Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ripkenintheminors, is this an authentic Ripken 1981 TCMA card?

Chris,

I thought you'd be the guru to ask on this one. I'm picking this up to get autographed for my card collection. It's authentic right?? I think you've indicated the grading companies have slabbed some counterfeit Ripkens so wanted to make sure before I spend the extra funds to get it autographed.

Thanks,

Mike

Buying US Presidential autographs

Comments

• Options
    If you do not own the card yet, I hope it is a fake so I can go to the net54 board and post a negative thread about SGC.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you do not own the card yet, I hope it is a fake so I can go to the net54 board and post a negative thread about SGC. >>

I just agreed to buy it from a guy over there, but I figured I'd better ask Ripkenintheminors before I spent Ripken's signing fee and cracked it out. I figure if its not authentic for some reason that as long as I leave it in the holder, SGC should compensate me.

Mike
  • Options
    If it is authentic, it sure is sharp looking not to be graded higher. Would look good auto'd and in a PSA 9 holder.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    It seems rather grainy. I know nothing about that issue. Maybe they come that way ?
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike:

There have been no confirmed TCMA Ripken counterfeits in the hobby. The supply has met the demand and there has been really no need for the bad guys to 'crank up the press' for this card.
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>Mike:

There have been no confirmed TCMA Ripken counterfeits in the hobby. The supply has met the demand and there has been really no need for the bad guys to 'crank up the press' for this card. >>

Bingo. We could speculate on the subject but at the end of the day none of the major grading services have found a fake. If/When they do find one I'd like to think that the news would be released. As far as slabbed fakes go, PSA has slabbed fake 1981 WTF Company cards as authentic. GEM has been notorious for slabbing fake Charlotte O's issues.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Ironmanfan and Ripkenintheminors, Thanks for y'alls knowledge on the card. I'm going to crack it out then and send it in to an Ironclad Authentics signing. Should look sharp signed. If it stays in the same condition throughout the signing process. Does it look like it could get a PSA 9 if I had it graded after signing? Most of my cards I just get them slabbed authentic and PSA/DNA authenticated, but if it had a chance at a 9 I'd probably have it PSA/DNA authenticated and graded.

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Ironmanfan and Ripkenintheminors, Thanks for y'alls knowledge on the card. I'm going to crack it out then and send it in to an Ironclad Authentics signing. Should look sharp signed. If it stays in the same condition throughout the signing process. Does it look like it could get a PSA 9 if I had it graded after signing? Most of my cards I just get them slabbed authentic and PSA/DNA authenticated, but if it had a chance at a 9 I'd probably have it PSA/DNA authenticated and graded.

Mike >>

I can't tell you how it would come out graded but the numbers would show that it's not too tough to get a 9 on that card. I can tell you from my past experiences with Ironclad that they take very good care of their customers and their item(s). I've always considered sending a minor league card to get signed but never made good on it.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb... oops, sorry, my drool made my b button stick. All better now.

PLEASE share a scan of the finished product! image
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Old TCMA cards look great signed. Can't wait to see the end result! I wish I had known that he was doing a signing, as I need to get an 82 Traded signed. Oh well, I can wait for the next one!
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is $350 a good price for the 1981 TCMA Ripken PSA 10? Has there been an increase in the pop? There a quite a few on ebay in PSA 10.
    Mike