Options

GENUINE service changes

2»

Comments

• Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>Don:

Can we get Hobo nickels and "Potty Dollars" into Genuine holders? image >>

I would never speak for Don or Pcgs. But Dennis I don't see why not..

They just put a American Silver Eagle dollar in a holder with Mr.44th Presidents picture.image
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Due to popular demand we are making a couple changes to our Genuine program. In addition to the previous no grade codes we will now holder 'Holed & Plugged', and 'Rim Filed' coins. Since both of these impairments can be very difficult to recognize we will print the no grade reason on the front of the insert (only for these two no grades). We are also creating a new no grade code for 'Peeling Lamination'. These will not be holdered as we consider them to be active. Also, note that 'Holed' coins will be holdered as code 98 - damaged.

Here is a recap of our no grade codes, print status as well as holder status.

Code/ Description / Printed Description / Holder

82 Filed Rims / Yes / Yes
    83 Peeling Lamination / No / No
    84 Holed and Plugged / Yes / Yes
    90 Not Genuine / No / No
    91 Questionable Color / No / Yes
    92 Cleaned / No / Yes
    93 Planchet Flaw / No / Yes
    94 Altered Surface / No / Yes
    95 Scratch or Rim Nick / No / Yes
    97 Environmental Damage / No / Yes
    98 Damage or Tooling / No / Yes
    99 PVC Residue / No / No

btw - I've seen a few posts wondering what code 80 means. That was the code used for the old Genuine program. We are no longer holdering coins as code 80. >>

10-4 Good Buddy!!!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>IMHO...anyone who buys coins without educating themselves first (at least with some basic knowledge) is a fool. I was that fool once and blame no one but myself for the bad purchases I made. >>

In California if you sell a house without disclosing a known problem you're liable. Even though thorough inspections were done by experts who didn't find it. Disclosure is a good thing. Helping new collector's ease into the hobby without having to undergo painful lessons is a good thing.

To me, the most mysterious thing about all this is PCGS's decision to print in english, on the cert, some flaws but not others. I just don't see any reasonable downside.

I would love Don to share the logic. And I think a forum poll on this topic would be interesting too.

Lance. >>

Since Mr Henway decided to bring this back up...

Lance --- I humbly disagree with the Real Estate analogy... coins ARE NOT needed... they are luxuries... and it would behoove everyone who wishes to collect coins to educate themselves...

As a matter of fact... even with Real Estate Disclosure laws, a person who goes into home ownership without some basic knowledge, is in for some rude awakenings down the road...

I tried to sarcastically portray the extremes we could take the "full disclosure" with coins... and no label could hold all the info that might apply to the coin and it's history (ie ... dropped in puddle in 1893 and wiped with a cloth... graded and regraded 5 different times and was given a different grade on each submission image ... get the picture?)
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    Anybody know what "Did not Cross" code #85 is?

Thanks!

Shouldnt we get some comment for coins that dont cross.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭✭✭
    85 just means that they didn't like it for the crossover grade. FWIW, I've had coins come back as "85" and were resubmitted with a lowered minimum grade. Sometimes they come back with the higher grade anyway. In one case, an NGC PR66 MPL DNC'd with "85". I resubmitted it with PR65 as the min grade and it came back 66 anyway. I later included it in a Secure Plus regrade group. It came back 66+ image
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somebody just PM's me asking why a coin with the #93 code, planchet flaw, would not be gradable. I have no idea. Can't error coins be graded?
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file