Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Tim Mastin (erinstubby on the CU boards) has passed away.

I PM'd him the other day about a card I had for him and got a reply that he passed away last week Friday.

Comments

• Options
    That is horrible news. He was a passionate participant of the group rips. May he RIP.
  • Options
    That is sad news. How old of a guy was he? Anyone know how he died?

RIP, Mr. Mastin.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    huh? background would help?
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Sad to hear, may peace be with his family.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    IIRC he was in his 30s.

This was on an earlier post in May of 2007, he was selling cards for health reasons.

<< Tim

exactly what is your health issue?

Steve >>

STEVE,

I HAVE A SYNDROME CALLED GOODPASTURES. IT IS AN AUTO-IMMUNE DEFINCINCY IN WHICH ANTIBODIES ATTACK THE LINING OF MY KIDNEYS AND LUNGS. I HAVE TO GO 3 TIMES A WEEK TO DO PLASMAPHERICIOUS, WHICH FILTERS THE PLASMA IN THE BLOOD TO GET THE INFECTED PLASMA OUT OF MY BODY AND REPLENISH IT WITH GOOD PLASMA. I ALSO TAKE A HEALTHY DOES OF PREDNIZONE AS WELL AS ANTIBIOTICS IN WHICH THEY GAVE GIVE CANCER PATIENTS.. IT IS NOT A DEADLY DISEASE, BUT IT CAN BE UNLESS TREATED... I HAVE A SUPPORT GROUP FOR THIS AND THERE ARE PEOPLE IN THE GROUP WHO ARE THE TRANSPLANT LIST FOR KIDNEYS AND LUNGS. I GUESS I AM ONE OF THE LUCKY ONES THIS FAR. THEY DO BONE MARROW BIOPSY, LUNG BIOPSY AND KIDNEY BIOPSIES ON ME ONE A YEAR TO SEE HOW FAR THE SYNDROME HAS PROGRESSED.. THE WORST PART ABOUT IT IS IT IS A PAIN AND ANYONE WHO KNOWS WHAT IS LIKE TO HAVE A PORT IN THEIR CHEST AND A CHEST KNOWS IT IS NO FUN. I AM IN MY EARLY 30'S WITH A 2 YEAR OLD SON AND GOD BLESS HIM HE HAS BEEN TO MORE DR'S VISIT AND PROCEDURES THAN A NORMAL ADULT HAS BEEN THROUGH THEIR WHOLE LIFE...
    ON A LIGHTER NOTE, WHILE DOING ALL THEIR TESTING TO DIAGNOSE ME THEY FOUND OUT I HAVE FACTOR FIVE LEIDEN.. FACTOR FIVE LEIDEN CAUSES BLOOD CLOTS, WHICH I HAVE HAD MANY DVT'S AND PULMANARY EMBOLISM IN THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS. I TAKE COUMADIN FOR LIFE AND GET PERIODIC HEPARIN INJECTIONS IN STOMACH WHEN I AM NOT THERAPUDIC. THE BAD THING ABOUT MY SITUATION IS THAT I HAVE THE HOMOZEGOUS GENE NOT THE HETERZEGOUS WHICH MAKES ME 80 TO 100 PERCENT OF DEVELOPING BLOOD CLOTS AS OPPOSED TO 20%. I HAVE SINCE HAD A GREENFIELD FILTER PLACED IN MY VENA CAVA TO STOP BLOOD CLOTS FROM TRAVELLING FROM MY LEGS TO MY LUNGS.
    I STAY POSITIVE AND NOW LIVE MY LIFE FOR MY SON AND WIFE. EVERYDAY THAT GOES BY COULD BE YOUR LAST.
    TIM
  • Options
    Jim,

Thanks for the background. That is so sad, and way too young. God be with him, his son, and family.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    It's so hard to say just the right thing when hearing this kind of news. Tim's family, if you ever have occasion to read this, know that the thoughts and prayers of this board's members are with you. That may or may not lighten your grief, but it's there nonetheless.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    Regards to your friends ^ family Sir.

Every day could indeed b your last.

J
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    RIP Tim, we will always remember you!
  • Options
    Terrible news, and so young. image

RIP Tim.

• Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    I didn't have the fortune to know Tim, but I'm about the same age and have to thank God for my family and my health when I hear about tragedies like this.

