Home Stamps Forum

Old Stamp Collection - How do I Start Learning?

This is a first time post to the Stamp Forum because most of my time is spent in the Coin Forum. My uncle gave me a stamp collection to see if I could sell, or learn something about. It seems to be a fairly old collection with the stamps ranging from late 1800’s to early 1900’s. The book has a stamped logo indicating publishing in 1893.

There are stamps from all over the world, about 30 pictures in all. I’m going to post the photos…lots of them. I’m seeking a little advice on how to start cataloging and valuing the stamps. I do have a coin collection and have coin books, but nothing on stamps…where do I start?

Any help would be appreciated (sorry for all the pictures).

78750Aggie

Aggie

Comments

• you can probably look up the majority of these in the several country volumes that are produced by Scott. There is likely a set in the reference section of your local library, they may have some older ones you can actually check out. You're in for a lot of work looking all these up, there might be a few with some value. Hopefully the mint stamps aren't all stuck down.
  • Well, if you want to sell it, just list on ebay with pictures of each page and start price around $10 - it will bring what it is worth (maybe $100 or so).

All the stamps are very common and it appears that the group was probably put together around 1920's and 30's. All stamps probably removed from mail or purchased in 10c packets at the time. Like coins of that era saved by tourists, no value really.

If you wish to start collecting, pick a country and then you can start anew. Depending on the country you choose, someone can provide good suggestions. Tackling the world is not a viable idea.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Richard, aren't you working on a reference book for a Central American country?
  • In September my book was published by the Collectors Club of New York: "The Postal History of Costa Rica to 1883."
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com