Home Metal Detecting
Options

Garrett Ace 250 - what is the sniper coil for?

I just bought a used Garrett Ace 250 off of eBay. This is my first detector, and I haven't even taken delivery yet. I bought this used one because it came with a Sun Ray probe and an extra sniper coil.

I've seen enough youtube videos to understand the value of the probe. What is the advantage of the sniper coil?

Comments

• Options
    Bayard,

First of all, Welcome to the metal detecting forum. It's been very quite around here lately but we have a great group of folks here with lots of knowledge on MANY different machines. With winter fast approaching, the boards should pick up some with folks on here.

Now to the Ace 250. I have this machine. It was the first one I got and I loved it. Within the first month, I decided that I wanted something with more bells and whistles--I went next to the Garrett GTI 2500. I still have both machines but mainly use the 2500. You will find that the 250 is a lightweight, big time performer that will hold it's own with many detectors worth much more. While I don't have the sniper coil with the 250, I do have a sniper for the 2500. It is a super sensitive detector that lets you find the "goodies" in the midst of trashy areas. Think of it like this--if you have a good target laying within a couple of inches of some nearby trash, the larger coils will have a harder time locating that target. It's not impossible but it can be VERY VERY difficult. The smaller coil will separate the targets MUCH easier and make them easier to locate. I used a sniper coil over a small area that I thought I had covered VERY well with my 9.5 inch coil and was amazed that I was able to pull coins from that area. I'm not talking about a few coins, I would say that I found 20 coins or so (mostly zincolns) in an area approximately 30 feet by 10 feet. Needless to say, I was amazed at the amount of coins found.

I truly believe in the sniper coil and would recommend them to anyone and everyone.

Once again, welcome and we are ready to see your finds.

Scott
    Speer34

imageimageimage