Home Metal Detecting
Options

2 questions: Anyone detect near San Antonio, TX and where can I get a decent starter set up?

I am a collector of many things, but moving back to my past, I was an active prospector, GPAA (gold prospectors association of America) and I miss the thrill of the hunt. what I am getting at if there is someone in San Antonio( I just moved down from Dallas) who has been detecting here for a while I would love to pick your brain ( I'll buy the beer and dinner) I am not asking for all your secrets but just some pointers on where to go around here. I would really appreciate it. Also is there a reasonably priced starter package to get me going? If you would be willing to take me out on a hunt and give me the 10 minute how to I would be eternally grateful. I have an old whites detector I used as a young pup ( am 29 now) that my grandfather gave to me to search arroyo beds in Phoenix, never had much luck as I never really fond anything other than beer caps and such. if you are willing to help me get started I would be soooo grateful. Let me know if you can help on either issue. Again I am not asking for your secret spots, but maybe you know of an area where I can go find some older, not so much valuable, but interesting stuff.

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Jeff

Comments

• Options
    kellyco.com the fisher holiday pack. two of us got one.$275.00
  • Options
    There are several detectors you can purchase as a kit from numerous dealers. You need to decide how enthusiastic you are about detecting and what type of detecting you're going to do. Not all machines can be used for every type of detecting. Some are good gold machines, some are good coins shooters, and some are for hunting very deep targets in clean ground. Those are just a few examples. Also the price is a factor. Some folks go in cheaply find they really do enjoy the hobby. Then they upgrade later. That's a wise thing to do if you're not sure about how much detecting you're going to do. My suggestion is to look up the local dealers and test drive various machines. While you're there talk with the dealer before you commit. Most dealers are not offended if you don't buy from them. Once you know what you want then you can order it from an internet dealer if you want. Most dealers will match price and still give you all the goodies as a package.

As far a places to hunt - that is very broad. Parks, schools, soccer fields, ball fields. old homesteads, and etc. Don't plan on hunting the Alamo grounds though... image.

BTW, you said you're from Dallas - or at least you moved from there. I was raised in Dallas and it has some great places to hunt that are legal.

G Man
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Check out this web site: http://www.dirtjournal.com/forum/index.php

Many of the members are in TX.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage