Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Earn an easy $5.00! Survey Regarding Eye Appeal

To all coin collectors, dealers and people with knowledge of coins in general - the more knowledge, the better.

I need your help in a survey and am willing to pay for it. If you choose to participate, please PM me an address where I can send you a check for $5.00. No strings atached - I need the opinons of other coin people.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..... But what about coins minted in the same year, and identically graded from the same grading company?

Attached below are two coins photographed in Tru-view full photos – both obverse and reverse. The coins are graded the exact same grade by the same grading service, and minted in the same year: PCGS Lincoln Cent PR 65RB. I own both coins, if that matters to you at all. I simply need a very easy answer, or you may choose to elaborate on your choice to me in private at duane.blake@comcast.net. I hope that you do answer, as your opinion is valuable to me. I will explain why in the future. I do not want to skew the survey results by telling you the reason yet, and it is not relevant anyway. So just one easy answer is all I ask (and private elaboration to me would be great, so others are not influenced by your opinion).

My question is very simple - I am asking all who wish to respond which coin would the viewer think has the better eye appeal? On the survey, it’s just one or the other answer. Coin “A” or Coin “B”. If you really cannot say, I leave a third choice that you can respond “I cannot say”. An explanation from as many coin people, with comments as they may deem appropriate, would be great, but not necessary, as I do respect your time.

Should you also feel compelled, please privately indicate your area of expertise in numismatics. For example; brilliant proof Lincoln cents or Mint State Morgan Dollars. General terms are all that I’m looking for.

Thank you all very much if you choose to give your opinion. I will explain after the survey what I am doing,

Sincerely,
Duane Blake

Coin “A”

Coin “B”

Comments

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I voted coin A but I don't think could go wrong with either. image
  • Options
    Subtle choice, as they are identically graded - that was done intentionally, as you probably guessed.

But I suspect one will be statistically significantly higher in the end.

Thank you for the response - I appreciate it.
  • Options
    I like coin "B". I think "A" has a coloration that just doesn't look natural to me, whether it is or not. I would even argue the RB on "A". I see it as a fully brown, or non-red coin. Although "B" has some distracting marks behind Lincoln's head, I still prefer its eye-appeal to that of "A".
  • Options
    I prefer B- I'm not a colorized fan of Lincolns, unless the tone looks natural to copper, in which I feel the A coin looks enhanced- but that is my opine.

Natural beauty of copper seems to have a more subtle toning especially in proof coinage.

• Options
    to me, it's not that "A" doenst look natural, it just that I don't like wildly toned coins. - particularly the reverse.
    so I chose "B" image
  • Options
    partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    Coin A, but man is it tough. Both are nice looking, but I would choose which coin best matched the set I was trying to build. Oh and the $5, please give it to charity.

If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • Options
    Coin B. Looks more natural.
    Give my $5 to charity also.

Ray
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin A. Fascinating!

PM sent.

To charity, please.
  • Options
    also chose "b"
    steve

myCCset
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    I say coin "A" hands down. I see more detail and a slightly better strike. The spot
    on the reverse of coin "B" in the N bothers me.
  • Options
    razzlerazzle Posts: 981 ✭✭
    Duane,
    Coin A. The fields are cleaner, the strike a little sharper, and the colors are rich and unusual. Please forward my $5 to watersport who is helping a friend rebuild a stolen collection. I hesitate to give his address here, but will PM it to you.
    Chuck
    Markets (governments) can remain irrational longer than an investor can remain solvent.
  • Options
    Coin A, I have a growing affection for rainbow colored coins... pass the money to someone needing it more than I....
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 813 ✭✭✭
    I like A simply because it has more vivid detail and toning. I also like the brilliance of the
    surfaces. Lincoln's face also has an "sad" look as if he is shedding a tear, perhaps for the
    Civil War.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Coin A looks less natural but coin B has a spot on the rev that bugs me.

It's almost a toss up but I'd prefer coin B because it looks more natural.

I give free opinions LOL.
    Ed
  • Options
    It's the same coin, you don't owe me anything.
  • Options
    I think coin B has better eye appeal because of the uniform red color on the obverse.
    Coin A has a somewhat splotchy rainbow coloring which might be more appealing if the carbon spots weren't so plentiful on the obverse to throw it off.
    The reverse of coin A is a bit better than the reverse of coin B, in my opinion, because of the distracting marks around coin B's letter N in ONE and the blotch on the N in CENT.
    But I'm saying that coin B is net higher eye appeal based the the higher pleasingness of the obverse.
    Cheers!

edited for typo
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Coin A is the nicer one of the two for a number of reasons...

1. Coin B has spots on it, one of which (on the reverse) could be actively damaging the surface of the coin.
    2. Coin B has a streaky appearance which will only detract further from the coin over time.
    3. Coin A appears to have a surface and color to go with the surface that will last longer. Coin B appears to be 'toning down' and probably will not be attractive for as long as coin A.

Interestingly enough, both of these coins came from the same die pair. All of the die markers on both coins are identical.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    myself...i chose coin "a"

coin "b" not as pretty and has an ugly in the "n" of one on the reverse that looks active

if ya really want...send tha $5 to texast in this thread
    a good cause
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    I like Coin B.
    Most of my opinions have already been said before.
    The contaminate on the rev of coin 'A', behind the 'C', is also distracting to me.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like either one. Both have spots.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I selected Coin A for reasons that agree with C.D.'s following observation post:

<< Coin A is the nicer one of the two for a number of reasons...

1. Coin B has spots on it, one of which (on the reverse) could be actively damaging the surface of the coin.
    2. Coin B has a streaky appearance which will only detract further from the coin over time.
    3. Coin A appears to have a surface and color to go with the surface that will last longer. Coin B appears to be 'toning down' and probably will not be attractive for as long as coin A. >>

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    Dear All-

Thank you for your enthusiastic responses. Started on 3:17PM on December 28, 2008 and officially ended on 6:17PM on December 28, 2008.

We officially received 55 responses in three (3) hours. 4 responses were not yes/no, so cannot be counted. On the remanding one pick or the other pick, we actually had 30 votes for Coin "A" and 21 votes for Coin "B", or roughly 66-67% for coin "A" having the highest eye appeal, even though the coins are officially graded by PCGS identically at 1938 PR 65RB. So essentially, 2 out of 3 collectors would chose one coin over another based on eye appeal where the coin’s grades are identical, and the eye appeal is almost exactly the same. How to fix this problem, and take the industry to the next level? I think an answer may be possible. I think this survey goes a long way to just show that the perception is more that in the industry – it is a fact. I now this is a ‘loose’ survey, but I think better surveys can be created to establish more of the points we intuitively know, but do not yet have a method to correct with confidence. But I am confident that there are ways to handle these tyes of issue by any means.

In addition to the number of people who responded, we had a wonderful diversity of collectors respond as well. I feel very fortunate that my survey generated a response from Mr. C. D. Daughtrey, an expert on Lincoln Cents who has been collecting Lincoln Cents for over 40 years [see: http://www.lincolncent.com].

All who have asked will be paid the fee I offered; most gave their knowledge and opinion freely, or requested that I donate the fee to the non-profit of their choice.

So once again, thank you all who participated.

To answer those who have inquired, I intend to use some of the particular information that was gleaned to prove a point which I will be making in a patent application that I am completing shortly. No names or opinions will be used - just general principles. For example, two (2) entirely different coins can be graded by the same service at the same grade, and yet while they will both receive the same price guide value (in this case, PCGS), one of the two coins will be desirable to 2 out of 3 collectors.

My invention will teach how the grading services, should they choose, use the new grading systems that I have invented to assist the numismatic community as a whole become more certain in its grading, and allow the services to improve and broaden their services and other offerings.

So thank you all, one again, thank you for PCGS for creating such an interactive and open membership message forum, and hopefully, my fellow collectors will appreciate my systems when they are made public, which will be very soon.

Sincere regards, and happy holidays.

Duane Blake
  • Options
    I like coin A

No need for payment, my opinions are worthless, just ask my wife....................image
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Duane,
    In this instance I voted for "A" for eye appeal, primarily because of the mark at the reverse "N" on cents. I can appreciate colorful Lincoln proofs or business strikes, but my first thought when I see a colorful Lincoln is "Is it AT or NT?" I believe that most knowledgeable collectors at least think of this when digesting the "eye appeal" of colorful Lincolns.
    I personally think the painted color state quarters that were produced have "eye appeal". Most collectors somehow don't like them that way. We currently have Barack Obama's image painted on dollar coins. They look pretty to me and have eye appeal to me.
    So what I am trying to say is that colorful coins can have eye appeal simply because they are colorful. That doesn't make the coin more valuable if the underlying thought of the collector is "Is it AT or NT?" JMHO.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    Coin A toning is crazy on that coin
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    I went with B but I also don't like that spot on the "n"
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duane,

I'll play.

I prefer "A". I like NT better than "as minted" color. "B" is likely preferred by those that don't like the toned coins and prefer more of a RD copper. That is understandable as well.
    If one's collection is largely toned, and colorful, then "A" is likely to be preferred. If one collects copper, and prefers more RD or RB with more of a red look, then "B" should be preferred, and that is ok.

