Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Buffalo hunters: Great week for weak legs, Part 1

A month or so ago, I purchased a raw 1936-d buffalo nickel on eBay based on the image below. It was a rather flat image and the buffalo was half a leg short, so I bought it instantly. I was thrilled when the coin arrived and it had great luster (contrary to the image) and I was ecstatic when I saw the leg really wasn't there! Today, the coin came back from PCGS in an AU58 3-1/2 Legs holder! That makes it pop 1/1! And the latest addition to my Buffalo herd, Coolkarma's Full Buffalo set.

My legs are still weak image

Richard

P.S., I agree with the grade. eBay image:

Edited to add New Images:
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool. Even better is actually getting something good from eBay.image
  • Options
    Thanks Bob. I've had some good finds (this is by far the best, dollar-wise) and some serious duds from eBay. Lately I've decided that for eBay (and for any source of raw coins) it is best to search for errors unattributed by the seller. The grade isn't as important and sometimes you get lucky image And the thrill is awesome!

Richard

P.S., your post led me to check out your proof buffalos. Those are amazing!!!!
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    as much as i've wondered about 3-1/2 legs...i wonder no more...cool buff there coolimage...congrats too
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    Coolkarma-

Looks like you did something right and it came around - congratulations!

Duane Blake
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Richard-

I heard about it but this is the first time I've seen it. What a cherrypick!!!!

Ron
  • Options
    I'm super pleased with my VF 35 example in my Registry Set; however, YOUR coin is spectacular! What a difficult coin to locate unattributed and at such a high grade. You deserve a "you suck" award for your excellent find!

Congratulations.
    Garrow
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a great find -- congratulations.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    Wow, great work! Sometimes a risk is worth taking.
  • Options
    Wow! Thanks Ron for resurrecting this thread from a year ago. It's still one of my favorite coins.

Thanks Garrow for the "you suck". You have a tremendous Buffalo nickel set. Perhaps you should consider adding the "complete variety" set to your goals image

And thanks to Breakdown and EdDcuni and a belated thanks to Duane and LasVegasEddy - your congrats are appreciated.

Finding the 1936-d 3 1/2 Leg had the unintended consequence of leading me to search for more abraded die errors, both 3 1/2 legs and 2 feather nickels (and Ron Pope's (aka Koynekwest's) Abraded Die Varieties book), and then searching for an even wider range of buffalo varieties. I have found several "pop top" buffalo varieties unattributed. They are out there! My PCGS Buffalo Nickel Complete Variety set is here.

Enjoy!

Richard
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    you inspired me to look as to you had a heck of a score

my snipe bid on the following didn't win but not even sure if it is with fuzzy pic
  • Options
    coolkarmacoolkarma Posts: 512 ✭✭
    I was watching that one too, Sinin1 image However, I decided that the mint mark did not quite look right and that too much of the leg was visible in the fuzzy picture. Of course, I don't know, but I think not winning was a good thing in this case. On the other hand, clearly several people thought it had a chance of being a 3 1/2 leg.

When I won my 1936d 3HL, I was the only bidder!

Enjoy!
  • Options
    I am not sure if several people thought it had a chance as only 3 bids were recorded, 2 of mine and the winners -- kind of makes you think the seller would scratch their head when packaging that one

I did get an unattributed 1918/7-D a few months ago from a big seller in a 2 coin lot and was worried they would notice before it was sent, but I got it
  • Options
    The buffalo in the 2x2 is not a 36-D 3 1/2 leg. You are right when looking at the mint mark. The genuine article has a D tilting to the left and near the E in FIVE.

I agree. Keep looking since there are many buffalo varieties out there to be picked.
    Garrow
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My god, what a difference in images. Looks like completely different coins. So much more detail in your pictures. Congratulations! What an excellent score.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    Looking closer now, I do believe the auction photo is of a different coin (not as nice) than the one received.

Again, what a great find!
    Garrow
  • Options
    Garrow:

<< <i>Looking closer now, I do believe the auction photo is of a different coin (not as nice) than the one received.
    >>

Would you elaborate? My image is a bit overexposed (not on purpose) and probably had a faster shutter speed which gives it the bright spots and a greater sense of depth. The actual coin is a little "flatter" than my image.

Enjoy!

Richard
  • Options
    On the auction image are markers I do not see on your coin:

Toning lines below the bison's chin...

Tiny rim pit above the bison's head...

Lack of rim definition at the tail...

and overall lack of sharpness contrary to your coin's image.

However, I can't imagine the chances of the seller substituting the image of one 3 1/2 leg coin for another he didn't know he had...
    It's probably all in the photography.

Again, I am just amazed at the quality of your coin. Congratulations!
    Garrow

• Options
    looks the same to me

nick on left knee
    nick below tail switch
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

I'm with Yellowjacket on this one about the pics. I can't find any markers that match up. Must be my weak eyes, but I would have never guessed by those two different images that it would be the same coin.

Awesome score coolkarma.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    The mark on the foreleg does seem to match. Let this be a lesson to all about how images can be so inaccurate and deceiving. (Although the image was clear enough for the buyer to notice the die variety!)

Garrow
  • Options
    this a shocker, but I looked at 1 of mine (regular 1936)

and see the same nick on the left knee - is it part of the design?

I still feel the same coin - but photography shows luster and detail better
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pickup...image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)