Home Sports Talk
Options

The First Victim of the Stupid Eight 4-Team Division Setup -- the 11-5 2008 New England Patriots

ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
I knew crap like this was going to happen. Is this really good for the NFL? Watching the Lousy 8-8 Cardinals and 8-8 Chargers? Next year you might have a 6-10 division winner. Way to go No Fun League. Don't forget to fine Wes Welker for his "Snow Angel".

NFL, please go back to 6 Divisions and 6 Wild Cards. Idiots.

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cards finished 9-7..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

I'm very sorry this happened to you ...

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    As a Colts fan, I can sympathize with you on a smaller level.

We're in the playoffs, so it's not quite the same, I agree.

But there is only one team in football with a better record than Indianapolis, and Indy is a 5 seed and will not get a bye, and in all probability, not even see a home game in the playoffs.

The only team in football with a better record than Indianapolis happens to be in the same division. It sucks, but it's the rules, and everyone knows them going in.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guaranteed the NFL ain't changing it back, and of course you know that.

It is what it is - some year it could favor the Pats.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to guess the Rams aren't too sympathetic here...image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it is what it is. The Patriots should have beat the Jets a few weeks ago. That's why they are not in, IMO. For having let up the most sacks in the league, having no DBs of note, having injuries galore, and bringing back 50 year old linebackers from retirement (ok, that's a stretch), I'd say the team did well.

And yes, failing to win a SB is failure. Draft well, trade well, train well, sign FA's well, prepare for next year. How about those Bruins!
  • Options

<< <i>For having let up the most sacks in the league, having no DBs of note, having injuries galore, and bringing back 50 year old linebackers from retirement (ok, that's a stretch), I'd say the team did well.

>>

Agreed they did quite well with what they had. Therefore, Matt Cassel deserved a shot at the playoffs. He might not get that shot again for a long time if he signs with a crappy team for $$$$.

Prediction: 49ers win the NFC West next year with a 6-10 record. Should Singletary get Coach of the Year?
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    atleast the jets had the decency to let the fish win the division and let the pats stay home with them
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    Even with the 3 division, 3 wild-card team format the Patriots would still have failed to make the playoffs.

It would have been Chargers from the West; Titans, Steelers, Ravens from the Central; and Colts, Dolphins from the East. How did the Patriots get screwed?
    Brett
  • Options
    boo hoo wheres the "tuck rule" for making the playoffs when you need it? or wait how about video taping the other teams signals instead......
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

New England Patriots record this year vs teams
    outside their division with at least a 500 record :

week 6 - lost to San Diego
    week 9 - lost to Indy
    week 13 - lost to Pittsburgh
    week 16 - beat Arizona when the Cards had nothing to play for

Yup, 1 - 3 when they faced average or better opponents.

Playoffs? Playoffs?
    They don't belong in the playoffs this year because they couldn't beat the good teams.
    Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    "The First Victim of the Stupid Eight 4-Team Division Setup -- the 11-5 2008 New England Patriots"

Nobody wants to watch the Patsies in the playoffs, Connecticoin -- and even "fewer than nobody" wants to hear you whining! Would you like some cheese with that?
  • Options
    wolfbear made a good point.

they sucked against quality teams. better off at home resting peacefully lol
  • Options

<< <i>New England Patriots record this year vs teams
    outside their division with at least a 500 record :

week 6 - lost to San Diego
    week 9 - lost to Indy
    week 13 - lost to Pittsburgh
    week 16 - beat Arizona when the Cards had nothing to play for

Yup, 1 - 3 when they faced average or better opponents.

Playoffs? Playoffs?
    They don't belong in the playoffs this year because they couldn't beat the good teams. >>

More Bullsh*t. They went 11-5 -- they should be in. There are too many damn divisions, period. I suppose last year's 10-6 Giants didn't deserve to be in either.

And I'll whine if I want to. image
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lesley Gore
    "It's My Party"

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to
    Cry if I want to, cry if I want to
    You would cry too if it happened to you

Nobody knows where my Johnny has gone
    But Judy left the same time
    Why was he holding her hand
    When he's supposed to be mine

Then all my records keep dancing all night
    But leave me alone for a while
    'Til Johnny's dancing with me
    I've got no reason to smile

Judy and Johnny just walked thru the door
    Like a queen with her king
    Oh what a birthday surprise
    Judy's wearing his ring

Oh-oh-oh It's my party and I'll cry if I want to
    Cry if I want to, cry if I want to.....
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    NFL has th best divisional alignment, regular & post-season schedules in all of sport.

You don't change a format that works because of a once/twice in 10 year occurrance happening.

Pats got what they deserved. They played the two weakest divisions in 2008: NFC & AFC West; contributing heavily to their 11 wins.

In 2009 they will have to play the entire NFC South & AFC South, as well as Ravens & Broncos to round out their divisional matchups. Good luck on getting 11 wins next year.

On the flip side, the Dolphins will not sniff a winning record next year.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik