Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Why does it take PCGS so long to enter prices into the Registry?

Couldn't they at least start off the prices for moderns with their US Mint issue price and note it as such until they can update their database with "actual" prices?

Comments

• Options
    Since their prices bear no relevance, I'm not sure why you care image

PCGS prices are a really poor method of valuing things. I've never found a coin that was anywhere close. PCGS is either way too high (most of the time) or way to low (especially for varieties).
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would at least think the coin was worth what it cost to get it into plastic image

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Two observations:
    1. The PCGS price guide is a GUIDE of pricing VALUES at RETAIL. (ie) What dealers sell PCGS graded coins to collectors at. It is NOT a wholesale guide. As such, if you own a coin you may want to sell in the future or if you just want to see "what YOUR coin is worth" you will probably be happy with the values shown. If you actually sell your coin and you hope to get the PCGS listed price from your dealer you will probably be unhappy with the values shown.
    2. I don't understand why people like the OP keep wanting PCGS to do things more quickly instead of realizing that the PCGS pricing guide is probably the most extensive and most up to date FREE guide in the hobby for fairly valuing PCGS slabbed coins in the specific grades shown. IMHO, they get better with this every year.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are correct Steve. However, one point as to why some prices take so long to list. The coin must show a sale at an auction or reported by one of the dealers that are sought for input. I have 10 coins with no value, 8 are varieties mostly pop 1 and the other 2 are 2008 cents. The 2008 will be listed soon especially since they will be recognized in the sets in the next couple of weeks, the others will be awhile.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.