Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

OT - but what the heck

They are predicting a 100% chance of a white Christmas here. I know that is probably nothing new to those of you who live in the tundra, (farthing), but we usually have a white Christmas only 50% of the time. Here is a view taken from my front door today.

P.S. the world isn't slanted, that's my camera work.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for posting that picture...reminds me of PA when I was growing up. I've been in NC for 25 years, and recall one Christmas snow.image

But I can live it vicariously through others.image Here's the best we had in the last few years, it lasted less than a day.

My back yard-

• Options
    Don that is how it looks here in NH. We got about 10 inches yesterday and another 12+ forecasted for tomorrow.

But i won't be having a white christmas because I am heading to NC to see my family. I think I will bring some shorts!!!
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Don - you're correct, it'll be a white Christmas (again) on the tundra. However, we have had several "green" Christmas's the last few years, I think statistically we have a 70+% chance here. Yes, it's currently snowing here - the East coast and mid-east can expect this coming your way in a few days.

R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great pictures...

and for the record, the world really is slanted and its not Ajaan's camera workimage

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Nice to see Snowy scenes.. brings back a lot of good memories image

Unfortunately it won't be snowing here (Memphis) on Christmas Eve, so I guess I'm still "obligated" to show up @ my Brother-In-Laws house grrr.

I swear.. his family get togethers are like an episode of "My Name Is Earl" !!
  • Options

<< <i>for the record, the world really is slanted and its not Ajaan's camera work >>

Actually, it was he who tilted the world. It was fine until he took his picture.
    Roy

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here on Long Island:

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Here's my frozen corner of NY, about an hour north of Syracuse. I think we're guaranteed a white Christmas this year image

Technically, we only got just over a foot yesterday, but thanks to the wind I have a 3 foot drift in my back yard.

That's a 12 foot pile of snow in the center! I still find this much snow odd.. I came here from Arizona!

Yep, the sun's shining and it's 7 degrees above zero... what a nice day! image
  • Options
    Man, I'm enjoying these pictures!image

Keep 'em coming!
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spoon is in the major snow belt of New York State. People think Buffalo gets a lot of snow. We are a desert compared to Watertown.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Here's my place - we got a quite a bit more snow than usual in Western Washington. I took this today - last snow that fell was Tuesday, and we're looking for another big drop this weekend.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    White Xmas for us!!

I shovelled four times yesterday!!
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    I went outside a few minutes ago and took these images.
    Another big snow storm is set to hit Idaho tomorrow.

• Options
    Well, it's raining and 66 degrees here, so all I can do is dig up a few old pics. Hope no one minds a few old pics.image

These are from my trip back to PA about twenty years ago, taken where I grew up -

• Options
    Where in PA did you grow up?

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>Where in PA did you grow up? >>

Ever been to Raystown Lake? I was a few miles away, bike-riding distance actually.image

Altoona is probably the closest "big" city.
  • Options
    Never been there. I've only been to the Pittsburgh north to Erie area. I did spend a week in the Philly airport one afternoon though.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

Well, Here in Spokane, Washington, we got 2 feet of snow in one day and more on the way.

Shep
  • Options
    Aaaahhhh! You guys are killin' me with these snow pics!!!

I miss snow!

Haven't seen any since moving from Nashville down here to South Australia 3 1/2 years ago.

I took this pic just a few minutes ago out on our back veranda.

It's actually been cool so far this year, but summer's just getting started! We're supposed to get some rain and cooler temps tomorrow.

Cheers!
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    woo, nice snow pics, in ottawa we've gotten 100cm from the sky so far, and there may be up to 40cm more before xmas day
  • Options
    Stubby, that temp reminds me of my days in Thailand. Not quite that hot in late December, but close. I remember a day of 98°F on January 28th, and Christmas' in the 90s.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Not very cold in Scotland at the moment. A little windy and some rain.

Here's a picture of the park, as you can see not a snow drop in sight.

• Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I'm just about to go outside to shovel for the 4th time in 3 days. And, it's still snowing.

Gotta get the snow out of the way so I can drive to hockey.
  • Options
    This photo taken about 15 minutes ago:

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I caught a few minutes of the game this afternoon, and it looks like you guys in New England are getting hammered. (with snow, not at all in the gameimage)
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I envy you guys with the snow. It has been years since we had a white Christmas here.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, at least the roads are clear, and your folks up there probably know how to drive in it.

I got my comeuppance- when you told me you were snowed in, and I boasted that we had short-sleeved weather in the high sixties (it actually hit 70-something and the A/C came on in the house), things turned around and now we've only got a high in the fifties today, and possible frost at night.

It's pretty to look at, that white stuff, if you don't have to drive in it. Thanks for the picture- that's nice. Nicer for me to look at than for you to experience, probably.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I like these kinds of SSP threads. Too bad the atmosphere is so strict against it on the other, more quarrelsome forums.

Here are two of mine from this week.

Sunrise at low tide on the SE part of St. Simons Island. The sandbar was exposed, and covered with birds, who unfortunately flew off before I could get the camera out. As visible only on the clearest days, Little Cumberland Island is visible in the distance, looking oddly disconnected, like it's levitating on the horizon.

Shrimp boat going out. Taken from the same spot (both this and the above picture were shot out the window of my van as I left work in the early morning), here is a shrimp boat going out for the daily catch, running past Jekyll Island with the nets out, and an entourage of seagulls following.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    So as to be up to the minute and current, here's my backyard, about five minutes ago.

