Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Copper Proof Grading Challenge

Okay guys - recuperating from operation, and bored here - no looking it up ... what is your best grade estimate of the coin posted below?

I honestly think the slabbed grade is so far off, that most of us could not guess. But maybe it's a lack in my skills. If you do try, can you give me a reason why you graded as you did.

Enjoy.

Duane

Comments

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    66 RB no cam

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    That would have been EXACTLY my grade, as well - nope! image
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    PR65/Brown
    Dan
  • Options
    Good guess - nope -challenging, huh? image

Any reasoning behind the grades, before Teddy peeks? image
  • Options
    65RB
  • Options
    You got it - I had it down as a 66RB. I cannot find anything wrong with the coin. Beautiful toning, nice detailed strike for a pre-war cent, great diagnostics. Why is this coin NOT graded 66 or better?

How did you truly know? Also, do you think this coin will recieve an upgrade when the the entire set is submitted next week?
  • Options
    Fcloud & Dan50- You guys have seen plenty of coins ... upgrade to 66?

Happy holidays.

Duane
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i'd add this

i've never seen such over polishing of a proof lincoln die like this one

abe has no shirt detail at all under his coat...his lapel on the rt side is just floating...most unusual on a lincoln as kennedies were plaqued with over polishing
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    Great point, Ted. Seems like they were keen on heavily polishing the 1938 dies. I also picked up what may be a 1938 diagnostic (too soon to tell, as no materials yet exist on the 1936-1942 proof series diagnostics), but this one does look very dramatic - (we just need to poll others, and see if they have noticed the same). Included the photos below. Looks like someone cleaning the dies may have gone overboard with a circular polisher, and buffed deeply into the surface of the die in a circular fashion. These photos are from my only 2 proof 1938 specimens, so I would like hear from people collecting both/either proof or circulation Lincolns' from that time period. These 1938s, in connection to the 1936 dramatic diagnostics we have already found (those obverse die striations covering almost the entire surface), it would appear that a decent study might be done on a short, affordable series.

Maybe we can refer to this as the Lincoln Head "Circular diagnostic".

Enjoy.

Duane

• Options
    Something to compare to- I just got this one back as 64RB-
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Fcloud & Dan50- You guys have seen plenty of coins ... upgrade to 66?

Happy holidays.

Duane >>

Tough call. About 90% of the coins I've sent in upgrade, so maybe you have a shot. image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    chrsb - "Something to compare to- I just got this one back as 64RB-"
    a) Nice coin! The only thing I can see keeping it off 65 might be what looks like carbon spotting in the obverse fields spotting up behind Lincoln's head and a few other spot here and there.
    b) MS or PR? Looks MS as the surface look satiny and the rim are a little tricky to tell if it's proof.
    c) cannot see any striations (I enlarged mine to 100X, which is the size you are viewing - do you have as enlarged obverse photo of you coin, or do you see what the other coins have, that we are calling the "Lincoln Head "Circular diagnostic" in your coin? Having no stiations would make sense if coin is mint state or if the coin is proof and maybe multiple dies were used for the 1938 proofs?

Fcloud - "Tough call. About 90% of the coins I've sent in upgrade, so maybe you have a shot."

Good to hear. Ironially, the coins are both graded PR65RB, but the one I ran by all for the upgrade thoughts has a better strik, and is a cleaner coin with a better balence of color - I may send them both in together for comparitive purposes. A picture really is worth a thousand words.

Thanks for the optimism...

Duane

P.S. I am going to include both coin's Tru-views photos in full - both sides. I am going to take a survey as to which coin would coin people generally woulsd say has the better eye appeal? Look for the survey post. An answer from as many people, with comments as they may deem appropriate.

The tile of the post will be Survey regarding Eye Appeal

Thanks again. Duane

• Options
    Duane,

It is a PR64RB, here are the original pics before being cropped, looks like your "B" example in the other thread