Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone want to guess the grade of these 1928 Golf cards? Grades are in!!

Im going to send these in to PSA next week but wanted to get some opinions on what PSA might grade these.

my guesses, I mean hopes:
Jones-8.5
Hagen-8
Serezen-9

Comments

• Options
    Serezen 9
    Hagen 8
    Jones 9

Great looking cardboard!
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Jones-8
    Hagen-7
    Serezen-9

I guessed 7 for the Hagen simply because of the MC. It may come back with a qualifier. Freaking nice 80-year-old cards though!
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Im going to send these in to PSA next week but wanted to get some opinions on what PSA might grade these.

my guesses, I mean hopes:
    Jones-8.5
    Hagen-8
    Serezen-9
    image >>

I admit I know absolutely nothing about these cards, but if I had to guess I would say they are reprints - they just look too good...way too white for a card that old, unless they've been bleached.
  • Options

<< <i>but if I had to guess I would say they are reprints >>

I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw these cards. I can't see these being real cards and being that white after 80 years.

For what its worth

• Options
    54topps54topps Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>but if I had to guess I would say they are reprints >>

I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw these cards. I can't see these being real cards and being that white after 80 years.

For what its worth

9 >>

When I scanned these cards I made them as bright as possible to show detail. Here is the untouched scan. I bought these as part of the complete set. I hope they are real!
  • Options
    Good Day,
    Actually they could or could not be reprints. Some Churchman's were reprinted later and have different types of identifiers on the back, some even have a lillte different backs with the same fronts and some have nothing different, which in a sense makes some later reprints a moot point, as in certain issues they are all called the earliest date of printing. Those are at best questionable, and color of the paper really has nothing to do with it, I have 1888 Kenni's with whiter borders than those, I just don't buy the back, it looks like a later reprint, but I don't really know the issue. And good luck with PSA knowing the difference, I have 40-50 different Non Sports that are labeled Re-print, that aren't, and numerous of the same that are Re-prints, that are not labeled as such.

Grades are 9, 7, 7.5, or Grader # 2 they are 9, 8, 8.

It's all a crap shoot.
    Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< and color of the paper really has nothing to do with it, >>>

Actually it does - It is very difficult if not virtually impossible to duplicate the aging process look of titanium dioxide, the whitening agent in paper. When you've looked at tens of thousands of cards like I have, I can spot a phony card a mile away just from the way the white of the card looks. That being said, with the different way cards are scanned, this isn't always easy to tell on a computer screen.
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Look like beautes. I'd say 8-8-9.
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    evidence of trimming

edit to add.. hope I wrong.. even when I see high grade goudey or whatever.. my reaction is there is no way that card survived with perfect corners..
    especially when card collecting wasn't thought of the way it is now
  • Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    I have quite a few Churchmans. They are the 1938 boxing type, but the backs are very white on many of them. Below is a scan of a psa 8. Not a great scan, but you can see the back is very white. Yours all look like my 1938's. I will not guess the grades because I am terrible at that.

imageimage
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    All my churchmans, Hignetts etc etc etc are white too.

If they are company reprints who cares.

I doubt very much that some scammer reprinted them.

Many of these sets never saw the back of a cigarette pack, many were back doored or cut up later from sheets.

Nice cards, I bet the seller claimed they were very good. lol

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    i have something similar. i am not sure what year they are. does any one know?

Bill
    looking for PELLE LINDBERGH's psa and 1960 fleer baseball psa 8 and up
    sets in progress
    R.I.P. Barstow 24 April 1999 - May 15 2009
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    The above set I think is Sarony 1923 origin of games.

Steve

OOps meant to say 1923 not 29.

Nice set one of my favorites.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Sweet!
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    Jones PSA 9 YEAH!!!! image
    Hagen PSA 7
    Serezen PSA 7 WHAT!!!!image

Im thrilled with the Jones PSA 9 but im scratching my head on the Serezen. I'll post scans when I get the cards.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    I would resubmit that Serezen. Thats undergraded in a PSA 7 holder. What are those things worth? Any idea?
  • Options
    SMR on the Jones in a 9 is $2500. VCP does not have any record of the last 9 sold. Any one know what the last 9 sold for??