Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

TTM Auto Experts....advice requested

I would like to start trying to get autos TTM. The players I want to get were not superstars, and for the most part should be pretty easy to reach.

I used to get lots of TTM autos as a kid. I would send cards to all of the Astros players every year.

What do you guys send with the cards? As a kid, I would include a short letter. Do you guys include letters? If so, what kinds of things do you say?

I don't want to come off as a creepy stalker dude or something.

Comments

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa creepy stalker dude, thats funny, i just write hey would you please autograph the enclosed cards and i remember when ya did this and that, pour it on thick is what i doimage
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I include a letter no longer than 1 page. I print big so they can read it easy. I ask them specifically for what I want, and I try to include a brief touch of humor or something I admire about them. I also thank them in advance for complying. Good luck!! For some of the guys, I'll also include some $$.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking that maybe if I told them I was dead, they would always sign.
  • Options

<< <i>I was thinking that maybe if I told them I was dead, they would always sign. >>

at the very least they would all send you money..ha ha
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    To avoid potential disappointment, get the self-stick envelopes for your SASE. It makes it easier for the signer to seal and reduces the chance that they'll send it without sealing it if it is the "lick-em" kind (ie Charley Taylor).

Also, with the postal rates changing, it would be prudent to use a "FOREVER" stamp for the SASE in the even that the signer takes a little extra time to return the item. There's nothing worse than having a signer have to add postage to an item...a pretty sure way to never see your item again.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    very true,self stick is the best, and the others really tasteterrible when you do 100 or so in a couple dayimage
  • Options

<< <i>To avoid potential disappointment, get the self-stick envelopes for your SASE. It makes it easier for the signer to seal and reduces the chance that they'll send it without sealing it if it is the "lick-em" kind (ie Charley Taylor).

Also, with the postal rates changing, it would be prudent to use a "FOREVER" stamp for the SASE in the even that the signer takes a little extra time to return the item. There's nothing worse than having a signer have to add postage to an item...a pretty sure way to never see your item again. >>

Great advice...

I always included a typed note generally I make it basic and than just put new players names in so I don't have to come up with a letter each time.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    No need to start a new thread on this topic, so I will continue this one.

I want to get into TTM. I was just wondering how to prepare.

I am thinking of Steffi Graf as my first one. Her address is available and she sends back a personally signed photo of herself to fans. So, tell me how this sounds:

1. Write a nice handwritten letter--one page only

2. Make sure the SASE is big enough for the portrait and reinforced by cardboard backing, with sufficient postage

3. Put SASE and letter in larger envelope to address provided on fan site.

Am I missing anything??

For someone like Frank Thomas, whose address is also available....:

1. Nice handwritten letter--one page only

2. USE Card Saver I 's for getting baseball cards signed. One or two cards to sign, plus one for him to keep (I heard he likes that and thinks its polite)

3. Make sure SASE has enough postage (use only forever stamps?). Card Saver I's should be sufficient protection for the cards when in a #10 envelope.

4. Put letter, SASE and Cards in CS 1 all in a bigger envelope addressed to the appropriate place.

Did I miss anything here?

I read as many threads as I could to make sure I have some education on this. I am sure I have a lot of things right, but there are always minor things that I did not think about that you can help me with.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No need to start a new thread on this topic, so I will continue this one.

I want to get into TTM. I was just wondering how to prepare.

I am thinking of Steffi Graf as my first one. Her address is available and she sends back a personally signed photo of herself to fans. So, tell me how this sounds:

1. Write a nice handwritten letter--one page only

2. Make sure the SASE is big enough for the portrait and reinforced by cardboard backing, with sufficient postage

3. Put SASE and letter in larger envelope to address provided on fan site.

Am I missing anything??

For someone like Frank Thomas, whose address is also available....:

1. Nice handwritten letter--one page only

2. USE Card Saver I 's for getting baseball cards signed. One or two cards to sign, plus one for him to keep (I heard he likes that and thinks its polite)

3. Make sure SASE has enough postage (use only forever stamps?). Card Saver I's should be sufficient protection for the cards when in a #10 envelope.

4. Put letter, SASE and Cards in CS 1 all in a bigger envelope addressed to the appropriate place.

Did I miss anything here?

I read as many threads as I could to make sure I have some education on this. I am sure I have a lot of things right, but there are always minor things that I did not think about that you can help me with. >>

I would not use card savers...just put the cards with no holder in the envelope. Many players end up signing the holder and not the cards. I have never had a card damaged when I sent through the mail. Besides holders make it hard for the athlete to sign the cards and you risk the player deciding not to sign because he cannot get them out of the holder.
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I always use CS1 to put my card(s) in. I send a personalized letter, the CS1 with the card(s) and a SASE for the return. I always put a 4ever stamp on the return envelope ... this way no matter how long it takes for the person to sign and return, there is enough postage. I am still new at this (started about 5-6 weeks ago) and have sent out a little under 200 requests. I've probably gotten back 30 - 40 and there have been no issues regarding the CS1. However, I have heard of athletes signing the holders instead (but I believe most of them were penny sleeves).
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Since CS1 are bigger, I am sure that kind of holder should pose no problem or confusion to the athlete. They are easy to use and large enough to take the card out easily without damage or difficulty. CS2's would be a different story, the same with the penny sleeves. I am gald you warned me about the chance that the holder gets signed, not the card.

I guess the key to all this is that: make it easy and convenient for the athlete to sign.

I heard some people send in a sharpie too....why is that? Is it just to ensure the sig is archival? There are better products for archiving. I think all athletes use the sharpie as they sign many cards at once. Its not like a TTM request comes in and it gets signed right away with whatever pen is available. TTM requests are collected and the athlete sits down prepared to go an hour to two of signing....
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I guess the key to all this is that: make it easy and convenient for the athlete to sign.

I heard some people send in a sharpie too....why is that? Is it just to ensure the sig is archival? There are better products for archiving. I think all athletes use the sharpie as they sign many cards at once. Its not like a TTM request comes in and it gets signed right away with whatever pen is available. TTM requests are collected and the athlete sits down prepared to go an hour to two of signing.... >>

I guess it all depends upon how popular the athlete is. With some of the lesser known old timers (and even with a few of the more popular ones), I have gotten cards BACK in one week. Seems to me that the athlete signed as soon as they received the card and returned it right away. The majority of the sigs are in sharpie, but I have gotten back quite a few in ball point pen. So if it is a MUST that you get a sig in sharpie, I guess sending the sharpie is a good idea.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.