Home Sports Talk
Options

Phillies re-sign Moyer for 2 more years

bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
I'm not a Phillies fan, but I thought it was cool to see the Sillies sign him to a 2 year deal at 46 years old.

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's good news for the Phillies, and bad news for the rest of the NL.

Phillies making all the right moves and doing everything necessary in order to repeat.

All the sportsfans here should feel blessed, that they can one day tell their grandchildren that they witnessed the beginning of the great Philadelphia Phillies dynasty in major league baseball.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One World Series title does not a dyansty make.

Sincerely,

The 1986 Mets

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Thought for sure he would retire. He is the only player who has a 1987 rookie card still playing.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options

<< <i>One World Series title does not a dyansty make.

Sincerely,

The 1986 Mets >>

You're right of course...and believe me, I fully realize and understand that everything basically went right for the Phillies in 2008. It was just one of those seasons where everything clicked...very few injuries, a relief pitcher who threw out of his mind, and some great clutch hitting. Also getting an inexperienced team to face in the World Series was a big plus - Might have been a different result against Boston...we'll never know.

I'm looking forward to 2009 baseball. Your Mets will of course certainly be tough and right up there in the race again...might finally be their year where everything clicks.

• Options
    save the money
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Rays sure couldn't hit em
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Two more years?

Wow that's great news! That means he'll only be 87 when he retires.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    He was 16-7 last year with an ERA more than half a run lower than the league average. Not sure why anyone is surprised by this. The next time he's under .500 for a season of above the league average ERA, he should consider retirement.

Plus, the NL as a whole is weaker than the AL. He should still be able to win 12-15 games on a good team that hits for him in that league.
  • Options

<< <i>Two more years?

Wow that's great news! That means he'll only be 87 when he retires. >>

Which would still make him younger than Grote15.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not sure why anyone is surprised by this. >>

I'm only surprised it was a 2 year deal instead of a 1 yr and an option year. Because Moyer will be playing a year older next season at 46 and then 47 the next season and things can change really quick at his age. I wish him the best because I think it's great seeing someone playing at his age.
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    I didn't realize he had 246 career wins. Impressive considering he had quite a few "lost seasons" early in his career.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options

<< <i>Plus, the NL as a whole is weaker than the AL. . >>

Rings since 2000

AL: 4
    NL 4

Please change your tune.

Sincerely,
    Managment
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Two more years?

Wow that's great news! That means he'll only be 87 when he retires. >>

Which would still make him younger than Grote15. >>

lol image
  • Options

<< <i>

Rings since 2000

NL 4

Please change your tune.

Sincerely,
    Managment >>

Can't argue with that, Junior Circuit fans!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Rings since 2000

NL 4

Please change your tune.

Sincerely,
    Managment >>

Can't argue with that, Junior Circuit fans! >>

I certainly can argue that. Having 1-2 good teams does not a League make.

The Phills were a great team, but they beat the LA Dodgers in the NLCS. I think any AL Playoff team would sweep that Dodger team or any other NL playoff team easily. Also, look at a guy like CC Sabathia, who was a mediocre to good starter in the AL - and he becomes a world beater in the NL. Same thing with Manny - slipping in the AL and becomes a behemoth in the NL.

World Series wins are a decent stat, but they don't even come close to telling the whole story.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Rings since 2000

NL 4

Please change your tune.

Sincerely,
    Managment >>

I certainly can argue that. Having 1-2 good teams does not a League make.

The Phills were a great team, but they beat the LA Dodgers in the NLCS. I think any AL Playoff team would sweep that Dodger team or any other NL playoff team easily. Also, look at a guy like CC Sabathia, who was a mediocre to good starter in the AL - and he becomes a world beater in the NL. Same thing with Manny - slipping in the AL and becomes a behemoth in the NL.

World Series wins are a decent stat, but they don't even come close to telling the whole story. >>

Sorta reminds me of the fan whose team gets more hits in a game, but scores fewer runs and loses the game, but still claims his team was the better team. Well, the bottom line to which team is best that day is about winning the game, and the bottom line as to which league is best that year is about winning the World Series. You can quote all the regular season stats you want, I don't care how many times the American League teams beat the National League teams, I don't care what the regular season stats are - the bottom line is the Phillies won the World Series championship representing the National League and that's that. Case closed.
  • Options
    Yeah, but lets look at the Rays....Red Sox and Yankee killers! They were the best team in the "loaded" AL YET they didn't even get to game 6 against the
    Phillies! Maybe your league isn't all that, even your loaded All Star team needed what 30 innings to beat the NL?

Admit that money doens't buy you rings and move on. NL is for real!