God bless to Tim's family....

Scott
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Wow!! That is so sad!!
  • Options
    The news was rather shocking to hear but really gave me chills when I saw the message he posted before. I am also about the same age with young children so it also hit home with me.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    He was 34.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Tim,

May you rest in peace. When you read something like this it really puts life in perspective for most people. When my 3 year old daughter was diagnosed with Cancer almost 6 years ago and then my wife diagnosed with Cancer last year, you realize that if that card does not come back a "9" from PSA like you were hoping, it really is not the end of the world! Sure, we all want our cards to be graded high, but take away your health and even owning a PSA "10" '52 Mantle won't help! (Although it sure would make me smile lol).

Stay Healthy Everyone!

Doug
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    It's always shocking to lose one of our own. Very sad news indeed. Thoughts and prayers for Tim's family.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I googled and found this:

2006 story as follows

For those of you who do not know Erin and Tim’s story, let me tell you just a little about their traumatic past year…

Last November, Tim got very sick with what they thought was the flu. He was deathly sick for several months and underwent many tests, biopsies, etc. before he was finally diagnosed with a serious genetic blood disorder called Factor V Leiden. The condition is usually not that serious because people with it carry one gene and they are 10 to 20 percent more likely to develop blood clots. However, Tim has two genes and that makes him 80 to 100 percent more likely to develop blood clots. Tim has been unable to work and was let go from his job. Tim is facing many more surgeries and will need medication and treatment for his condition the rest of his life. He will most likely be unable to work ever again.

During all of this turmoil, Erin was completing dental hygienist schooling for her certification…while caring for their three young children – Michaela (9), Brianna (6) and Sean (1). Erin finished her schooling and was hired by contract for the VA in February and was looking forward to becoming a full-time employee there. However, in April, Erin was diagnosed with a brain tumor. The tumor was located behind her left ear, leaving her with permanent hearing loss. On July 7, 2006, the Meningioma brain tumor was removed. It was larger and more severe than originally thought. A small piece of the Meningioma still remains on her facial nerve, which in turn may require radiation therapy and further treatment.

The difficult times linger on… doctors recently performed surgery on Tim implanting stints to filter out the blood clots before they go to his heart. They are receiving no income and the medical bills are piling up. Fortunately, they did have some insurance coverage, but even with insurance, the out-of-pocket expenses for them are astronomical! With three children to provide for, this makes for very hard times – to say the least .

Erin and Tim are just happy to be alive and they have not asked for help from anyone. They are honest, loving, hard-working people who just can’t seem to get a break. But, to hear them tell it, they are fortunate because they have each other and their three children. They are so appreciative of the support and compassion they’ve received from everyone who knows them.

Let’s do our best to make this benefit a success and raise the funds needed to relieve some of the stress from their lives!

September 20, 2006

Update on Erin and Tim Mastin

In early August, Tim had the surgery for the stints and that went well. Hopefully, the stints (basket-type) will keep any blood clots from getting to his heart. He is doing as well as can be expected.

A couple of weeks ago Erin had surgery on her left eye due to the Bells Palsy on the left side of her face (it could be temporary or it could be permanent – they are just not sure at this point). The part of the tumor that they couldn’t get is laying on the facial nerve. Anyway, her left eye was drying out because she couldn’t keep it closed or blink it, so there was a concern that it would cause permanent damage to her cornea. They did a procedure where they put weights in her eyelid. She is adapting well and just yesterday she went back to work on a light-duty, part-time basis. They could only hold her job for so long and if she hadn’t gone back this week, she was going to lose her job. At least they are working with her on light-duty, etc. and seem to be pretty considerate of her limitations at this point.

I have to “knock on wood” when I say this… but, things are finally starting to look up for them. For a while there it was nothing but one bad thing after another, so this is a nice change. Erin knows that she is looking at a long recovery, but she has a very positive attitude and she is just glad to be alive. Tim’s illness is a life-long battle and they both know that he will never get much better than he is at this point, but they are making the best of it. Tim is determined to get back to work, but the doctors will not release him to do so. From what I understand, he will probably never work again – but, you can’t tell him that!

Thanks so much to everyone for their support and prayers! Erin and Tim are so grateful for everyone’s kindness.

Plans for the benefit dance on November 11th are still in the making –but, we are making progress. We’ve got the hall, food, drinks, music, etc. We’re working on donations for the raffles and auctions.
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    RIP image

condolences to family.
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Tragic. RIP.

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    that stinks, i just asked him where his cheerleader avatar went and why garfield a few weeks ago
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad indeed.

RIP
  • Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    My thoughts are with Tim and his family.
  • Options
    RIP
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    I'm totally crushed by this news. Tim was a really nice great and awesome contributor to this board. RIP.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I don't know what to say. It's just so sad. I hope his family has a close group of friends to lean on. It sounds like they've had more than their share of trials and sadness. I'll keep them in my prayers.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awful news. Prayers and condolences out to the family.
  • Options
    May he RIP.

I will take care of his SS item.
  • Options
    Very tough news.

He wanted to buy a very low-pop Ken Anderson card from me recently. Had I known of his condition, I'd have given it to the man. Seemed like a real nice guy.

Prayers sent.
    There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I was welling up reading that PM that he sent knowing what happened. Rest in peace, sir. Prayers for the family.
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    RIP

condolences to family and friends.

Hopefully he is ripping in heaven as we speak.

• Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    Very sad. image

RIP
  • Options
    If someone knows of a collection for the family please post the information.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear this Erin image

Thank you for the pm!

Matt
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    My prayers go out to the family. It is a shame that such a young family is left behind.
  • Options
    RIP

Lou
    Collecting Roberto Clemente and Willie Stargell cards.
  • Options

<< <i>If someone knows of a collection for the family please post the information. >>

I didn't know Tim, but always enjoyed his posts. He was far too young and will be missed. Erin, my thoughts and prayers are with you, your children and your entire family.

I would be happy to volunteer to organize a group donation. I have started a separate thread for donations.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If someone knows of a collection for the family please post the information. >>

I didn't know Tim, but always enjoyed his posts. He was far too young and will be missed. Erin, my thoughts and prayers are with you, your children and your entire family.

I would be happy to volunteer to organize a group donation. I was going to start a separate thread, but I don't think that is necessary. If you would like to participate, please PM me. >>

Gumbyfan:

I will make a $100.00 donation to get this started, Please PM where I need to send the funds.
  • Options

<< <i>

I would be happy to volunteer to organize a group donation. I was going to start a separate thread, but I don't think that is necessary. If you would like to participate, please PM me. >>

Sorry to have a change already, but after a couple suggestions, I have started a separate thread after all so that everyone can see it and participate if interested.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    ;-(################

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭
    May God give comfort to his family and our heart goes out to his family over this holiday season.
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    I hope Tim's family and friends can find strength to carry on...
  • Options
    KarbKarb Posts: 557 ✭✭✭
    May he RIP. Prayers go out to his young family
    Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Very sad news to read. I pray that our Lord brings Tim Mastin to everlasting life and that he is in the presence of our Lord. I especially pray for his late wife Erin, their precious kids, and to all of their family and friends that our Lord gives them all the strength to get through these hard days and the long tough road ahead.

Maybe later down the road, someone can find out if there was a special card or something that Tim was trying to purchase before his death . Then all of the members here can try and get a collection / donation going and send the something to Tim's kids.

Sincerely,
    Brian
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    How awful! I feel for his family, and will have them in my prayers. I am going to give my wife and kids an extra long hug tonight when I see them.
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Wow. I never knew Tim. But my heart, thoughts and prayers go out to him and his entire family.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Erin,

May God strengthen you at this very sad time with His blessings.

Though your heart aches in mourning, the good Lord will guide you through this devastation.

Losing a loved one, so young and so soon, is a true test of faith.

My sons and I offer our sincere condolences with thoughts and prayers.

God bless you and your son; and may Tim rest peacefully in the hands of God.

PoppaJ

• Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Very sorry to hear this

RIP Tim
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Tim was exactly my age so it really does hit home.

What his family had to suffer through was just too much to bear.... this is a very sad conclusion for someone that was determined to keep fighting.

Erin,

My thoughts go to you and your children.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Tough Read, I am so sorry to hear of Tim's Passing and equally concerned for his Wife and children. My you rest in peace Tim.