Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The pop-up ad for the 1970s Set Registry Special

Anyone else notice all the cards on the ad are 72T?

Sorry. . .couldn't help it image

Mike
So full of action, my name should be a verb.

Comments

• Options
    Gee Mike - Does that mean that if they do a pop-up for 80's cards they will use something compareable on the ad? Like maybe 88 Donruss! Sorry Mike, 72's are ok by me. Rick
    "I CAN'T COMPLAIN BUT SOMETIMES I STILL DO" - SMOKY JOE WALSH - - -
    Always looking for 53 Topps Baseball and "stuff"
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Ouch Rick...

Please... someone pull this thing out of my back!?!?!image
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    It's a conspiracy, I tell you.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    i noticed the same thing. I was thinking of sending off a batch any day now.
    Ref- gameusedmaniac, Iverson3Ball, penguin, iverson4eva, playmaker84, teletubbie, ilya, JRCCRUM

I collect mostly vintage basketball. I am about 30% done on 61' Fleer and 85% on 72-73 Topps.
  • Options
    Just a heads up...

PSA seems lightning fast at the moment. If you've been thinking of sending anything in, now might be the time. Last invoice shows 5 days from arrival to departure...image
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Frank - How many did you submit? I just submitted about 450 and hope for a quick turnaround time.

By the way, how did you make out with the grades?
    Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint
  • Options
    John,

Only submitted 100 from 72 and grades weren't too bad. Got 8 or 9 PSA 9's, 70 PSA 8's and 19 or 20 PSA 7's.

What year or years did you send in?
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    I noticed that it (the ad[s]) has become a major annoyance.
  • Options
    I just sent off my first batch of 131, I should have another 125-150 ready to go in the next couple of weeks, and another 100-150 by the end of March. I just love saving that buck a card. Call me cheap but those dollars add up.

THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    Frank - They range from 1952 through 1975 but most are from 1968 to 1975. I'm hoping for a high percentage of 9's since a fair amount of these were from my own sets. My duplicates that I deemed lower grade did quite well so these should do even better. I do have some '72's in there but nothing near what it would take to move into the top 5. image
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    John> In looking through my own submission, as well as conversations with Frank, it seems PSA has gotten increasingly stingy with 9s in the past couple months. I definitely wish you luck.

Mike
  • Options
    I agree:there is less 9s and 10s for vinatge as of late. I think if a card has earned a 9 or a 10 then it should be slabbed a 9 or a 10 . After all, that is honestly reporting the the quality of cards in existence. Dont let quotas and false shortages affect the grade on a card. A reputation is upheld with good honest practices.
  • Options
    mcastaldi - I'm surprised. The previous submission I was refering to just came back in late January. Maybe I just got lucky?
  • Options
    Mike y John,

I did very well with my last submission of 114 72's: 16-9's, 3-7's and the rest 8's. These showed up about a week ago. I was really careful what I pulled though.

I'm about to send in over 1000 1970's cards from 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 78, and 79. Have to take advantage of the great price. I've scoured through all my high grade 70's cards and pulled every one worth grading. It will be interesting.

EJ
    1972 Topps Baseball PSA 8 or higher/1978 Topps Baseball PSA 9 or higher.
  • Options
    John, Erik, Mike,

I would not doubt that my increased 7's and lowered 9 output could have something to do with the fact that my goal was set completion versus getting high grade cards to trade. I definitely have nicer cards that could be sent - just not ones that fill holes in my sets. Pretty soon, I won't need very many 72's for the set - so I'll start playing the upgrade and trade game with my lots into PSA.

I've got a dollar that says that all three of you are MUCH more dilligent about what you send in than I am.

And I agree with BBNUT. I'd much rather have a PSA 7 than a PRO 9.
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    Frank,

When do you plan to fill out your set with 7's?

Carlos
  • Options
    I'll start filling with 7's when I'm at 98% and I see Erik at 97%. At that point, you may see some 6's, some 5OC's and anything else that could get me to 100%.image
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    BBNUT - PSA doesn't operate with quotas and false shortages that you eluded to. Plain and simple, if your card is a mint 9 quality, it will be slabbed a PSA-9! Case in point, I bought a batch of 1966's with the sole purpose of grading, I went over every one with a fine tooth comb and only the best few dozen were submitted. My results were a PSA-10, 7 PSA-9's and mainly 8's remaining, rec'd a 7 and a 5 (wrinkle on card back) as well.
    Obviously I was happy w/ my results. A couple months later while adding to a 120+ submission, I included more of those '66's looking for the same results. The '66's submitted were roughly the same quanity as before, and now my results were 2 PSA-9's and the remainder in 8's and 7's. So my point is that PSA's standards havent got tougher, the quality of submissions were a tad bit lower...jay
  • Options
    I got the grades posted for one of the invoices after only 6 business days! Well I finally got the monkey off my back by receiving my first PSA 10! It's only a '73 common but it'll be great to finally have a gem mint card in my collection. Hopefully Mike has started a trend here and we'll all see more 10's in our future.

I did pretty well overall getting 1 10, 29 9's, 41 8's and 7 7's. Can't wait to see what I get on the remaining 400 or so cards.
  • Options
    John,
    That's outstanding. Congrats on the 10. Regardless of which card it is, I have a hard time referring to any vintage PSA10 card as a "common".

Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

Thanks. You're right about these cards not being common. It will be scarcer than a PSA 9 card of any star in the 73 set.

By the way, I also managed an '8' on the #4 1972 1st series checklist. I was hoping for a 9 but I can't win them all. image
  • Options
    Sweet John - congrats!!!

Were these all 73's in this lot?

Still looking for the damned elusive "10" that I can call my own...
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    John, Who is the lucky common to adorn a PSA-10 label?...jay
  • Options
    John,

Congratulations on your 10...Jay asked before I could...Who did you get in a PSA 10 holder?

Carlos

• Options
    John> I consider that #4 Checklist to be one of the 5 or 10 most difficult cards in the set. The one I submitted and received an 8 on was the first ungraded example I saw that didn't look like a total train wreck.

Mike
  • Options
    It was the famed 1973 Topps #361 Fran Healy. Interestingly, it was also card #10 on the invoice! image

FB and others, if you're interested in the years/cards submitted, the invoice # is 797479. There were a handful of '72's in there but those of you in the top 5 need not worry. I'm still a long way off.
  • Options
    John,

Would you be willing to part with this card?

1974 TOPPS TRADED 390T LOU PINIELLA 8

Carlos

• Options
    69topps8
    Would you be interested in trading or selling some of the 1972 PSA 9's that you just got in?
    Always looking for 1915 Cracker Jack in PSA 7's & 8's!
  • Options
    Carlos,

I'll need to submit my other (nicer???) Piniella that's in my set to ensure it will 8. I'll do that on my next submission which should come up within the month. Assuming I get another 8, I'll be happy to trade.

I'll consider trading a few of my duplicate 9's for other 9's that I need. Let me know what you have to trade. The rest I'll post on eBay because my choice is to trade them and not submit another batch for a looong time, or keep turning the inventory and submit on a regular basis. I prefer the latter so I can keep filtering 9's into my collection. My eBay ID is 'gemint' in case you're interested. (Sorry to post the sales pitch in the wrong forum)
  • Options
    Frank,

You'll get your ten when you least expect it. Hopefully it will be soon.

Good luck!
  • Options
    69topps8

Can you email me at amontero5@aol.com to discuss a trade. Thanks!
    Always looking for 1915 Cracker Jack in PSA 7's & 8's!
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    69topps8-

If you have any desire to sell that Fran Healy PSA 10 card directly, please let me know! I would be very happy to perhaps strike a deal.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Thanks for the offer but I keep the highest grade cards I submit for my sets. Also, being that it is my first ten, it has more sentimental value than monetary value.
  • Options
    John,

As I emailed you - sweet invoice!!!

Glad to see someone else more active on 72. Someone else to whack on a little! Again, congrats on the "10"! If you ever get doubles that you're looking to trade or have particular cards that you're on the lookout for - don't hesitate to email (lynnfrank@earthlink.net).

always a bridesmaid, never a bride...image
    there must be a "10" waiting out there for me somewhere...
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    FB - Thanks, I'll email you my duplicates when I get home.

My grades just posted for another invoice containing mostly pre-1970 cards. Boy did I get hammered! Alot of 5's, 6's and 7's and a few that weren't holdered due to minimum size or signs of alterations. image I'm surprised a PSA 1 quality Rose RC would be altered??? I guess it's payback time for that 10.
  • Options
    John, Hmnnn! The 10th card listed got the PSA-10. Coincidence, maybe, but on all of my future submission forms I will be sure to make sure Mantle, Mays, Clemente, Rose or Aaron adorns the #10 slotimage...jay