JS
  • Options
    I hate making statements like this, because there can obviously be no empirical data to back it up, but I have to say that I think the Phillies would have finished 3rd at best and possibly 4th in the American League East last season. Yes, they beat Tampa in a short series, but 162 games is another story. Don't get me wrong, I like Philadelphia and the Phillies and I'm quite happy for them, but Tampa won 97 games in a division where they had to play the Red Sox (95 wins), Yankees (89 wins) and Blue Jays (86 wins) 19 times each. That's 35% of their schedule against excellent teams. You can't tell me that PHI winning the NL east playing a pretty good Mets team, a mediocre Marlins team and horrible Atlanta and Washington is even close to playing teams like BOS/NYY 19 times each.

Hey, the 84 win Cardinals won the WS in 2006. I can tell you for certain that over a 162 game season, the best teams win the most games. Over a 7 game series, a lot can happen. World Series wins are championships and should be treated as such, but the teams that have the best seasons do not always win championships. I'll take the regular season's 162 game sampling size as proof of which is the best league, not one seven game series per year.
  • Options

<< <i>I hate making statements like this, because there can obviously be no empirical data to back it up, but I have to say that I think the Phillies would have finished 3rd at best and possibly 4th in the American League East last season. Yes, they beat Tampa in a short series, but 162 games is another story. Don't get me wrong, I like Philadelphia and the Phillies and I'm quite happy for them, but Tampa won 97 games in a division where they had to play the Red Sox (95 wins), Yankees (89 wins) and Blue Jays (86 wins) 19 times each. That's 35% of their schedule against excellent teams. You can't tell me that PHI winning the NL east playing a pretty good Mets team, a mediocre Marlins team and horrible Atlanta and Washington is even close to playing teams like BOS/NYY 19 times each.

Hey, the 84 win Cardinals won the WS in 2006. I can tell you for certain that over a 162 game season, the best teams win the most games. Over a 7 game series, a lot can happen. World Series wins are championships and should be treated as such, but the teams that have the best seasons do not always win championships. I'll take the regular season's 162 game sampling size as proof of which is the best league, not one seven game series per year. >>

That's fine and we all clearly understood your point even before your last post - You can have your "mythical" best league championship...be my guest and congratulations.

I'll take the World Series win.

• Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    After today, Moyer has 249 career wins; so he could easily finish the season with 260 wins. He's signed through next year, so 270-275 career wins is a distinct possibility at the end of the 2010 season. Does he want to come back? Should he come back? Who knows. But the day he retires, I'll be sad.

/s/ JackWESQ

P.S. For Moyer, 1989, 1990 and 1991 ... 6 total wins ... oh, what could have been.
  • Options
    Hall of Famer when all is said and done!

BAM
  • Options

<< <i>Hall of Famer when all is said and done! >>

Shirley you can't be cereal?
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Jamie Moyer and the Hall of Fame? At first blush, you think "NO WAY." But what happens if he retires with 260 wins? 270 wins? 280 wins or more? Was he ever truly dominant? Well no. But in this era (or ANY era), there is no way on earth you can fluke your way to that many wins. NO WAY.

/s/ JackWESQ

P.S. That said, he still won't get in. But we can all dream.

P.S.S. I just heard Jim Rome interview Jamie Moyer and he asked him about 300 wins. Moyer responded that he can't think and/or look that far into the future. At his age, Moyer said that he is taking it one year at a time. That said, Moyer did say that if you asked him a couple of years ago about 200 or 250 wins, he thought it would not be possible. But look at him now. So you never know.
  • Options
    Helps when you have muderers row hitting for you!

Is there anyone here that thinks 50 HR's is more impressive than 20 wins?

Kevin
  • Options
    Even with 300 wins, Moyer is no HOFer...'nuff said.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I'd also be very surprised if he reaches 275 wins at this point in his career. And there are a lot of "very good" pitchers with a lifetime win total of between 250-199 that are not in the HOF, just like there are alot of hitters with between 2,500-2,999 hits who aren't in the HOF either.

If you put Moyer in the HOF, you got to put Wells in, too...where does the madness end? The HOF is watered down enough withoit putting in a guy who finished no better than 6th in ERA in any single season in his career.

Win total is probably one of the most misleading stats when it comes to evaluating a pitcher's talent. ERA and WHIP tell a much more accurate story..

• Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Good career yes...Hall of Fame no
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>

<< <i>

Rings since 2000

NL 4

Please change your tune.

Sincerely,
    Managment >>

I don't really want to argue this, because it's a valid point. But if I was going to argue I might start with the All-Star game and the fact that the American League has won every single year since 1997. (Well, except for the year they tied.)
  • Options
    Moyer at least was clean and not using Canseco milkshakes, however somewhere Bert Blyleven is saying WHAT THE heck....
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭

<< <i>Good career yes...Hall of Fame no >>

If he gets 300 wins

Automatic HOF?