Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Showcasing versus security (the museum conundrum)

Rare coins are beautiful, and the better a find is, the more we want to show it off. But, at the same time, we also want to safeguard our collections and avoid attracting undue attention. And, the better a coin is, the greater this problem becomes. Who wouldn't want to show off an ultra-high relief PR65 Saint Gaudens or an MS64 flowing hair dollar minted during the Washington Administration? But, to whom would you dare show coins worth more than your car? While I don't have that problem now, I could some day, and I'm open to thoughts about how to balance showcasing and security.

I know that the safety deposit box is the "gold standard" of security, providing off-site storage inside a vault guarded by professionals. The above examples pretty much would have to go there, so showcasing would have to be reserved for special occasions with trusted friends or security-staffed events. As long as one's paying the annual fee, the rest of the box space could hold other coins in the car price range. Scans or photos of these coins could serve not only as a proxy for showcasing, but also as useful documentation for insurance purposes.

At my level, I'm still getting into coins that are worth as much as a quad core desktop computer (but, unlike the tech gear will hold its value and appreciate long after the technology goes into the recycle bin when I upgrade to an eight core system). But, while a generic type Saint Gaudens, even at MS65, may not be anywhere near the rarity and value of the ultra-high relief proof dream coin mentioned earlier, it's still a target. I also have to be cautious about showing off coins to friends or family for another reason: not everyone can afford these coins. Coin collecting in general is a great social hobby, because just about anyone can do it at one level or another. On a shoestring budget, one can pull pennies from circulation and fill a Whitman folder; it's how many of us started as kids, and one can occasionally find some pretty remarkable gems. But, I am a bit reluctant to show off my budding gold collection to friends who are struggling to make a living; it seems too much like flaunting wealth and showing off. I'm not as worried about showing these coins to my in-laws who own five cars and an RV.

So, any thoughts about how to share the beauty of your collection without exposing yourself to risk? The PCGS Registry is one nice way to do it, because we're all enthusiasts, and we actively want to see those of you with the best ones brag and show off.
Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.

Comments