Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Did Topps sell sheets?

I always thought they were only available thru the backdoor?

imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I've never seen that, but very cool. I had a bunch of early '90s Topps uncut sheets as a kid, but I don't know where they are now and I don't know how I got them.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    WOW ~~~~~ that is really cool --- they were never in my candy store
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I bought some sheets in the mid 80's from local stores (not card stores). IF I remember correctly, they were individually wrapped in a plastic (might be cellophane), so yep, Topps did sell sheets directly. I just don't remember what years.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭
    they realized there was a market for them, so they responded
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. I learn something new everyday.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    1986-1990 I used to get sheets through my fathers hardware store. If you bought a case of Bazooka gum pieces, you got a free uncut set.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I bought a full set of uncut '07 Heritage sheets from them. I've seen A & G sheets as well, and bought some '71 Topps uncut sheets from them about 5 years ago.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    My friend's dad owned a cutting/packaging/distribution facility. He used to get uncut sheets from Topps, cut them, and package the "team sets" blister packs (not marketed under the Topps name) you'd see at ToysRUs or Kaybee. He used to give me a few each year.
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    I believe Topps had a contest for 1971 baseball 1st series sheets and you could also get a uncut sheet of the team cards for many of the mid 70's sets thru mail in specials that were advertised on the wrappers.

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭
    As early as 1982 I bought a couple from Toy R Us. They were in a box like the one posted above, top cut off, and left in the aisle for display. I think that they were about $6 then IIRC. In 1984 OPC had contest cards in their hockey and one of the prizes was the 3 sheets that made the set. There were many winners, not just a handful.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I remember what game used said above .

I think I had 1981

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    i bought a sheet once in college,
    but it was not cardboard.

+1 losing your mind

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    I have a nice 1979 uncut sheet with an Ozzie rookie(sorry no picture) I paid $50 for it about 10 years ago. I just got it framed cost me $175. It is one of my favorite pieces. It has all of the cutter marks and has double prints of Reggie Jax etc. Several cards this year were double printed.
  • Options
    DELETED
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As soon as someone purchases those Montana and ripkens cards more 10s will appear I promise you. I blame this all on beckett for grading cards that have just recently been cut off sheets with laser technology. Im happy to know that PSA dont grade recently cut cards or if they do they should put a qualifier stating recently cut from sheet. >>

Which is exactly why Beckett isn't considered a legit 3rd party grading company by most.
    I collect sheets as exactly that- uncut sheets. I have no intention of cutting them up, and would think that there are many others that feel the same. Don't condemn legitimate collectors just because one 2nd rate grading company won't look at the edges of the cards they are being paid to grade.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    DELETED
  • Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Bought mine at Albertson's, of all places, in 1985. Sold them awhile back.
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dont you people understand what these uncut sheets are doing to the hobby.

Let me start off by saying that every populated BGS Pristine you see come to market.. EXAMPLES: MARINO ROOKIES 40 something pristines. The Elway rookie nothing they can do even though its on a sheet, because of its snow flaked surface. Ken Griffey jr topps traded all the 10s u see are from sheets. The topps traded Ripken you see on ebay for 28k is also from an uncut sheet. The Montana pristine on ebay 100k from uncut sheet. All these have been just recently cut off sheets with an laser cutting machine not the old fashioned blades topps used.

As soon as someone purchases those Montana and ripkens cards more 10s will appear I promise you. I blame this all on beckett for grading cards that have just recently been cut off sheets with laser technology. Im happy to know that PSA dont grade recently cut cards or if they do they should put a qualifier stating recently cut from sheet. >>

I agree on the 84's but just b/c a card receives a ten doesn't mean it's sheet cut. You can always have the situation where a BGS 10 was possibly a PSA 10 crackout since the difference between a 9.5 and a 10 is very small.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.