Options

how will the feds rate cut today, if they do it, effect pm's

guess we will see in a few minutes.
NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac

Comments

• Options
    low interest rates are generally good for the precious metals because:

1. low rates make financing cheaper

2. low rates cut the value of the dollar, and with gold priced in dollars the price of gold rises

3. low rates can boost the economy, increasing demand for gold, silver and especially platinum (as in car sales)

by the way, this question: is silver used to make CDs and DVDs ??? I heard somewhere that there is a thin coating of silver on CDs and DVDs. true or false? thanks
  • Options

<< <i>by the way, this question: is silver used to make CDs and DVDs ??? I heard somewhere that there is a thin coating of silver on CDs and DVDs. true or false? thanks >>

Yes, some use a silver oxide and the more expensive ones use an alloy of silver and gold in an oxide as a coating. The thicker the better as far as the recording medium.

The reflective layer on a CD/DVD disc is pretty thin, on the order of 50-100 nanometers. That's thinner than a wavelength of light. If you laid 10,000 of these layers on top of each other, you'd have less than a millimeter thick layer of gold or silver oxide.

Kodak Ultima uses a 24K gold coating, again at the 100 nanometer thickness. That's as thick as any disk in use.

It's applied with a process known as vacuum misting.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff