Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1968 Ryan PSA 8

I am thinking of re-submitting my Ryan PSA 8 to see if its possible to get an 8.5. What new criteria would cover down on this? Is this smart or a stupid gamble?
1964 Topps Football

Comments

• Options
    Very Nice Ryan, I am not sure there is any criteria that has been set for the bump, but I have seen comments from Joe Orlando that to get the bump, the card needs to be just short of a PSA 9 actually. I have been looking for a solid Ryan PSA 8 for a while, If you want to sell that one, let me know.

Matt
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Based on the scan your 8 definitely looks 8.5 worthy. Can't tell about the corners though.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    Nice Card! I believe it could get an 8.5
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    What I have seen when submitting my 8's is the corners have to be dead on. The centering is easy to see and figure out but the corners are the .5.

Good luck
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    With apologies in advance to Blackie for piggy-backing on his thread, I have the exact same question about my Ryan rookie (Hi Matt!) and was interested in other's opinions on whether I should resubmit as well. I almost started another thread, but this seemed too convenient. image

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    In my opinion (for what's it worth) from the scans I think both of those cards could get a .5 bump.
    That being said, 68's are almost IMPOSSIBLE to grade from a scan.
    If they were my cards I'd get the loupe out and go over the edges, corners, and surface at least 10 times. If nothing negative catches your eyes,,,, send in those bad boys!
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! That second one is gorgeous, as is the first. I say send em in. What's the harm? Here's my 8 BTW:

Corners are dead on, but since I'm not looking to sell it, no sense in sending it in for a bump now.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    The second one looks like a 9!!! GO for it!
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blackie...

The centering is a little off top to bottom, otherwise a very nice 8. I'm not sure it would bump.

Bob...

Based on the scan of the front, I would try for the upgrade. It's a beauty...

Good luck...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I am drooling all over this thread, and I'm trying not to get it all over your cards. Good stuff!!

Blackie, I wouldn't chance cracking yours out, it does have a very slight top/bottom centering issue. Is there any way to get a larger scan? (by the way, welcome home, and thank you for your service!)

Bab, that one is insanely gorgeous, I would definitely crack that one.

I am, BY FAR, not a 1968 expert, but I do love the set. It's so hard for me to opinion-grade these do to those crazy borders.
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those cards are gorgeous! image
  • Options
    BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies. After looking at the second Ryan I think I will just leave mine in the 8 holder. I do agree that the second one is better centered. Again thank you much. I am still learning the new PSA gradings .5 system. I am a year behind on collecting due to deployment and have some catching up to do. Merry Christmas to all................

Blackie
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    You can't tell a thing about the 1968's without a scan of the back.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    What donato said is spot on. I don't think the first one would bump.

However with that said I'd still take a chance, I mean all you can lose is a lil dough and time.

Bobs looks really sweet.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭
    Very nice. I still think I will just keep the 8 an 8 and be happy with that. Thanks guys and Merry Christmas.
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    ebay:1967topps
    1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff
  • Options
    ebay:1967topps
    1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff