,000 are HERE.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

• Options
    My first Claudius (and Agrippina Jr), cistophorous, Ephesus mint, 11.3g, RIC 117, RF 4-1, ex Sternberg, 41 A.D.
    Obv. TI CLAVD CAESAR AVG PM TR P X IMP, head r
    Rev. AGRIPPINA AVGVSTA CAESARIS AVH, bust r:

Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    I'll have to fold, since because I was doing an emperor portrait set, I only had one from each Claudius. You win.

• Options

<< <i>I'll have to fold, since because I was doing an emperor portrait set, I only had one from each Claudius. You win. >>

Darn. Well, that saves me trouble of looking for that aureus pic (just kidding). It would have been nice if you could have continued with that, but it is a set that would probably never be completed.

<< <i>My first Claudius (and Agrippina Jr), cistophorous, Ephesus mint >>

Great coin. I love the irony of them both on the same coin, as well as her and Nero. What a family. image

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deleted

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Nice Web site, WillieBoyd2. A little bit of everything. image

• Options
    An update (meaning finally got my very small collection uploaded) - my site of Romans

PS - I welcome offers of highest quality Romans ....
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options

<< <i>finally got my very small collection uploaded >>

Size isn't everything, very nice coins there, especially the denarii of the Republic; I know how hard those are to obtain.

• Options

<< <i>My first Claudius (and Agrippina Jr), cistophorous, Ephesus mint >>

I agree- that one is awesome.