Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

(: My daughter is showing an interest in world coins... wants to start collecting them. We need some

My daughter is 7 years old and likes to explore my "treasure chest" of junk world coins. She has asked numerous times about starting her own collection. How serious is she? not really sure at this point, but I would like to get her going on something simple, fun and cheap. maybe just an album with plastic 2x2 type pages?

But I thought I would ask here and see if you guys have any suggestions for us... both album wise and just general suggestions on how to go about this.

I am really not a "world coin" aficionado so a little guidance is needed for me and "Maddy Rae"

thanks all!

-sm

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Victoria is 7, too.

If Maddy Rae was also born in 2001, I might have a duplicate 1901 Victoria around here. I'm sure of it. You could do '01 coins.

You could do animals, or birds, or ... whatever she wants!

I'm standing by, ready to help.

Victoria Hope has a nice collection going, a type set of all Victoria-portrait coins from across the whole British Empire, and she is taking an interest in Queen Victoria now, and Victorian things, but is only lukewarm on the coins. I won't push it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    PS- big, shiny, colorful aluminum Mardi Gras doubloons are a hit with the young crowd.

I have a cool hexagonal one here, I think.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    yes LM... 2001...

Late Night September 10th, 2001 to be exact...

you can imagine the memories we have of that night / morning.

thanks for your starters... animals.... hummm... she DOES love animals!

-sm
  • Options
    Wow, what a 24-hour period that must have been, for better and worse.

Your daughter is eleven days older than mine. The "New Victorian Age" began on 9/21/01.

And Victoria is also animal crazy. But we have six cats, three dogs and a pony.

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Your typical coin store usually has a bucket of these cheap world coin treasures. I know my local 'good' store has many buckets.

Why not take her to a coin store and go search through a bucket, letting her get anything that catches her eye? You may want to scout for stores that have 'treasure buckets' first so that you don't take her to a few bad places first.
    Then, you might be able to gauge her interests better and provide some guidance, refinement and information along the lines of whatever interest she has?

It reminds me when I walked into that store and a father was there with his son, searching through zillions of silver dimes and quarters. But... What was said pretty much floored me.
    Father: "Don't skip over and ignore these dark coins. They can be very nice too. That dark stuff can be fixed!" image I hope they did not notice my eyeballs pop out and my hair go straight up. The coins were not that dark; just a little toning. I wonder...was it RickO?

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Victoria and lions, hmmmm, our tastes may run along the same lines if she narrows her animalsimage I have extensive collections of both and could provide guidance.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Find an animal she really likes and go that route.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I'd get a world map or globe and get a coin from each country, teaching her culture and geography at the same time. Might consider doing it with paper money too.
  • Options

<< <i>I'd get a world map or globe and get a coin from each country, teaching her culture and geography at the same time. Might consider doing it with paper money too. >>

I actually saw a commercial on TV for something like this... I know I know... but for 20 bucks you got a cool map with holders for coins and a handful of coins... did not catch the info though.

I asked her again today if she really wanted to do and her eye lit up and she seems pretty excited... so that was cool to see.

-sm
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is something called the Black Book of World Coins. It is readily available in good book stores and it could provide a neat checklist for collecting a nice sampler of world coins.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    Here is a website that might be helpful. I plan to get my daughter interested in collecting by animals...

Coin Zoo
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Try a bulk lot / bank bag of world coins and maybe even a cheapo lot of banknotes. There likely won't be much of value, but they would offer a variety of designs and bang for the buck - and hours of fun sorting through together. Lots of the cheaper banknotes have cute designs that kids like, like the Belarus animal series (link only for illustration, there may be better deals out, there I don't know the seller).
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    Topical collecting has always been popular for YN's. Another might be a Business strike year set. Should be doable and inexpensive.

Start with the 21st century Krause catalogue and rummage thru dealers' "junque"/bargain bins.

Have fun with the hunt!
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay