Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Do British proof sets of recent decades have very low values?

U.S. proof sets are so inexpensive that I was thinking about decorating one wall of my office with a run of 1968 to the present.

Are British proof sets of comparable value, i.e., usually less than $20 and often less than $10? If so, I think I might prefer a wall of British proof sets. They'll look more interesting and the cleaning lady will be less likely to steal them.

Also, when did British proof sets start getting put into hard plastic holders?

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good question. I have a lot of six 1970 Brit proof sets up for my consignor right now, on eBay. They are of course in the hard plastic cases.

I have had them myself, in the past, generally in the $10-15 range, though I cannot recall what Krause price is offhand.

Prior to that, the only British proof set I had was the big 1937 set, which was of course not in a hard plastic case.

I agree with you that they might make a more interesting wall display than US sets. Or pick a birthyear or some other date and go for a proof set from each country from that year (assuming the year you choose has readily avalable hard-cased sets from several countries).

Who remembers the old IHOP restaurants with the coin displays on the walls?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Most of the proof sets from the 1970's are fairly cheap, but beginning in the early 80's, when the UK introduced the £2 and £5 coins, the values start rising. Then you get the years that will have both a regular issue and a commem 50p, and/or a regular issue and commem £2.
    I'm not afraid to die
    I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it

• << <i>Who remembers the old IHOP restaurants with the coin displays on the walls? >>

My girlfriend works @ IHOP, but it's a newer store, and no such coin display. image
    I'm not afraid to die
    I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it

• wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    From a cost standpoint, it is better to wait a few years after a Brit proof set is issued before buying it.

Just like US proof sets, most drop in value from their issue price, but will be worth a bit more than coin face value.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>From a cost standpoint, it is better to wait a few years after a Brit proof set is issued before buying it.

Just like US proof sets, most drop in value from their issue price, but will be worth a bit more than coin face value. >>

I think I waited too long on the 1911 set. image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    I think I waited too long on the 1911 set.

My statement of course is only true for the modern decimal sets. All of the predecimal sets are quite valuable these days. image
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And that explains why I still have not obtained a 1746 proof Crownimageimage

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.