The temperature is probably in the high forties or low fifties at the moment- my neighbor was complaining about the "cold", but I told her I would take this kind of weather over July and August's heat and humidity, gladly. It's actually a pretty day, clear with a blue sky, though considerably colder than the last few days of "short sleeve" weather we've had. December is like that, here. We've run both heat and A/C this week, sometimes within the same 36-hour period.

Don, when you and Kelly are ready to come somewhere a little warmer, I get a $59/night "Friends & Family" rate at my place of employment. Y'all could come walk on the beach. Heck, I'd pick up the tab for your first night.

• Options
    We now have close to 20" of snow on the ground with drifts over 3 feet. To top that off, our snow blower died today. Oh well, I'm not gong through winter without a working snowblower so we'll be snowblower shopping this afternoon.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I'll probably go to Lowe's or Home Depot today, too, to get a leaf blower. We need one. I'll also get ladymarcovan's Christmas present. I'm thinkin' one of those carts that you reel up a hose on, and some flats of pansies, and maybe some other garden-related stuff. (Ladymarcovan is an avid garden enthusiast).

• Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

Okay, someone is going to have to explain this me. What is that i'm looking at, pillow stuffing? Why would you all deface your couch cushions for aesthetic purposes?

hmmmm........

Doug
    confused in Phoenix
  • Options
    Went to three stores. All the snowblowers < $1000 are sold out. Not surprising with all the snow we have.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭

Anyone care to go snowmobiling this weekend? I know a great spot.
    Stanley, Idaho web cam
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    It's snowing those awful little round flakes...

Dark and dismal day. I wish I was at Lord M's resort, it looks amazing.

Becky
  • Options

<< <i>December is like that, here. We've run both heat and A/C this week, sometimes within the same 36-hour period. >>

Sounds like western Kentucky. Last night was down to 8, with a wind chill in the negatives. By Friday, we are supposed to be in the mid-60s.
    I'm not afraid to die
    I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it

• Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825

<< <i>Well, Here in Spokane, Washington, we got 2 feet of snow in one day and more on the way.

Shep >>

Shep,

I grew up in Spokane. Please post a pic of the snow!

Bob
  • Options
    Just a little dusting in Albany...

Happy Holidaze to all!
    Tom
    I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy them too soon.

Proud (but humbled) "You Suck" Designee, February 2010.
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    At the rate we've been getting snow, I'm predicting a 99% chance of a white easter.

My snowblower can't throw the snow over the piles of snow on the side of my driveway anymore....... image
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options

<< <i>So as to be up to the minute and current, here's my backyard, about five minutes ago.

The temperature is probably in the high forties or low fifties at the moment- my neighbor was complaining about the "cold", but I told her I would take this kind of weather over July and August's heat and humidity, gladly. It's actually a pretty day, clear with a blue sky, though considerably colder than the last few days of "short sleeve" weather we've had. December is like that, here. We've run both heat and A/C this week, sometimes within the same 36-hour period.

Don, when you and Kelly are ready to come somewhere a little warmer, I get a $59/night "Friends & Family" rate at my place of employment. Y'all could come walk on the beach. Heck, I'd pick up the tab for your first night. >>

Wow, that pic reminds me of where I grew up in Live Oak, FL. In the winter, the ground was covered in the tiny little Live Oak leaves. Since we were about 90 miles from the nearest coast, it did get a bit cool now and then. I saw it dip down to 10F once back in the late 70's and we had a dusting of snow, but that was extremely rare.
  • Options
    Well, I dunno where Live Oak, FL, is, but we're only a stone's throw from the FL border, and we have lots of live oak trees here.

If Live Oak is in northern Florida, it would probably look pretty similar to here in south GA.

I'm enjoying everybody's snow pictures.

(By the way, that's my daughter's miniature horse grazing in our back lot, not a big dog. There was a big black Lab just out of the frame of the shot, too, though.)

• Options
    Well, we went from 62 degrees Saturday night to 26 degrees right now, and 19 by tomorrow morning. Better get those pansies in the ground, LordM!image

• Options
    Brr.

We didn't make it out to Home Depot or Lowe's, so I didn't buy any yard stuff or flowers, as it happens. Ladymarcovan said a TV installer was supposed to come out, so I stayed put. But he never showed.

We had frost on the ground an hour or two ago. The grass was all sparkly in the streetlight. Gonna be a cold one tonight, even here. We'll probably get a freeze.

And we ran A/C just two days ago, like I said. That's December for you, in these parts. Back n' forth.

• Options
    LordM,
    Live Oak is 50 miles south of Valdosta.

I spent a nice weekend at Tybee Island way back in 1980, when I was stationed at Warner Robins. Beautiful area. I consider that whole general area (North Fla - South Ga) home!
  • Options
    I went to school at Valdosta State, for a little while.

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Well, this isn't what I expected...

Horrible weather all week until yesterday: in the 40s, rain and 60mph winds. Melted most of the snow.

• Options
    We also had a big snow melt but I still can't see any green grass.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We had a pretty spectacular event a few days ago after an ice storm. When the sun
    finally came out a couple days later there was a spot where the sun angle was just
    perfect to light these and they looked like thousands of aluminum Chrismas trees.

I've seen similar things after the freezing fog we had twenty years back but the sun
    angle was different and that looked more like a crystal forest. In some ways it was
    even more spectacular.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭✭
    Sunset view of Vouliagmeni bay from our garden on Christmas day. The lights of the marina are already on in this southern suburb of Athens.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Ah Dimitri - that sure beats 4 feet of snow out my window - I have always wanted to visit the Greek Isles.
    A friend of mine,an artist, spends the winter in Greece every year and she just raves about the experience.
    Sigh....maybe one day.

Shep