Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Anyone here using the Variety review? I received back 3 a couple weeks ago

I sent a couple Wash quarters and a Kennedy half. These were already graded and of course I had to get them true view'd image
received on 12/02 shipped on 12/11 pretty good turn around times.

1957 25c proof die reverse - cert lookup
1957 25c proof die reverse - medium pic

1964 25c proof die reverse - cert lookup
1964 25c proof die reverse - medium pic

1964 50c QDO FS-105 - cert lookup
1964 50c QDO FS-105 - medium pic

Comments

• TwincamTwincam Posts: 814 ✭✭
    Nice lookng coins Ken!
    I especially like that half image
  • Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    I love the Washington Quarter, for sale?
    Dan
  • cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dave,

I really like the half too, thanks. I think it is a top end 65 and maybe someday a shot at 66 image Your Kennedy set is looking rather awesome! I still think the '64 SMS doesn't belong in the VAR set, but maybe in its own '64 SMS mint set.

Dan,

Not sure which Washie your asking about, but the only one I would think about letting go is the '57, but I don't really know the value yet and the dust needs to settle some on these type-b reverses. There has been some discussions on the boards and here is my thoughts. The '57 has been noted as being some what plentiful in the mint sets and out of the 180 some already in MS67 (or recently made) I have only seen (counting this coin) 7 that have been sent into PCGS for Var review. That being said, the $20 fee is high, but most should be able to afford that. This almost reminds me of (and I know you will remember this) when PCGS started attrib the Roosies as FB. There were several folks that sent their Roosies in for the free review and it seemed like everyone was waiting for the market to embrace the change and for a price to emerge and then it needed to settle. There were not that many Roosies that moved from the "then" column of MS67/68 to the FB attrib. So Dan, let me ask you and the other board members what % of the current 1957 MS67 pop will move from there to the FS-901? This kind of stuff is what make the hobby so neat for me image i.e. when will PCGS start attrib the walking liberty half? image

MOC,
    thanks, what I really like about it is that the toning is not so dark and I can hold it in hand and enjoy the strike and color with out a light image I'm glad to see you still posting here and there on the boards. That was a killer Washington set you assembled!

Ken
    Just wanted to send a big congrats! to a fellow board member that just recently sold his MS67 1957 ty-B reverse for $450 on on e-bay. I'm not sure but I don't think PCGS recognizes the prices from e-bay, but it sure shows the $300 level it is at now needs to move on up image

• fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• I missed this thread the first time around. Real nice looking Kennedy there. image
    Tony,

Was this a coin you just purchased? Just curious why the cert says "Minor Variety" and the coin# starts with a "V". I would think it would be worth the $24 VAR fee and a trueView photo, cool image

Tim,

Thanks, I'm way behind you and Dave in this series. These are pretty much impossible to cherry pick at shows these days.

• << <i>Tony,

Was this a coin you just purchased? Just curious why the cert says "Minor Variety" and the coin# starts with a "V". I would think it would be worth the $24 VAR fee and a trueView photo, cool image

Tim,

Thanks, I'm way behind you and Dave in this series. These are pretty much impossible to cherry pick at shows these days. >>

Ken,

If you send a coin into PCGS for variety attribution, you pay $24 for the service. If the variety is not in the Cherrypickers' Guide, PCGS takes your money but only puts "Minor Varity" on the label with a "V" in front of the coin numberimage

You would think for the $24 fee they would tell you which die variety it is instead of just saying "Minor Variety" image

Seems like you are paying for a service and PCGS is coming up short image
    Tim,

I did not know that, thanks. Sounds like the old "E" coin number.
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats with your submission. I was going to be sending in a group soon myself. My question is how do you get the true view for your coins??? I have not been able to find any info on it.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>Congrats with your submission. I was going to be sending in a group soon myself. My question is how do you get the true view for your coins??? I have not been able to find any info on it. >>

Put Truview in the "Other" column on the submission form. Cost is $10. Also write it on all four sides of the submission form, then highlight it. Also put a label on the outside of the box stating Truview.

This method has never failed for me.
  • SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    Nice coins. Trueview is a great value @ $10.
    You never lose your pictures!