Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1981 MSA Disc Question

According to SCD Standard catalog 2008 these cards exist but I've never seen 1 and I'd like to see a scan of the back of 1 if you have them. They are identical (assume?) to the blank back/peter pan disc but have a MSA advertisement on the back. Are they real?

Comments

• Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely real. Many of the more obscure MSA listings in the Standard Catalog were compiled directly with the assistance of an MSA executive.
  • Options

Yet they still got the 1977/78 Wiffle Ball sets wrong. It's still wrong in the Beckett catalog

There were two different sets of wiffle ball discs. The one in 1977 was issued one per box inside the box (die cut)

The 1978 set was issued ON the boxes (five per box)

The checklists are different. The number of cards are different

I've finished the 1977 set but the 1978 set has proven tougher. The boxes say there are 88 cards in the set. With five cards per box the math doesn't fit.

That could only mean there are some short prints or double prints. I haven't found any boxes that have cards that are duplicated on other boxes so......any ideas?

• Options
    are there any differences in picture copyright date or back to differentiate the 2 years of wiffle ball or do you have to have full boxes?
  • Options
    Thanks for the picture also
  • Options
    tacprctacprc Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Does anyone know definitively in what year(s) Wiffle Ball distributed the junior size, regulation size, and softball size balls that have player portrait photos on the box tops? Thanks. Chuck
  • Options

The cards printed on the boxes (all sizes, junior, regulation and softball) were all printed in 1978.

The cards that were inserted into the boxes precut were issued in 1977.

These dates were easily confirmed by the team designations on a couple of players. For example you can find Larry Hisle with either Minnesota or Milwaukee as his team. Hisle played for the Twins in 1977 and the Brewers in 1978. So there you go. The same thing works for Dave Kingman (San Diego/Chicago), Jon Matlack (New York/Texas)Manny Sanguillen (Pittsburgh/Oakland), Bert Blyleven (Texas/Pittsburgh)

What I STILL have not confirmed is how they fit 88 cards onto boxes that contained five cards each. I've heard rumors of two card boxes that came with the bat/ball combo but still haven't confirmed that yet.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The cards printed on the boxes (all sizes, junior, regulation and softball) were all printed in 1978.

The cards that were inserted into the boxes precut were issued in 1977.

These dates were easily confirmed by the team designations on a couple of players. For example you can find Larry Hisle with either Minnesota or Milwaukee as his team. Hisle played for the Twins in 1977 and the Brewers in 1978. So there you go. The same thing works for Dave Kingman (San Diego/Chicago), Jon Matlack (New York/Texas)Manny Sanguillen (Pittsburgh/Oakland), Bert Blyleven (Texas/Pittsburgh)

What I STILL have not confirmed is how they fit 88 cards onto boxes that contained five cards each. I've heard rumors of two card boxes that came with the bat/ball combo but still haven't confirmed that yet. >>

Darkhorse9...

I'm at work right now, but when I get home tonight, in about 5 hours I will post a scan of the Nolan Ryan disc on the sleeve of the basket that holds the wiffle ball on top of the bat. It only has Nolan Ryan on it, no other player. I'm not sure what year it came out. I will check that also.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    If any one is interested I have a extra 1977 MSA wax cup lid (drink hole unpunched) of Brooks Robinson for sale-$30.00 delivered.
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Here's scan of the MSA disc and the Peter Pan disc. They also used the same disc for the On Deck Cookies version.
    Wish I could be more help with the Whiffle discs.

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Goodness, gracious..how is that On Deck Cookies card a Mint 9? Do they not look at the back of the cars?
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    I just sent in another one that has slightly better centering on the back. I was hoping for a Gem 10, but it came back an 8.
    Generous grader on the 9.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    I am asking about the boxes that look like the ones attached below, not the ones with discs. Thanks. Chuck
  • Options
    I am new to this forum. Is there a way to paste images directly into your messages? Thanks.
  • Options

<< <i>I've heard rumors of two card boxes that came with the bat/ball combo but still haven't confirmed that yet. >>

Darkhorse9...

There are 2 discs on the Wiffle bat/ball combo that are the same size and look the same as they do on the 1978 boxes. They have the thick black dotted lines around the discs also, just like on the boxes. The ones that come already cut and are found inside the box don't have the black dotted lines around the border.

So maybe you are correct and some of the discs come from the bat and ball set in combination with the 5 discs on the boxes to make a total of 88 different discs. For example if you have 12 different boxes that would make 60 different discs from the boxes and if you have 14 different combination of discs with the bat and ball that would make 28 different discs. Add them together and you would have 88.

I'm not sure what year the bat came out, but it has the same copyright date of 1976 as do all the discs from 1977 & 1978.

Donato
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

• Options

<< <i>I am asking about the boxes that look like the ones attached below, not the ones with discs. Thanks. Chuck >>

Sorry Chuck, I don't have any of those boxes on your scans, so I don't know much about them...

Donato

• Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    Hello Chuck, good to see you on the forum. I don't know the year of issue for the Whiffle Ball Jr. (black) boxes, but I do know I had in my Standard Catalog (unused) photo files the same box with a Thurman Munson picture, so that should narrow it down some.