Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Authenticity check: Queen Elizabeth I coin

Any expert opinions? This is a nice one if it's authentic. On ebay

I apologize. I can't get my computer to copy and paste for some reason. Anyone know where I can dig into my computer to allow copy and paste?

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
#2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
#8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set

Comments

• ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Not really sure what is going on if you can't right click and copy. Try a restart first.... Regardless, here is the link!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Great-Britain-Elizabeth-1-1562-6-Pence_W0QQitemZ150317836078QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20081226?IMSfp=TL081226119001r24967
    The coin looks like it has waves in it as if it is warped....
  • CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    These early milled coins frequently have some waviness to their flans. The coin looks authentic to my eye.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • This is a milled 6 pence, much rarer than the hammered ones. Civitas is correct, many have wavy flans. Looks legit to me also.
    By the looks of it.... to me.... it appears as if it was rolled through a press of sorts... I have never looked up the definitions of milled and hammered so I am going of looks. I haven't ever collected these types of coins so I'm not familiar with them. Thanks!
    Todd
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I purchased this one from Pegasi Numismatics some time ago:

imageimage
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I purchased this one from Pegasi Numismatics some time ago:

>>

Nice coin! Great detail. image Thanks for the answers everyone and thanks for the link todd

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The tanners from that era were thin, but broad coins so they were also called benders as they did bend easily.

These were also the original coins for the sixpence in her shoe. When a man proposed to a lady then he would give her a sixpence as a token of his affection, if she bent it and cast it off - she did not want to marry him. So bent coins might have a sad tale to tell.

My then fiance got a 1562 milled tanner when I proposed to her, and she kept it in her shoe when we were married. She still has it, all these years later.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

• << <i>The tanners from that era were thin, but broad coins so they were also called benders as they did bend easily.

These were also the original coins for the sixpence in her shoe. When a man proposed to a lady then he would give her a sixpence as a token of his affection, if she bent it and cast it off - she did not want to marry him. So bent coins might have a sad tale to tell.

My then fiance got a 1562 milled tanner when I proposed to her, and she kept it in her shoe when we were married. She still has it, all these years later. >>

That is a cool piece of information, thanks!image

• << <i>The tanners from that era were thin, but broad coins so they were also called benders as they did bend easily.

My then fiance got a 1562 milled tanner when I proposed to her, and she kept it in her shoe when we were married. She still has it, all these years later. >>

Congrats on your 446th wedding anniversary!
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    The coin looks fine to me. The person who photographed it did a poor job with lighting (I know it when I see it because lighting seems to be my downfall as well), but that is the only problem I see.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com