Also, though there are copper spots on both, "B" seems to have more on the OBV in a prime part of the field. I don't like that.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    After some reflection, I chose "A". I also noticed that 4 or 5 of the responses preceding this one mentioned unnatural looking color as one (or the only) reason they chose "B". The color could be distorted by chemicals or Photoshop, but I think you have to assume that the color is probably natural because it's in a PCGS holder. As for the photography, they're both Trueviews.

I think that if you assume the colors are natural and that the photography is reasonably close to reality, that "good eye appeal" often is another way of saying "attractively colorful toning", all other factors (grade, spots, etc.) being basically equal. Of course even among coins of the same metal, eye appeal can refer to OTHER exceptional characteristics such as outstanding luster, strike, surfaces, or perhaps an attractive, circular pattern of non-colorful toning.

In this case, since I assumed the toning is natural and the photography is reasonably realistic, I think the top coin has much more eye appeal because the top coin is ridiculously colorful while the bottom coin doesn't have ANY especially positive attributes. So for me it's not really even a close contest, the way I analyze it.
    I am not kidding,

G99G
    I collect 20-slab, blue plastic PCGS coin boxes. To me, every empty box is like a beating heartimage NOT.

People come up sometimes, and ask me, G99G, are you kidding? And I answer them no, I am NOT KIDDING.

Every empty box?
    C'mon!
  • Options
    I would take coin A in my opinion. I feel the fields are cleaner.
    pjlcoins on ebay
  • Options
    Coin A.....love the toning, and a sharper strike.

I'll come up with something, eventually.
  • Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    Hi Duane,

For me, the choice would almost certainly be Coin B. It has a natural 'look' to it and I'm sure most people who were to look at the coin would agree.

Although I do think Coin A is prettier, I'd have a hard time believing Coin A is natural. There is something about that combination of pink and green on the reverse that seems like it was manufactured. Again, this is just for myself, but I doubt I would lay out any 'real' money for Coin B if I was working on a set of brilliant proof Lincoln cents, I would only want it at a discount and it most likely would only be a placeholder until I could find an even prettier, albeit more natural looking one.

Again, this is only what I would do for myself. I understand that the market values PCGS' opinion very highly, and if PCGS slabs it, it's good enough for them. But, they've been wrong before, as I'm sure you know. Nobody's perfect.
  • Options
    I think coin A is by far superior to coin B. Both are naturally toned and I would pay much more for coin A than B, probally as much as 40% based on what I collect. I do collect circulation strike lincolns. So coin A!!
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both coins look good for the grade... But I voted for coin "A", since the colors look more vibrant.
  • Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    I went with "A", I personally prefer coins with attractive toning. I think it sets the coin apart from other examples and avoids the possibility of having a sets of coins that have different dates/mintmarks, but that all look similar.
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    B

The eye of the beholder
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote B.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. "B" just has that awesome natural dark red and nice orange glow to it that screams originality.

Edited to add: of course I like "A" also
  • Options
    I know, the survey ended a week ago. But, my two cents on your two cents: I went with "A," too. Spots or no spots, it had dramatic coloration patterns, and I'm an enthusiast of toning. You can have a dozen of the finest specimens of a coin known, but the eyes will first jump to the one nearby that's green and purple. Toning is also so very individualistic, and can make a coin with a slightly lower grade stand next to giants.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    Sorry for the delay. I was undergoing a back operation, and am now home healing. For everyone I owe, I'll get those $5 bills off in a week or so. For those of you on the fence about the two coins, does the close-ups below help a little? They are obverse magnifications of the same two coins..... Sincerely, Duane

• Options
    I don't want any $, but nice photos! To be honest, I'm not a Lincoln guy but if I had to choose I like the look of "B" a little better. Coin "A" has that neon look that tends to make me cringe.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are both spectacular.

I will go ahead and vote "A". Unique, the reverse strike looks spectacular.
    Somehow the obverse spotting of "B" detracts for me.
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I chose A because I think it will be a better looking coin than B in several years if the toning continues.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm down with BPL
    Yeah, you know me...

Seriously, my eye is now trained toward color. A, by far. Still, I wouldn't kick B out of bed, either.
  • Options
    MillerJWMillerJW Posts: 649 ✭✭
    I love coin B!

The sunset colors look amaizing. Im not into the bright pink/purple collors as they look really AT to me image
    MSgt USAF Jan-06 - Present
  • Options
    Thank you, all. On the close-ups, I'm surprised that no one mentioned the varied strikes, or the swirl diagnostic on Abe!

Please assume that the coins are NOT of the same grade.....

Anyone care to offer a grade for both coins, based on all photos and information given? Hints: Both coins are graded as proofs and have numeric grades. One coin IS graded higher than the other by PCGS.