Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1957 Frank Robinson 8.5 (Memory Lane Auction)

From Memory Lane Auction. Whatcha think?

Comments

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone paid for the number on the holder. I would expect an 8OC if I submitted that card.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    52/48 LR, 39/61 TB

Beautiful card!! Incredible color, nicely registered, no print dots, sharp corners. Is that your card?
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I'm with Bob -- beautiful card. slight tilt does not bother me, and I did not notice the t/b centering the first few times I looked. Strong colors and apparently great color
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Nice card. Wish it were mine. -------------- $ ?
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Sweet looking card. The .5 bump was probably for the color and the snow white borders. A 51 year old piece of cardboard seeimgly untouched by the passage of time is a thing of beauty!
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    1) It is (now) mine.

2) I'm not sure if I overpaid for it, but probably did. Anytime you win an auction like this you are, by definition, the craziest bidder in the lot. No one wins by bidding the average price.

3) I have been looking for a Frank Robinson with great color and clarity like this for years.

The centering/tilt issues are minor, but there, and I would rather have bought this in an 8 holder. If it had been, I think I still would have gone for it.

Just had to share with people who would understand the risks, joys, and foolishness of it.
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    There is no way that is 52/48 LR centering. The bottom L/R is the largest margin with the card having a slight tilt, so what is the L/R at that point? I wouldn't have bid due to centering and the .5 hype, but if you are happy with the card thats all that matters.

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Nice pick-up. The surface and colour are great for a Robinson.
  • Options
    Very Nice card, Is there a little dent on the lower right corner?
  • Options
    Nice card! Hard to find with clean registration like that. Are you working on the '57 set or just collecting HOF rookies?
    Keith
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭✭
    That is one nice card!!!
    The color, corners, and white borders are blazing !!!!
    It's one of the hardest 57's to find in 8 and above. Most 8's are not all that nice...and premium examples go for top bucks.
    I have no problem with the grade. Slight oc but not worthy of a qualifier.
    Congrats on a nice pu
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    At $1,380 , I don't feel you overpaid. Actually nice price.

Congrats on the pickup.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice pickup. The color and white borders are fantastic. Corners look great too. Since we're showing off recent Frank Robinson purchases, here's mine image:

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Nice speciman!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Your paying for the pristing nature of that card and its wonderful registration and color. You have to remember that most people only care about centering and they would rather have dull, no color, off focus, cards with corner dings over pristine off center cards.

To me it would have been better in a 8 holder but it "looks" better than most 8s san centering.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    This may be heresy but I would actually prefer shagrotn77's 8 to the 8.5. The centering is well nigh perfect which is the usual defect with that card and ... well ... it LOOKS more like a 1957 card. The 8.5 looks a bit TOO good in its color, a bit synthetic.

Easy for me to talk ... I'll never own either image

Jonathan
    Baseball HOF Autographs
    Topps Baseball 1967
    Mike Payne's 300 Great Cards
    MVPs in their MVP years
    and T206???
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭✭
    I respectfully dissagree with mr mongroth...many people would pay a premium for a high end card. Andy...yours is a screamer also.
    But then we know your eye is one of the very best and most of your collection is high end.

I would show you all my 57 F Robinson..but I don't have one. Yes I'm jealous.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets