Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1978 Wiffle Ball Discs

I started this in another thread but thought I'd revisit this here.

The 1978 Whiffle Ball discs (the ones that came printed on the boxes) lists 88 cards in the set on those boxes.

There are five cards printed on each box. I've never seen any variations of groupings of five. So how can they get 88 cards divided by five?

Does anyone have complete boxes of these that would help solve the math?

Comments

• Options
    I just did a little search on these, i get 81 cards in the set, and some folks refer to a 76' set, as being one in the same.
  • Options
    There wew 81 in the 1977 set. Those were the die cut ones inserted into boxes.

The 1978 set is different and has 88 in the set.

They are dramatically different sets. Thats why I'm trying to confirm the checklist for 1978
  • Options
    can you show the scans of the backs and are the fronts the same?
  • Options
    I guess I could post scans but it's pretty easy to tell the two apart. One is a whole box of a wiffle ball and the others are just single discs like every other MSA disc except much smaller.

What I need to find out has to do with the full boxes. What cards are available there. If there are five per box and 88 in th eset then some cards either never existed or were single or double printed.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    If it lists the 88 cards then can't you tell that way? or am I misunderstanding you?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    According to various sites I got doing a google 81 cards are in that set.

1978 Wiffle

Email this guy with questions:

teamsets4u@aol.com

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

Okay..here's a photo of the complete box. It says on the box there are 88 cards in the set (in the star on the upper right corner of the black part). What you've googled is the 1977 set. I'm simply saying that everyone is wrong in what they've been posting on this set.

I e-mailed Bob Lemke two years ago about this with the correction and my evidence (using the simple method of team designations to prove the years) and he's got it right in the SCD book. Beckett still has it wrong.

So to clear up once and for all

The 1977 Wiffle Ball set has 81 cards. They were inserted loose in the boxes and are just like other MSA discs except smaller. I have that entire set and can confirm every card.

The 1978 Wiffle Ball set were actually printed on the boxes. There were five cards printed on each box. The box says there are 88 cards in the set. You can't get an even number of boxes of five to make up a set of 88. There are seven players I've already identified as being available in the 1978 set but not in 1977.
  • Options
    Now you are confusing me, I see only 1 card on the box you have shown not 5.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Dark

If you go to card pricer they have the checklist there.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options

There are actually five cards. One is on the bottom flap facing out. Two on the sides facing out and two on the sides facing in.

You are actually seeing the back of a card on that black panel.

I'm not familiar with cardpricer, but a checklist isn't what I need. I know who the 88 players are in the set. What I don't know is on what boxes they were on.

This is similiar with wanting to know what boxes the 1962 Post cards were on. There were different boxes with different cards. We know who the cards are, just not how they were distributed.
  • Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭
    Not perfect, but here you go....

• Options

You're right, it's not perfect because it's not what I'm looking for. That checklist came from me. I'm the one that created it for the book.

What the checklist doesn't show was how the cards were grouped together on the boxes.

Doesn't anybody understand the difference? I don't need a checklist in need pictures of complete boxes like the oine I posted..
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a box that has Vida Blue, Jorge Orta, John Montefusco, facing on the outside of the box and Pete Rose and Carlton Fisk facing inside the box. I will try and get a scan up in the next few minutes.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Here are two side by side scans of the 2 sides of the box mentioned above. You don't see the other 2 players as they are inside the box on the opposite side of the wiffle ball.

Donato
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

• Options
    Here is a photo of Pete Rose on the inside of the box.

Donato

• Options
    Darrk I understood your question from the beginning. To be honest I have no idea.

I would assume that they had many different variations because like you said 88 is not divisable by 5.

Maybe and this is just a thought the cards on the inside folds changed while the ones on the outside always stayed the same.

Again that is just a thought. Have you emailed Hornish? He is really into this stuff.

try him.

if you need his email pm me.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    I finally got a chance to scan my box. The two player that are facing the inside are, John Mayberry, and Aurelio Rodriquez.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Has anyone ever seen one of these boxes with a Nolan Ryan on the outside or on the insde of the box. If you have one I would be very interested in seeing a scan.

Thanks...Donato

• Options
    tacprctacprc Posts: 17 ✭✭
    darkhorse, Did you see divecchia's comment near the bottom of the "1981 MSA Disc Question" thread?
  • Options
    Hey, how are you?
    I just purchased a 1977 Wiffle Disc Box. "Or so I was told"
    Not sure if this is actually 1977.
    The discs read 1976.
    The box I purchased has Garland, Perez & Tanana on the outside.
    The inside has Rice & Hisle.
    Box also reads: 26 teams, 88 players.
    I collect Jim Rice cards. That is why I purshased this item.
    I want to find out excatly what year it is.
    I have the 1976 Wiffle Disc (Jim Rice).
    It reads 1976 on the disc as does the box i just purchased wich is supposed to be 1977.
    One difference I see here between the 2 Jim Rice discs:
    The 1976 wiffle disc (jim rice) has yellow borders.
    The one inside the box (jim rice) has pink borders.
    Please let me know what you think.
    Thanks
    Chris