Home Sports Talk

European soccer

Anyone here follow Eurpoean soccer? Any one been to a game in Europe?

Comments

• jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I loosely follow the Premier League and Serie A. Never been to a game, but I might be travelling to London sometime in the next 4 months, and I'd love to catch a game.
  • Watch out for flying coins thrown by fans, they are the weapon of choice these days at some European soccer games. Here is one
    of many incidents:

The Sunday Mercury are reporting the man who threw the coin at linesman or is it assistant ref's these day, Phil Sharp. Think that is the same one who missed the handball by Gary Cahill in the Villa v Bolton game last week. I digress...

Apparently the police identified which seat the coin was thrown from and the 45-year-old man turned himself in.

The CPS will now decide what charges should be brought.

Looks at the very least the chap will have a life time ban from Villa Park and all grounds across the country and rightly so.

Some soccer players have picked up the coins thown at them and hurl them back into the stands just inflaming the situation.
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I love it, but have never been to a game, let alone to Europe.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • I follow it. I'm not a diehard, but I tape an occasional EPL game on Fox Soccer Channel from time to time.

Our family moved to Scotland for about 6 months when I was younger. We lived about 10 minutes away from Livingston FC, who used to be in the Scottish Premiership, but have since been relegated. We went to a lot of their matches and saw teams like Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, etc. come through and they even hosted a friendly against Manchester United. Man U didn't bring their whole squad but guys like Scholes and Giggs were there and to see them up close was an amazing experience. We also made our way down to a Newcastle United match in England.

On top of that we saw a lot of Rugby, and we were also season ticket holders of the Scottish Claymores, an NFL Europe team.
  • Hey jdip9 if you go to London,the obvious teams to see are Chelsea or Arsenal,both full of superstars ,good luck getting a ticket and be prepared to spend upwards of $100 for a ticket. But if you just want to see a game and still have awesome atmosphere pop down to loftus road and watch Queens park Rangers,once a great club and trying very hard to get back there. The club is a family oriented club and VERY little trouble.('Cos I am in Canada now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    If you get to Spain try to get to see Barcelona. The Camp Nou stadiam seats 120,000 screaming fans.Most of their games are evening games (heat) so be prepared for a late night.
  • Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    When I lived in Aberdeen, Scotland in the early 80s, I was a fan of the Dons and watched them play throughout Scotland and in a Cup final against Rangers. It is definitely a different atmosphere than what the players experience here in the states. I do watch some of the matches when shown on ESPN, but is not quite the same. I was able to see Chelsea play at home during that same timeframe and would echo scooperqpr's comments.