Home U.S. Coin Forum

3 at 94; 1 at 92

So this is my 1918/7 SLQ's fourth trip down to Newport Beach. Three times before it has come back as
altered surface and when they posted my grade online a couple of days ago it said; Genuine ( altered surface ).
Soon after it disappeared off the site and just now it has reappeared with the tag; Genuine ( cleaned ). What?????
Make up my mind. I think I'd rather have an altered surface than a cleaned one. Maybe overdipped?

molon labe

Comments

• RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭
    Why would you prefer an altered surface to a cleaned example?
  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather have cleaned than altered surface.
  • SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think I'd rather have an altered surface than a cleaned one. >>

Isn't it just another way of saying cleaned
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me, that is like saying I'd rather have 6 eggs rather than half of a dozen. image
    Thanksgiving National Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024 at the Eisenhower Allstar Sportsplex, Gettysburg, PA. Tables are available. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,191 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time for a crack out and four trips to the butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker, the mechanic, the babysitter, the baby, etc...

There is a fellow named Joe who would have that in his Dansco 7070. Altered or not.

HE>I

• With a coin like that, I wouldn't give a damn what some fool typed on the label.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭

dang, nice coin. You ever thought that they might be protecting themselves and their guarantee with a coin like that? I wonder what the psychological process is on some kicker coins.

-wes
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you send it down the fourth time with the plan to be content with a genuine slab?.....or do you not think the surfaces are altered/cleaned? If you agree that the surfaces are altered, logic dictates that your previous three attempts were to knowingly slab an altered coin? Bad Man!

• lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    it's probably just me

i thought the overdate had a diagnostic of no step under rt foot

cleaned or altered would turn me off on this as the profit potential to turn an 18-s into an overdate is there
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just be happy, at least it's sitting inside a pcgs genuine holder, and not inside a polyflip holder (BB)...
  • Yes I'm happy that PCGS started their "Genuine" service although the reason
    I have submitted it three times before is I had hoped to get it slabbed in a regular graded holder.
    I was encouraged by the resubmission of a '17s type 1 SLQ that PCGS had originally bbed as altered surface
    but came back ms-63FH.
    I can see how PCGS would be hesitant about putting it in their regular plastic if they had any doubts about
    the coin but I'm sure they're not crying about all the money I have sent them.
    In my mind "cleaned" is forever while "altered surface" has a bit of wriggle room.
    Can't blame a guy for trying image
    molon labe
  • overdipped.
  • Put it in a tissue and leave it on a windowsill for 6 months. Allow it to turn a nice golden-honey-tan. It just looks too unnatural the way it currently is.
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    ^^^ What he said ^^^

Let me try to describe what I see:

I see luster flow, but it looks like the small flow lines in the metal are exaggerated and 'opened up' more than they should be. Etched? To the point that the surface starts to look granular.

And then there is the pale brown matte surface that shows up in the deeper parts of the devices on the obverse. I recently dipped a chlorine-job Morgan and that is the color surface I was left with.

I bet time will 'heal' this coin somewhat.

I do like the coin, simply because those confusing overdates where you can hardly tell what year it is fascinate me.

The flat spot on the head. That's an incomplete strike, correct? Not wear?

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i thought the overdate had a diagnostic of no step under rt foot >>

Never heard of that one. Most people look for the die clashed E to the left of the knee.

Maybe store it in a taco bell napkin for a few years image

Its still a sweet coin no matter what holder its in image
  • Adamlaneus, From what I understand the overdate was poorly struck and hence the incomplete strike
    on the head and shield. When I first saw it I was fooled into thinking it was a circulated coin but as I learned more I realized
    it was a MS quarter with a sub standard strike. I had it in ANACS plastic and they called it "cleaned" with a
    grade of MS-60 which I understand is the highest grade they will
    give for a details coin. The photos do give it a "granular" look but in hand it's much better although when you compare it to
    a slabbed coin it does seem to be lacking in the luster department. My guess, like that of GoldenEyeNumismatics, is that someone went
    to the dipping well one to many a times. A shame but what can you do.
    I am tempted to go the Taco Bell napkin route but seeing I'm a novice at this stuff I'm worried I'd just make things worse.

molon labe
  • rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

<< <i>it's probably just me

i thought the overdate had a diagnostic of no step under rt foot

cleaned or altered would turn me off on this as the profit potential to turn an 18-s into an overdate is there >>

None under her left foot, and this is missing it biut it appears to be an early die state coin to me. Someone else asked about the flat head, this one is actually pretty well struck and has more head details than most IMO. You can see the front part of the hair line above Liberty's eye and her temple behind her eye is defined, on most typical weak strikes her head is flat, looks like what you'd expect to see on a VF or F coin.

I think the coin has been overdipped myself.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file