Home Stamps Forum
Options

My latest purchase.

rec78rec78 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
Link

Comments welcomed! Thanks,Bob.image

Edited to add- I am not a stamp or cover collector usually. This one just interested me. Did i pay too much for it? Thanks, Bob

Comments

• Options
    Bob,

You got what you paid for. Stamp has severe damage at side so that destroys any stamp value. The stamp isn't tied (although genuine) which hurts value to many postal history collectors.

Besides, you are asking the wrong question. I highly recommend buying nice quality and paying an appropriate price. A nice blackjack, properly used and tied, can be had for $35 or so. Why settle for bargains?

A nice example is being offered for $20 by someone on my site here:

http://www.philamercury.com/covers.php?id=9413
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    Wow this forum is dead!
    Rich-- thanks for the advice, but i did not purchase this for the stamp. I am not a stamp collector-i had to look up what "tied" meant. i was just trying to see if it was worth anything.
    I bought it for the Joseph J. Mickley signature. 927 market street- philadelphia, is where he lived.
    You are right i did settle for a bargain----Thanks. Bobimage
  • Options
    Bob - Congrats! Like many good postal historians, you saw an aspect to that cover that you correctly valued and nobody else saw. With postal history there are many more levels of discovery available than with stamps or coins.

From my "Paying The Postage" exhibit I sought out covers with stamp/coin connecting addresses and found the cover below:

Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    I like the January 1, 1867 cancel. It was a Tuesday and just another work day for postal employees but still a nice strike.
  • Options
    Who was Joseph J. Mickley? When you say "signature" do you mean he self addressed this cover?

Matt
  • Options
    rec78- Love the pic of the cat looking through the glass door, probably thinking ,"lunch!"
  • Options
    i]Who was Joseph J. Mickley? When you say "signature" do you mean he self addressed this cover?.

Joseph J. Mickley (1799-1878) is considered one of the fathers of coin collecting in this country.(I am a coin collector-He is also a great-great-great uncle of mine-thus-I collect Mickley items in addition to coins) His coin collection was large and wide ranging. He also collected autographs and many other things. He was also a piano maker and a decendant of John Jacob Mickley(the guy that brought the liberty bell to Allenown,Pa. to hide it from the British).
    His residence (927 Market st-Philadelphia was across the street from the PO.), so i imagine he went there on new years day and got the cancellation. Yes i think it is a self-addressed cover.

rec78- Love the pic of the cat looking through the glass door, probably thinking ,"lunch!"
    Actually he is saying "o you guys again!-- The pea-ocks are a neighbors, but sometimes they get out and come to my back door. Bob
  • Options
    Cool and very interesting. Thanks for the education!

Matt
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    that's awesome! a great find!
  • Options

Well, in that case, for you it really WAS a find. Sometimes we are too quick to judge a piece based on our own preception of it's worth, where to someone else it might have far more worth for another reasonimage