Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Need authentication help on this gold solidus

Greetings all,

I picked up this little gem knowing full well that it may or may not be genuine. I'd like to attempt to authenticate it in the bezel, if possible.

The coin itself is approximately 20MM in diameter, and my very limited attribution skills tell me that it should be a Solidus of the joint reign of Constans II and Constantine IV, 654-668 AD, Constantinople.

I'd like to know whether this is likely to be a genuine piece, or if these were commonly produced as replicas for jewelry. I'd also like to know your best guesses as to likely weight & fineness (if authentic) and value, of course.

Any other comments are welcome as well.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike

Comments

• I have owned very few Byzantine coins, and authentication from a photograph alone is not necessarily conclusive. It needs to be weighed, viewed under magnification, and the edge examined. However, this one looks genuine enough.

THIS PAGE has some examples of the coinage.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • critocrito Posts: 1,735
    If it was real it would be in a slab. And if it was worth something it'd be in a PCGS or NGC slab. And if it was PQ it would have a CAC sticker on it.
    That's all I need to know about coins anyways.
  • ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    If it was real it would be in a slab. And if it was worth something it'd be in a PCGS or NGC slab. And if it was PQ it would have a CAC sticker on it.

That isn't necessarily true.... I wouldn't tell someone that their coin is a fake or replica based off the fact it isn't slabbed... I've seen MANY high dollar coins that weren't slabbed with some TGP's stamp of approval. Who knows, this could be the real McCoy. I am pulling for it to be real since I like seeing others come into good fortune....helps with the karma thing!
    Todd
  • StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the link, CGC. The photos there are very helpful.

Mike

• << <i>If it was real it would be in a slab. And if it was worth something it'd be in a PCGS or NGC slab. And if it was PQ it would have a CAC sticker on it. >>

Tongue in cheek, right? image
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Image is broken..... I thought about finding an auction with a PCGS fake slab...... but I figured I would take the high road...
  • CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    The coin looks genuine to me. It's pretty common and is only an average example. Like CGC said, only a partially informed opinion since it's just a photograph.

BTW, I think Crito's pulling your leg. image
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.

Thanks, Civitas.

(No worries about Crito. This ain't my first rodeo. image )

I've been told several times that to think otherwise is a sign of an inexperienced and immature collector (or someone with no coins worth over $100). So I'm just trying to fit in with the crowd here. Who knows, I might start collecting tangerine and chartreuse toned silver coins next too. image

<< <i>I've been told several times that to think otherwise is a sign of an inexperienced and immature collector (or someone with no coins worth over $100). So I'm just trying to fit in with the crowd here. Who knows, I might start collecting tangerine and chartreuse toned silver coins next too. image >>

No, no, no. You've got it all wrong. Certified First Strike, PF70 Modern Commems are where the REAL value is! (... and colorized state quarters, of course.)

edited September 30, 2021 4:00PM

I decided to scrap the bezel. (It's 18 kt, and quite hefty at over 12 grams, so it will make a nice addition to my scrap pile!)

The coin weighs 4.41 grams, and is 19.1 mm wide x 20.9 mm tall. Here are new images:

imageimage

Comments, anyone?

Mike

• Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Mike,
    Looks very nice and authentic to me.
    and I like it more without the bezel image
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Based on your photos I see no reason for concern.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks real to me.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.